Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nice Porsche

Old 09-02-2002, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, the rims are cool but, with all the extra money this guy spent, he could of just got a carrera 911.
Old 09-02-2002, 11:05 PM

thats a fine automobile. enuff with the wing=rice, aerodownforce is the most significant factor in top echelon production and race vehicles, so get used to it......whether its for real 4g lateral acceleration or for a tribute to downforce on a personal ride.
Old 09-02-2002, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by sfphinkterMC
thats a fine automobile. enuff with the wing=rice, aerodownforce is the most significant factor in top echelon production and race vehicles, so get used to it......whether its for real 4g lateral acceleration or for a tribute to downforce on a personal ride.
true but not true.
big wings are not really necessary for downforce, especially for street cars.
take a look at the design of new f60 for example- where's the wing? (whispers, "underbody diffuser! underbody diffuser!")
and which car do you think is closer to a true race car?
Old 09-03-2002, 05:59 AM

sfphinkter, you don't seriously think that all of those ricer wings on those cavaliers, civics, neons, and accords actually add downforce, do you? granted, maybe ~3% of those BTCC-esque wings are actually beneficial in the aero department; but the fact of the matter is that those wings are merely for aesthetics; for people who think it makes their car faster (the same people who think stickers and fart cans make their car quicker, btw).

if anything, those wings add drag, drag, and more drag... not to mention an eyesore... I've even seen a CRX with a 'Supra' spoiler ont the roof!

the only cars (readily available to consumers) that have truly functional wings/spoilers are the Audi TT and VW New Beetle, both of which were mandated to wear that wing after numerous fatalities from high speed crashes (only in Europe, i would assume; the egg shape created tremendous lift). of course, you can't leave out the G35 and 911 series, esp. the GT3 and GT2, but other than those, all of these passenger cars with spoilers have them simply for aesthetic purposes.

oh, and i guess those trunk lips (i.e. on M5s, E55s, etc.) would count as well...
Old 09-03-2002, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by KaiWang
anyone know what kind of rims are on that boxster????
They are the 3 piece version of the OZ Superleggerra, available through TireRack. Can you say "deep dish"?
Old 09-04-2002, 02:14 PM

Sure, the spoiler on a G35 is "real" but the factory spoiler on a Civic EX is "fake." I see, if the manufacturer makes a neat Flash presentation, then the wing is functional, otherwise it is "looks-only."

Please. The wing on the back of that Boxster is capable of providing more than enough downforce for the speeds that car can acheive. Is that good or bad? I don't know, but it sure looks rice to me. The wing on the Supra looks good, regardless of its aero function. That is not rice.

The only mid/rear-engine cars I have driven are Fiero GTs. One had the wing, one did not. The wing on Fiero GTs was not cosmetic, I can say that with authority. Without the wing, the Fiero drove like a sprint car on ice. With it, it was incredibly quick and agile, and though not hard to smoke the tires, it was hard to slide it around, like the wingless one. Based on my experience, I would prefer a wing on the back of my MR2 or Porsche, please. (Though not the one on the Boxster).

Besides, does a manufacturer have to demonstrate that their cars actually take flight before some kind of rear spoiler seems like common sense?
Old 09-04-2002, 09:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by 99GT
Besides, does a manufacturer have to demonstrate that their cars actually take flight before some kind of rear spoiler seems like common sense?
Yes.

Don't mean to be blunt, but most spoilers are truly cosmetic. There are some that have a very quantifiable impact on stability at higher speeds, but most of them don't provide any more effect than sticking a couple pounds of weight in the trunk of the car.

Spoilers on an Infinity are just as silly as spoilers on a Cavalier. On several of the older Porsches they were needed to get air to the motor as much as downforce.

This is not to say that most cars probably wouldn't benefit from some aerodynamic aids at their limits, but there are just some cars that shouldn't be pushed to those limits.

The simple reality is that most cars that have these aerodynamic aids on them (many S2000s included) will never be pushed to a point where those aids are much more than for looks.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:21 PM

actually, the spoiler on the Infiniti G35 does have an effect: zero lift. spoiler/wings aren't only for downforce...
Old 09-04-2002, 10:42 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Assuming the car without the spoiler has positive lift and with the spoiler is able to achieve zero lift, then effect of the spoiler would be downforce, wouldn't it?

Spoilers/wings have but two purposes...lift and downforce...
Old 09-04-2002, 11:12 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't hold my tounge any longer. OZ's - very nice. Too bad we can't have that kind of dish on our cars. The rest of that eyesore is laughable.

I feel better now.

lig

Quick Reply: Nice Porsche