Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

No idea why people consider a Cayman over a 911

Old 03-25-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
I tried to locate an available GT4 allocation, but clearly waited far too long. I think a regular Cayman would be a better fit for me anyway, but I would kill to drive them all.
You can easily buy a GT4 if you want it one. It may not be on the first shipment. Nothing is barring you from buying one.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by rwheelz' timestamp='1427301261' post='23554171
I tried to locate an available GT4 allocation, but clearly waited far too long. I think a regular Cayman would be a better fit for me anyway, but I would kill to drive them all.
You can easily buy a GT4 if you want it one. It may not be on the first shipment. Nothing is barring you from buying one.
If by "easily" you mean paying $25k over MSRP or waiting two years in line for one, then I guess you're right.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
If by "easily" you mean paying $25k over MSRP or waiting two years in line for one, then I guess you're right.
Neither at my local dealer. They are taking orders at MSRP.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1427309718' post='23554356
Neither at my local dealer. They are taking orders at MSRP.
There are several threads on Planet 9 right now between 5 and 15 pages deep of people ONLY talking about GT4 allocations (and the trading thereof). People are literally calling all over the country trying to get one. There is much gnashing of teeth, pulling of hair, and crying in the streets. A dealer can theoretically take as many orders as they want - one, two, 10, 400 orders - but it really doesn't matter. Hard fact is that only about 800 are coming to the country and 918 owners got first dibs at them. That will leave about 600 for the general population for the first year. If a dealer gets any at all, it will probably only be between 1 and 3 cars TOTAL for the first year. I live in Atlanta and have two of the largest Porsche dealers around. The guy there told me they would be lucky if they got two of them. They also said they have a line of 10 people ready to buy the car right now - and that was six weeks ago.

So while theoretically you can go down to the dealership and place an order for whatever you want, actually getting the car is going to be another matter entirely. The supply simply cannot match demand right now and what little supply there is has already been claimed.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:02 PM

I saw a brand new Turbo S about an hour ago walking my dog. Car drove by at 20 mph max. It was black and with the side vents I first thought it was a Cayman S until it was real close.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:56 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I saw a brand new Turbo S about an hour ago walking my dog. Car drove by at 20 mph max. It was black and with the side vents I first thought it was a Cayman S until it was real close.
You need an eye exam

And you cannot get a GT4 at MSRP and actually get one. My co-worker paid a 918 owner 5K for his #1 spot to get a car in the first run.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1427320973' post='23554628
You need an eye exam

And you cannot get a GT4 at MSRP and actually get one. My co-worker paid a 918 owner 5K for his #1 spot to get a car in the first run.
It's the side vents on the Cayman and Turbo that give it more of Carrera GT look than the regular 911.

My friend that has the '14 Cayman S has asked me to pick up his car at the dealership this weekend while he is away. The dealer packs in cars and he is worried about scratches. Will be fun to drive it around this weekend. I think it'll be the dealership to his garage unless it is nice out. I don't want to be on the hook for anything; just a favor.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:57 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz' timestamp='1427301261' post='23554171

But something is barring me from actually getting one any time soon, as others have described. I called all over and eventually gave up and ordered a different car.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
The OP drove a previous generation Cayman, which is slower, looser, and of lower quality all around than the new Cayman. I also drove 986 Cayman and went away only moderately impressed. However about two months later I drove the latest generation 981 Cayman S and was so blown away it that I decided to buy one. It was a different league of car.
Please point out this mythical 986 Cayman? Cayman didn't exist on the 986 chassis code. Anywho, a 987 Cayman R > 981 Cayman S. Worlds better steering feel and more mechanical; doesn't need to rely on an E-Diff to handle well.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:56 AM

The steering on the current Cayman S is a let down; I was expecting more road feel and was little disappointed. Engine & brakes are dandy. Really cool lighting; inside and out. Paint job is top notch and the communication center is neat.

Quick Reply: No idea why people consider a Cayman over a 911