Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nice cars and co-worker jealousy

Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andy g,Feb 1 2007, 07:55 AM
The s is my daily, and yes I catch crap but not because it is a nice car. I live in baton rouge so the lot I park in is full of Full size chevy trucks
(all the guys) and full size suvs( all the ladies) with the exeption of a 745 I or clk550 amg(the boss). The worst part is most of the trucks are done up exaust, intake, chip. So they all drag race and watch nascar. Ive told them about autox but they had no clue what that was. They said " you race that thing whats it got like 90hp!" So at work I try to stay away from the topic as much as I can.
I thinks you need to take em for a little ride and show em what 90 hp can do!
My S is not a daily driver but I get the same as you - Those Nascar,Corvette lovers seem to have Zero understanding of what Honda's little roadster is all about and less than Zero understanding of what Formula 1 is.
So after 25 years of hearing Vette this and Vette that is it any wonder some of us Really Hate the Plastic Fantastic.
Which reminds me last fall my neighbor came over as I was through washing the S and I told him that Vette owners did not understand what it was. He said" Lady he worked with had a C5 Convertible and had been in the shop 5 times in 2 or 3 years ; POS in his opinion " I just had to laugh
Old 02-02-2007, 12:13 PM

If you get it , be as low key and discreet as possible.

I am absolutely for the 'fck what others think' mentality.... on the internet. Being defensive and arguing about 'my car is better than yours' with stranger is an absolute waste of time.

However, its wise not to harbor this attitude in the workplace when matters of money are a sensitivity. People judge by nature, and its best to avoid that spotlight when possible.

Its not only lowers who think 'what a showoff', but also uppers who think 'how brash and irresponsible'
Old 02-02-2007, 07:13 PM

What irks me is getting attitude from the coworkers who drive giant SUVs that cost 10k more and get 10 mpg less.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten more attention in 1 week of owning the Cayman S than I got in the last 13 months w/ my 2nd S2000. Fortunately, it's all been positive, my co-workers have a good attitude. I really don't like the attention, though...I only told one co-worker friend w/ a Boxster, she asked for a ride, and next thing you know everyone is asking or making comments about it. One guy told me that company security and the Austin Police Dept. were coming down to ask me some questions about embezzling funds. LOL

My $.02 is that I earn every penny I'm paid and manage my money conservatively, so what's the big deal if I want a nice car? Once I get through break-in, I'll prob. go back to mostly commuting in my Avalanche.

I do feel like a bit of a dumbass for buying it, though. I was originally planning on buying this summer, using the proceeds of my fully owned S2000, annual bonus, and some stock option proceeds to pay for it. I found a killer deal on a <1000 mile used one, though, so I accelerated my timing w/ some bridge financing. Today our company announced no bonus for this year, so I'll have it financed a bit longer than I'd planned.

Had I known beforehand, I probably would have just kept my S2000. Now that I'm infatuated w/ the CS, however, it's a keeper!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:34 AM

I never say anything about a new car or new anything else unless I know the person pretty well. The people who are interested will ask and it's pretty easy tell between the genuinely interested and the resenters who will probably try to bait you into an argument. Who knows what drives these people but insecurity is usually part of it.

Just don't take the bait and they will soon move on to another target. What you drive is your own business. How you handle yourself is what most bosses will look at. Like Henry Ford II said, "never complain,never explain".

I will say this however. If you just came into an inheritance or hit it big in the stock market it's not smart, for a lot of reasons, to show your new wealth with a car that is obviously beyond your work position. That will raise questions about your judgment with a boss and others.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:45 PM

I get alot of sometimes friendly prodding at work about my cars. Since I started with the company in 2001, I have had the 2001 S2000, 2002 Corvette z06 lots of comments on that one, 2003 VW Jetta, 2005 Infiniti G35, 2005 S2000, and now back to the G35.

When I had the z06 I always heard people say "we must pay him too much". People like my boss that make 4x my salary and drive a 98 CRV with like 120k on it. Non car people will never understand the things we do. When the lease is up on the g35 I am going to get a BMW 335 or a c6, not sure yet and hell yeah I will be driving it to work.

The funny thing is I only made 44k last year, but my wife made around 75k, we have a house, a daughter, and a dog and $1100 a month in car lease payments. We also in live in one of the most expensive areas in NJ, it is all about how you allocate your funds. We like expensive things. Some people spend their money on drinking, we do not drink often. We only take one 1 week vacation a year. We eat a lot of fast food, just because we love it.

IMHO, **** other people, you know what opinions are like and we all have one.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:11 PM

must be nice to afford a z06 on a 44k annual salary
Old 02-04-2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by vinsanity,Feb 4 2007, 11:11 PM
must be nice to afford a z06 on a 44k annual salary
It was 33k back in 2002

Downpayment and leasing FTW
Old 02-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You have a certain philosophy. Your car selections are a representation of that philosophy. Others may not share that same philosophy. They may be more risk averse and choose to build equity and / or save money. That's neither good nor bad. But the "safe" people will likely have little sympathy for you if you get burned by the risks you take... if God forbid something were to happen to your wife's job, or if sudden a sudden unforseen medical condition arose and one of you were unable to work... you'd be in a world of hurt.

Remember the fable about the Grasshopper and the Ant?

Didn't the Ant let the Grasshopper freeze to death when things got lean?

Call it jealousy, envy, or practicality... but people like to be right and won't hesitate to remind you of it....

Just my $0.02
Old 02-05-2007, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CKit,Feb 4 2007, 11:58 PM

You have a certain philosophy. Your car selections are a representation of that philosophy. Others may not share that same philosophy. They may be more risk averse and choose to build equity and / or save money. That's neither good nor bad. But the "safe" people will likely have little sympathy for you if you get burned by the risks you take... if God forbid something were to happen to your wife's job, or if sudden a sudden unforseen medical condition arose and one of you were unable to work... you'd be in a world of hurt.

Remember the fable about the Grasshopper and the Ant?

Didn't the Ant let the Grasshopper freeze to death when things got lean?

Call it jealousy, envy, or practicality... but people like to be right and won't hesitate to remind you of it....

Just my $0.02
I think they're way overspending on cars relative to their income, and will likely regret it down the road. They better set aside some extra $$$ for med. expenses down the road eating nothing but fast food!

Quick Reply: Nice cars and co-worker jealousy