Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nissan 350z, Mazda RX-8, or Subaru wrx-sti?

Old 04-23-2003, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan 350z, Mazda RX-8, or Subaru wrx-sti?

Hey guys, I have a question. For any of you guys that have experience or knowledge with any of these cars, I would truly appreciate your opinion. I was thinking about any of these three cars but needed some advice. I've seen the 350z out on the streets and it looks pretty good, but I haven't seen the Mazda RX-8. For any of you guys that have seen the RX-8, how does the looks of it compare to the 350z? Also, I've heard that Mazdas rotary weren't really that reliable. What do you guys think? Which car do you think would be more reliable in the long run? Which company is of higher quality? Also, what about the Subaru sti?
Old 04-23-2003, 03:09 AM

The answer...............The S2000..............
Old 04-23-2003, 03:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rx8 is more comprable to the S than the Z is. both are light weight, nimble, low torque, and high revving. i've yet to test drive the rx8, but most car mags like it. i guess you should get the rx8 over the S if and only if you need those back seats. otherwise, i imagine the S would be a more rewarding car to own and drive. as for the Z, it has gobs of torque with lots of electronic traction intervention. it is an easy car to go fast in, which can be good if you are not an experienced speed racer. otherwise, imo, the S is more rewarding to go fast, cuz it requires skill and devotion to make it go fast. as for the STI, it is not out yet, and the final specs have not been released. i'd imagine the STI will be a performance beast just like the mitsu EVO, with performance specs comprable to those of exotics costing 4X as much. they are totally worth the money...if you can get your hands on them. of course if you have to pay over $38K after mark-up, i'd forgo it. $40K+ after tax and liscense for a suburu, regardless of how fast it is, is a lot of money!!
Old 04-23-2003, 04:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moved from S2000 Talk
Old 04-23-2003, 07:47 AM

i would go with the STI. it looks awesome and has a lot of power. the price is going to be 30,900 + 550. go to www.nasioc.com you will find a lot of information about the car there.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EVO
Old 04-23-2003, 08:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The RX8 isn't out yet either. And they are not in showrooms. It seems they will hit the dealerships in late June/July depending on where you are in the country. And a lot of those cars (if not all) will already be spoken for.

I had an S2000, and now have an RX8 on order. The N/A rotary engine actually has a good track record when it comes to reliability. It was the 3rd gen RX-7 that was turbo charged that has had most of the problems. The S2000 is an awesome car and I miss not having the top down. But living in NJ, you can only have the top down so long. So I decided to trade the S back in and see what else is out there. I love the RX7 and have always wanted one, but the reliability issues have scared me away. So I figured I would try the next best thing. I'm hoping for a bit nicer interior from the RX8 then the S2000, and close to the same fun factor. I can only say close, because nothing beats putting the top down IMO.

Also the RX8 does have traction control. I looked at the Z, but it just didn't do it for me. First, it just looks huge to me. I didn't get to test drive one, but I'm sure it's fun. And I've already seen a ton of them. I do expect though to see a ton of RX8s also when they come out.

And like someone said, if you want to wait for the STi, might as well go look at an EVO.

ERIK
Old 04-23-2003, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by eyescream
EVO
I don't think that is one of his choices.

I would go for the STi if you can get it close to sticker. Will be a monster of a car.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:58 PM

STI
Old 04-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have money down already on an STI you can pretty much cross that off your list. Unless you are looking to purchase 2 years down the road.

Quick Reply: Nissan 350z, Mazda RX-8, or Subaru wrx-sti?