Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

No wonder Toyota is taking over

Old 06-10-2005, 06:41 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BPUKiller,Jun 10 2005, 06:36 PM
Imagine that engine with 30 more horses, slightly lighter, rwd, and manual tranny. Damn I can't wait for the new IS350. Even in auto I bet the new IS350 will edge out a E90 330i 6-speed down a strait line.
Will the IS350 have a MT ? and will the IS350 come in coupe body style? Just wondering b/c that might be a car I'd be interested in.

If they want to be 3-series killers should have MT and Coupe body style.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New cars are my vice, I admit it. Over the past 15 years, I have owned 23 new cars. Of those, the various makes comprise Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Ford, and GM.

I usually owned the vehicles for about 2 years and averaged about 30k miles on each. More so, I had not one, but usually three vehicles at any one time.

From my experiences I have found that Lexus, Toyota, and Honda products were by far the most reliable and not one of them required an unscheduled service.

The Nissan had only two minor problems. The Mazda had a confused transmission that constantly was gear searching. Both the Mazda and Mitsubishi were problem free, but lacked the refinement of their Japanese competitors.

The 3 series BMW got sick every 6 months or so and seemed to require a trip to the sevice department to fix the minor problems. Very inconvenient but the service department had great coffee and pastries that happen to be free of charge.

As for the Ford and GM, mechanical quality was an issue. The Ford developed a starting problem that could never really be corrected after the 20k mark. The GM had the runs, meaning, it was leaky as in in the rear seal and differential. Also, both the Ford and GM transmissions felt like the cars of my youth (66 Mustang and 81 Camaro Z28). These were cars built in the late 90s with the same mechanical technology of 1955. Go figure.

Since many Japanese autos / trucks are built in the US, I truly don't believe it is in the production where many of the "issues" arise, but more in the engineering that designs the vehicles. Just my 2 cents.

While I enjoy my S2000, I would say that the next "best" on my list was the SC430 by Lexus. With any luck, Lexus / Toyota will continue to improve on the "sport" of their products while providing the reliability and quality they are known for. In 18 months when I sell or trade in the S, I'll certainly be looking closely to another convertible by Lexus or Toyota. Then again, if the G35 (or better yet, the 2007 Skyline) offers a convertible option, I'd be sold.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl O.,Jun 10 2005, 11:38 AM
But it's ugly and I question how fun to drive that thing actually is.
I couldn't agree more. I have an 89' Corolla (my beater) and had the front brakes done recently at a Toyota dealer and gagged at how ugly the Avalon sitting in their showroom was. As Triple-H stated above, Toyota's are darn reliable but their styling lacks charisma.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Caffeinated21,Jun 10 2005, 01:59 PM
The TL and the Avalon are in completely different classes; Japenese Buick vs. Japanese 3-series wannabe. The avalon is a larger car, designed with comfort in mind.
Yeah dude I didn't create the comparison, if you read the whole thread you will see that I was commenting on a train of thought that was already out there.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by rai,Jun 10 2005, 02:59 PM
I went to Acura web site, they configure the cars for you (In favor of Acura no doubt) and with "comp equipment" the Avalon was about the same as the TL top of the line v top of the line.

The TL with MT may be quicker, but if you're talking about ATs which the Avalon only has 0-60 6.0sec I'm not sure how much quicker the TL with AT will be.
Wait until you have to slow down and turn, the TL will walk away from an Avalon. Of course the Avalon will be filled with old people so I guess it doesn't have to slow down or turn quickly

Guess we'll see what Toyota is really up to when the new IS debuts. That will be an interesting car.