Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nissan Delta Wing

Old 03-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke Togo
It might be wise to consider a whole bunch of certified race car and even street car engineers have poured over this design, for literally tens of thousands of hours. In both simulator and real world testing to even get to this point.

The whole idea with this car was to inspire, not just people watching it race but the rule makers who have knee capped the development of so many series for fear of the unknown.

I think it's ugly as hell but whatevs I hope it does well. From the video of it doing laps at Buttonwillow it looks pretty quick and with the range advantage it will probably do quite well.
We'll see. I bet money on it that a similarly weighted/powered car with a conventional setup will be the faster car around the track. I like neat, new ideas but this one has "compromise for the sake of inspiration" written all over it.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by Duke Togo' timestamp='1331934722' post='21516105
It might be wise to consider a whole bunch of certified race car and even street car engineers have poured over this design, for literally tens of thousands of hours. In both simulator and real world testing to even get to this point.

The whole idea with this car was to inspire, not just people watching it race but the rule makers who have knee capped the development of so many series for fear of the unknown.

I think it's ugly as hell but whatevs I hope it does well. From the video of it doing laps at Buttonwillow it looks pretty quick and with the range advantage it will probably do quite well.
We'll see. I bet money on it that a similarly weighted/powered car with a conventional setup will be the faster car around the track. I like neat, new ideas but this one has "compromise for the sake of inspiration" written all over it.
If it loses a few seconds around the track, but is twice as efficient AND inspires other teams/sanctioning bodies to push the envelope then I'd say the compromise is well worth it.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:46 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke Togo' timestamp='1331934722' post='21516105

The front wheel location is purely sensational imo. Move the wheels further out and the benefits to handling and stability far outweigh any increased drag.

The case this car makes is more a reflection on how bloated normal race cars are - in that article it states that LMP1 cars weigh 2,600 pounds...
Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by vividracing.com
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1331936639' post='21516216
[quote name='Duke Togo' timestamp='1331934722' post='21516105']

If it loses a few seconds around the track, but is twice as efficient AND inspires other teams/sanctioning bodies to push the envelope then I'd say the compromise is well worth it.
[/quote]

What EVERYONE is forgetting is that there are rules and regulations for all the other cars in the racing world to meet/comply with. Tons of people/companies could make ultra-light, ultra-quick cars if they didn't have rules to limit them.

Rules are there for a few reasons. Improved safety, reduced cost, closer competition, etc, etc. Someone making a car outside of the rules that is "radically different" or "efficient" or whatever is pointless if they can't actually race it! It's an engineering exercise in being cool.

As I said, let everyone disregard the rules and you'll see cars that blow this thing away in every regard. There is nothing about this suspension/chassis layout that gives it a pure advantage EXCEPT (potentially) the aerodynamic improvement of having a narrow car profile (less swept area) that reduces drag/fuel economy. In a long race, that's a big deal. In a short race, it's almost worthless (ie, a race where you have to refuel only once or twice). Problem is, losing a few seconds each lap isn't going to make up for the time savings of not having a pitstop in most cases...

In the end, the argument is theoretical as we don't really know how fast this car is, nor how fuel efficient. I just cannot see how it is going to be faster than or as fast as a comparable conventionally built car.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
The front wheel location is purely sensational imo. Move the wheels further out and the benefits to handling and stability far outweigh any increased drag.

The case this car makes is more a reflection on how bloated normal race cars are - in that article it states that LMP1 cars weigh 2,600 pounds...
NM - read you wrong. Completely agree.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT' timestamp='1331948780' post='21516666

What benefits to handling are you claiming? I can't think of a single one with a narrow front end like that.

What benefits to stability are you claiming? A long wheelbase is stable but you can have that on a conventionally built car any time you want.

LMP1 cars have to survive actual racing. This car is going around a track by itself with no traffic, no debris, and no darkness.
Jon - I think you read Saki backward.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Thanks - I think you're right. Wonders never cease - I agree with him!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Nissan has you talking about one of there cars. Mission Accomplished !
Old 03-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by vividracing.com' timestamp='1331940036' post='21516345
[quote name='JonBoy' timestamp='1331936639' post='21516216']
[quote name='Duke Togo' timestamp='1331934722' post='21516105']

[/quote]

What EVERYONE is forgetting is that there are rules and regulations for all the other cars in the racing world to meet/comply with. Tons of people/companies could make ultra-light, ultra-quick cars if they didn't have rules to limit them.

Rules are there for a few reasons. Improved safety, reduced cost, closer competition, etc, etc. Someone making a car outside of the rules that is "radically different" or "efficient" or whatever is pointless if they can't actually race it! It's an engineering exercise in being cool.

As I said, let everyone disregard the rules and you'll see cars that blow this thing away in every regard. There is nothing about this suspension/chassis layout that gives it a pure advantage EXCEPT (potentially) the aerodynamic improvement of having a narrow car profile (less swept area) that reduces drag/fuel economy. In a long race, that's a big deal. In a short race, it's almost worthless (ie, a race where you have to refuel only once or twice). Problem is, losing a few seconds each lap isn't going to make up for the time savings of not having a pitstop in most cases...

In the end, the argument is theoretical as we don't really know how fast this car is, nor how fuel efficient. I just cannot see how it is going to be faster than or as fast as a comparable conventionally built car.
[/quote]

The fundamental idea, which has yet to be proven, is that this design can go just as fast, be just as safe etc with less power thus better mileage. Normally a narrow front track would hurt a car but a normal car doesn't have as much weight at the back nor does a normal car have a torque vectoring rear axle to aid steering.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUdKk_lp2qk

Top 5 finish at Petit Le Mans in only it's second race I think is a pretty damn good job.

Quick Reply: Nissan Delta Wing