Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nice cars and co-worker jealousy

Old 02-01-2007, 07:48 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I work at a large company and park in a lot of probably 200+ cars (one of many lots on the campus) and I can honestly say that if I didn't drive people to lunch occasionally, none of my coworkers, and certainly not my boss's boss would know what I drove.

Obviously, I'm not as high visibility as Corey since he's a top-level employee and I'm a grunt, but I think some people kind of overstate things a little. If you work at a large firm and don't ever bring your car up, most people will never know what you drive.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vinsanity,Feb 1 2007, 02:54 PM
hah...my office is the opposite of what most of you describe. our parking structure is full of BMW's, Lexuses, and a handful of M-B's and G35's. it's like people here actually do try to give the impression of perceived wealth. I still do get the ladies in the office telling me how "cute" my car is and the occasional exec expressing interest in it; I'm pretty quick to tell the execs that I bought the car when it was 6 years old
Imagine that....people in California trying to look more wealthy and successful than they are....wow....I am shocked.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andy g,Feb 1 2007, 10:33 PM
...rolex, gold chain, 745, 10k in a money clip all the time...
Let me know where he works....we need to roll him and split the $10k....you can keep the Rolex too. LOL!!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still of the opinion you drive what ya want and life is too short to be controlled by what other people think.

The irony for me, I get more questions about my daily driver than I do my S2000. It seems lots of people are all worked up about gas mileage... I say to hell with them too.

Suckin gas and kickin _ss.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:17 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Feb 1 2007, 08:48 PM
I work at a large company and park in a lot of probably 200+ cars (one of many lots on the campus) and I can honestly say that if I didn't drive people to lunch occasionally, none of my coworkers, and certainly not my boss's boss would know what I drove.

Obviously, I'm not as high visibility as Corey since he's a top-level employee and I'm a grunt, but I think some people kind of overstate things a little. If you work at a large firm and don't ever bring your car up, most people will never know what you drive.
I'm at a private company with a little over 300 people. The headquarters has maybe 50 people. Of those, 300 people in total, there are 5 people who are "family" and they make the BIG money. Then there is me, and then there is everyone else.

We have a parking lot where everyone knows what everyone else drives. So, it's basically impossible to 'blend' in as far as cars go.

The top 5 drive a Navigator, S600, Escalade ESV, a Ford F150, and a Dodge Ram Diesel. Now, understand they all could basically buy ANY car they want. I'm not exaggerating either when I say ANY car. So, I guess they are low-rolling it pretty good and I need to step in line. Sigh........

Life could be worse though, but it is a bit frustrating that I probably won't be able to drive my C6 to work and it irks me a bit to be such a car enthusiast and basically be forced to drive a more mundane car to work....I guess it's smarter in the long run. I could tell my staff to take a hike if they make smarta** comments, but it's better to foster a positive environment than create issues.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,882 Likes on 2,089 Posts

Why don't you just talk to your boss about it??? Mention the Vette in conversation to see what he/she says about the car, what type of reaction it brings, maybe they don't like Corvette's but won't judge you because of it.

Sam
Old 02-02-2007, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Feb 2 2007, 09:17 AM
The top 5 drive a Navigator, S600, Escalade ESV, a Ford F150, and a Dodge Ram Diesel.
S600 basic = $140,675
Escalade = 60,995
Navigator with a few options = $54,930
C6 with Z51 Pkg = $47,440.00

Seriously, I'm sorry, I have no idea what this thread is about. You are worried about not being ostentatious? You could buy 2 C6s and be less flashy than the S600.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:38 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Well, the S600 is owned by the main guy. I consider it a pretty low-profile car, certainly considering he could own a McLaren F1, Veyron, Enzo, and about 20 other cars all at once.

I don't know. As I said before, I have basically until the end of the year before my lease is up on the S2000 and I'll have plenty of time to figure it out.

I just thought it was an interesting discussion to have. Some people flash all the money they have (or more) and others fly under the radar, so I was just interested in what everyone thought and did.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv had some similar experiences and i just had to let it be known i dont have the other expenses my co-workers do.

Im still in college and work nights retail so i still live at home so the s2k is my only debt i saved up half the cost of the car for my down payment so my car payments less than most college kids are paying for rent.

But still my coworkers that are older and making the same small income i am think my parents baught it and that im some spoiled kid. I just tell them i dont have kids or a trailer to pay for and they shut up.

I just make shur i park infront of the security cameras and all is fine.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Feb 2 2007, 10:38 AM
Well, the S600 is owned by the main guy. I consider it a pretty low-profile car, certainly considering he could own a McLaren F1, Veyron, Enzo, and about 20 other cars all at once.

I just thought it was an interesting discussion to have. Some people flash all the money they have (or more) and others fly under the radar, so I was just interested in what everyone thought and did.
For me anything, no matter how ugly, as long as it cost more than my house is flashy, and that S600 cost more than my house.

I think it is important to remember here, you are talking about a C6, it's in many ways just a Corvette. Sure, some of us car guys look upon it as a hands down amazingly damn good ride, but it's still just a Chevy Vette. I think this whole debate would be slightly different if you wanted somethig like an F420, or an Aston Martin DB9, or a Porsche GT3, or a Lamborghini Murcielago; but no, we are talking about a Chevy.

And by the way, I think it is a great discussion to have, I love seeing other peopl's ideas, concerns and points of view.

Oh, and QUIKAG, to finish let me just say - enjoy that C6 to and from work when ya get it!

Quick Reply: Nice cars and co-worker jealousy