Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nice cars and co-worker jealousy

Old 02-01-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i prefer to stay low-profile & low-key. i guess i was like that even when i was younger, b/c i could drive all of my dad's cool benzes & bmw's but i always took my POS toyota to school.

i still drive a pos nissan to work, adn i never talk about my cars at work
Old 02-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Feb 1 2007, 12:08 PM
I agree on the price factor, but the Vette has that 'flash' factor that some people find "intimidating." Not sure if that makes sense. Like, they probably wouldn't bat an eye if I drove a $45k pick-up, but if I rolled up in a $40k Vette, they'd go, "Whoa, what a flashy ride."

It's kind of weird. I guess I do have a while to figure out the atmosphere around here more. I just don't like the thought of buying a new Vette and then letting it sit in the garage all week. Though, I dislike the thought of not owning one altogether even more....

I prefer sleepers too. Honestly, if I could get the performance of a C6 with the understated styling of an Accord, I'd do it. I've considered maybe getting a debadged CTS-V as a daily to go alongside the Vette. That would make leaving the Vette in the garage a little more bearable.
I agree 100x with you on that. Someone was saying, oh corvette isn't too expensive and what not. Most people don't know that. They think it's an ultra expensive car. It does give that intimidation factor.

An old boss of mine used to drive his vert C5 to work, and even I was super impressed. I thought, wow, this guy must be doing it up. Than I realized the price tag and it looked like a late 90's model C5.

Honestly, I get what you're saying, and although you might say F' it, it is very important to keep low profile at work. I got tons of heat from people with my S, as I was only a temp.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To most people any car that costs ~$50k is expensive. I do agree thought that most people don't think a loaded SUV may cost as much or more then a vette, but to say a vette is 'inexpensive' is kind of silly.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I drive an Insight to work because of the miles and fuel issue. If someone has a problem with you driving the S, THEY have the probelm, not you. They need to get over it and move on.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 PM

man I could not work some place that I was afraid of my coworkers thinking I made to much. I work for a direct sales organization every body is strickley commission. My boss made more in 06 then I have made in my life! (im 23) and he flaunts it all the time. rolex, gold chain, 745, 10k in a money clip all the time. He has a pic in his office of the shack he grew up in. He thinks it motivates and to some it might but I just laugh. He asked what I thought of the new car 745 he picked up a few weeks ago, I said it was nice but I realy wanted to sit down in it and say" smells like new money" but I bit my tounge. He is far from a car guy dident know if it was the v8 or v12?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by andy g,Feb 2 2007, 03:33 AM
man I could not work some place that I was afraid of my coworkers thinking I made to much. I work for a direct sales organization every body is strickley commission. My boss made more in 06 then I have made in my life! (im 23) and he flaunts it all the time. rolex, gold chain, 745, 10k in a money clip all the time. He has a pic in his office of the shack he grew up in. He thinks it motivates and to some it might but I just laugh. He asked what I thought of the new car 745 he picked up a few weeks ago, I said it was nice but I realy wanted to sit down in it and say" smells like new money" but I bit my tounge. He is far from a car guy dident know if it was the v8 or v12?
I say it's even more important to be reserved in the case of sales. It's one thing when you have a set group of coworkers who know you and understand if you're passionate about cars, but outside clients are totally different- they will be sizing you up every step of the way. Of course you want to look professional, but if the rep I was dealing with was rocking a flashy car, gold chain, and a blinged out rolex, my first thought would definitely be that I am paying this guy too much money.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Feb 1 2007, 02:08 PM
I agree on the price factor, but the Vette has that 'flash' factor that some people find "intimidating." Not sure if that makes sense. Like, they probably wouldn't bat an eye if I drove a $45k pick-up, but if I rolled up in a $40k Vette, they'd go, "Whoa, what a flashy ride."
you nailed it. I do not like my customers to see the C6 for that exact reason. I could drive up in an Escalade and no one would think twice, in the C6 it never fails someone will say something like "must be nice " I try to drive the beater most of the time but, it is difficult to not drive the C6. If anyone starts delving to deeply just tell them you won it playing slots in Vegas.
That actually works
Old 02-01-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Feb 1 2007, 09:52 PM
I say it's even more important to be reserved in the case of sales. It's one thing when you have a set group of coworkers who know you and understand if you're passionate about cars, but outside clients are totally different- they will be sizing you up every step of the way. Of course you want to look professional, but if the rep I was dealing with was rocking a flashy car, gold chain, and a blinged out rolex, my first thought would definitely be that I am paying this guy too much money.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 390 Likes on 291 Posts

I live in the Dallas area also and my take will be different. First of all in the corporate world everything matters. I've struggled with the same dilemma myself in the corporate world and I think it's better to not show your hand. I almost bought a new C6 Z51 packaged Vette last summer and I'm glad I walked out of there. I think you are better off getting a beater to take to work and leave the Vette at home or make a different car choice. Sadly, and in my experience in my field, what you drive makes a difference.
I will give you an example. I know a guy, locally, who was high up in his company. He decided he wanted the anniversary C5 drop top and bought it. Immediately he began to get flack at work, and from him boss too. At the time he had no children and his wife worked so he could afford it. His boss had a large house, 3 kids, and started in with the jealousy. Sadly in America there are loads of haters, especially at work. He got away with a lot at work and after the purchase of that car he didn't. His boss began looking for faults while previously did not, and it led to his termination. I will be honest with you and say this guy was pretty flamboyant with what he owned. I'd talk to him and he would say "I just got a new bigscreen, Xbox, etc.." Personally, I wouldn't buy that car for a DD anyway, for work purposes and because I wouldn't want to drive it in inclement weather.

You know from living in Dallas, that it is very corporate here. Everyone is concerned/consumed with $$$$$$$$$ and I wouldn't want to do anything that would jeopardize my status at work. In the corporate world, as long as I work in it, I will choose automobiles and my job will always be a factor. I've spent some time out of work the past year and believe me, I wouldn't want anything to jeopardize a raise, a promotion, or cause jealousy. But an inexpensive DD to go with it or choose something else is my opinion.

I wish people would just pay attention to their own $h1t but that won't happen in Dallas. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 390 Likes on 291 Posts

[QUOTE=candyass,Feb 1 2007, 08:10 PM] you nailed it.

Quick Reply: Nice cars and co-worker jealousy