Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

No wonder Toyota is taking over

Old 06-10-2005, 10:12 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Incubus,Jun 10 2005, 10:01 AM
Pay attention to what kind of warranty you get with KIA as apposed to Toyota and Honda.
What does that mean? Warranty is nothing IMO. Mistu has good Warranty, Isuzu has good warranty, Kia/hyaundai have good warranty all b/c people won't buy them unless they have mad discounts and good warranty. Make sense? If you want to move inferior iron you have to give mad discounts and mad warranty.

If you want an extended warranty you can buy one with honda/toyo. Plus you'll have (IMO) better cars and better resale.

I don't mean to fight, but if you think you think Kia is near equal to Toyota that's great go buy one. I live in a blue-sky world where up is up and down is down and 280hp 25mpg is better than 200hp 18mpg.

IMO Kia is where Toyota was 10 years ago.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Jun 10 2005, 12:55 PM
I donno the Avalon starts at $26K vs $33K for the TL.

The Avalon has a larger and more powerful V6, plus gets better fuel mileage

Plus the TL is a "mid-size" car (ie. accord) while the Avalon is a "Large" car. From Acura.com TL has 34.9" rear leg room Avalon has 40.9"

IMO your argument could have merit if anything was in Favor of the TL.

TL is more expensive, less powerful, less fuel effecient and smaller. sounds like we have a (fanboi) winner

With comp options they cost the same, but with the Toyota if you want you could buy a Avalon sans options for $7K less than a TL.
The TL is nicer inside and out- IMO. With a six speed it's definitely faster and comes with a LSD and Brembos. I also prefer the TL interior and the better warranty and a sweet DVD audio stereo with Bluetooth.

Avalon cheaper? I dunno. My law partner was looking at an Avalon with nav, radar cruise, etc and the dealer wanted $38k+ and would not budge. He drove to the Lexus dealer and picked up an LS430.

I'm not sure you can get a TL up to $38k, I guess maybe with the A-Spec package. When I was picked up my TSX I could have had a 6 speed TL in any color, with nav, for less than $33k or an auto without nav for $30k. Dunno what the market is now but might want to flesh out some of those Avalon options to really compare the two cars.

I suppose you can get a strippo model Avalon for $26k (if they actually exist on dealer lots), and with that engine it would be quick for the money. But it's ugly and I question how fun to drive that thing actually is.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Karl O.,Jun 10 2005, 10:38 AM
The TL is nicer inside and out- IMO. With a six speed it's definitely faster and comes with a LSD and Brembos. I also prefer the TL interior and the better warranty and a sweet DVD audio stereo with Bluetooth.
The TL and the Avalon are in completely different classes; Japenese Buick vs. Japanese 3-series wannabe. The avalon is a larger car, designed with comfort in mind.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 AM
rai

Originally Posted by Karl O.,Jun 10 2005, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure you can get a TL up to $38k, I guess maybe with the A-Spec package. When I was picked up my TSX I could have had a 6 speed TL in any color, with nav, for less than $33k or an auto without nav for $30k. Dunno what the market is now but might want to flesh out some of those Avalon options to really compare the two cars.
I went to Acura web site, they configure the cars for you (In favor of Acura no doubt) and with "comp equipment" the Avalon was about the same as the TL top of the line v top of the line.

The TL with MT may be quicker, but if you're talking about ATs which the Avalon only has 0-60 6.0sec I'm not sure how much quicker the TL with AT will be.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:39 PM

Try non manufacturer byassed sites for your comparision next time. www.edmunds.com I see your argument about the Avalon being a larger class car, but I still say for features for the $$ the TL wins, plus the Avalon is FUGLY
Old 06-10-2005, 12:51 PM
rai

I see your argument about the Avalon being a larger class car, but I still say for features for the $$ the TL wins, plus the Avalon is FUGLY
I see. But just think if this engine gets in a new ES that'd be a nice car.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its nice to see Toyota putting some HP in their cars. The Avalon automatic sounds quicker then the TL automatic. The TL should do 0-60 in about 6.5 secs and the 1/4 mile in ~14.9. The Avalon probably has a torque advantage. I'd still take the TL though. Just looks better. Plus I think when you equip them to the same level they will cost about as much. The Avalon Limited is starting at $33,500 and you gotta buy a basic options package and pay for your floor mats.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rai,Jun 10 2005, 12:51 PM
I see. But just think if this engine gets in a new ES that'd be a nice car.
To me if you put the 3.5L V6 in the ES it's still pretty much the same car as Avalon...soft suspension and FWD.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:28 PM

Perfect Foggie car
Old 06-10-2005, 06:36 PM

Imagine that engine with 30 more horses, slightly lighter, rwd, and manual tranny. Damn I can't wait for the new IS350. Even in auto I bet the new IS350 will edge out a E90 330i 6-speed down a strait line.
Nice to see some of you compare a large non-lux. brand to a mid size Acura. I guess that shows you how nice the Avalon really is and how the TL continues to slip. I have to admit, I like the TL, but after driving one it did not impress with the auto. I felt much slower than the 6-speed Accord coupe I tested earlier that day. They told me the same tranny in the 6 speed Accord is used on the TL. I did not like the off-on feel of the clutch. On top of all that the TL seemed to flex and creek a little when I took turns. I had the older TL and a GS-R and it seems after 20K miles interior trim parts made noises and didn't really feel put together as well as my Lexus cars.

Sam

Quick Reply: No wonder Toyota is taking over