Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

No idea why people consider a Cayman over a 911

Old 09-27-2013, 01:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No idea why people consider a Cayman over a 911

The local Porsche dealership has two cars I'm interested in.

I first started with the '06 Cayman S:

-Immediately the first thing I noticed was the mushy shifter. Granted I drove there in a 355 but it was definitely mushy feeling, maybe even "cheap".
-Clutch wasn't too heavy like I am used to.
-Car feels well built, typical Porsche build I guess, but maybe just slightly less (I've had two 911s previously).
-MASSIVE blind spot on the rear, that would take some getting used to.
-Stereo was meh, interior overall was not too bad.
-Car made nice sounds, that was great to hear
-Of course it handled very well, no surprise there

Overall I was pleased with the car and started considering it. The 06 911 was at the top end of my price range, so I thought "what the hell, it's probably not going to impress me much over the Cayman anyways, let's test drive that one for giggles".

911 S results:

-Within minutes of driving it I knew I would have to have this car!
-Build quality was much nicer than the Cayman.
-Everything just feels right - really solid - clutch, shifter was amazing, steering, and the connection with the road was spot on, I could feel everything in the steering wheel.
-Interior was great, a little used for its mileage, but very nice tan interior, great seats (driver bolster was in good shape for once), alcantara roof liner (my favorite)
-Stereo was surprisingly nice. We were stopped at a light and I heard some bass coming from somewhere, I scanned the cars and tried to stereotype which one it might be coming from but couldn't find it...then I inquisitively raised the volume and sure enough the Bose (which usually I hate Bose) had very tight bass and decent mids/highs. I didn't have much time to tweak the EQ though, but I was quite impressed.
-Car revs very quickly, faster than the Cayman. This made rev-matching very easy and fun to do.
-Had a sunroof, I love sunroofs.

I love that car. Even if this deal falls through, I will absolutely be on the search for a 997. While driving it I couldn't help but wonder why you would get a Cayman over it. Even on the track you would have to be a very skilled driver to even benefit from having the mid-ranged Cayman. Now I know I just stirred the pot with track junkies so we'll let that commence.

I'll be having wet dreams of that 911 tonight (either that or the sexy white 991s that was there...*drool*).
Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wondered the same thing but will refrain from judgment until I have more experience with the Cayman. I currently have none other than the fact that many peers here love them. I tend to trust the S2000 camp when it comes to cars.

Thanks for the share!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

I'm not a Cayman fan I'd rather have a Boxster S, but I'd get a 911 over both.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mid-engine comes to mind.

That said as much as I liked the Caymen I drove I'd rather have a 911.

Evan
Old 09-27-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

mid engine > rear engine. Cayman S (& definitely R) over any 911 variant except GT3 & Turbo

But ive only driven a 09 + cayman S & R.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
The 06 911 was at the top end of my price range
Isn't that the reason people consider it?

But really comparing a 290hp car to a 355hp car isn't fair is it? Two trunks, maybe thats why people like the cayman

I had a similar experience in driving them back to back but I didn't "have to have" either of them. Too much money for what you get. I bought another S2000 instead. Just didnt make sense to pay 3X as much for a car that was only 1.1 x as good.

(In fairness I wasn't planning on buying either, I just wanted to drive one in case I found one I liked, I was almost ready to fly across the country for this beautiful custom blue 09 997S)

Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

The new Cayman S is supposedly much better than the last generation. I think it's a better comparison to a 997S. That said, I'd definitely take the 997S over the 987 Cayman S. I'm debating the new Cayman S, though - have yet to drive it - but reports seem to indicate it's just as fast, lighter, nimbler and a better driver's car compared to prior 911s AND Caymans.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

I don't care for the Cayman aestheticly, nothing to do with the way it drives. It just does nothing for me, the rear end proportions just don't flow well to me.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

All about that 911 Turbo 6MT. Yummm!
Old 09-27-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well obviously stock for stock, Porsche is gonna make the 911 better than the Cayman. If the Cayman was better and cheaper, they wouldn't sell very many 911s now would they?

I think the reason people prefer the Cayman over the 911 is because the potential in the Cayman is higher than it is in a 911. Porsche couldn't make the Cayman as good as it could have been because then it would have been better than the 911. So they make the Cayman just enough "better" than the Boxster to justify the price, but make sure the 911 is just enough "better" than the Cayman in order to justify the price for that car, and hope to shmooze people into buying the more expensive car (Which seems to be working)

Quick Reply: No idea why people consider a Cayman over a 911