Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nice cars and co-worker jealousy

Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=QUIKAG,Feb 1 2007, 10:25 AM] Good responses so far.

See, I like to walk softly and carry a big stick, certainly after learning what I did at my first job.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CG,Feb 1 2007, 12:02 PM
Back in the mid-80's I took a job as an asst. mgr. in a chain drug store. I had a 84 CRX and a 85 Calloway bodied Corvette. My mgr told me not to drive the vette to work because it would cause questions from the higher ups if they saw it. As luck would have it I drove it to work on the day a higher up surprised us. I was questioned about how I could afford such a car, interviewed by LP and made to take several polygraphs before they believed that I was also making more money on the side with real estate than they were paying me. I also left the job as soon as I was sure my name was cleared. Assholes!
What the heck??

I would have demanded an apology from someone or took them to court for making an unfounded accusation and defamation of character. That is ridiculous.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hah...my office is the opposite of what most of you describe. our parking structure is full of BMW's, Lexuses, and a handful of M-B's and G35's. it's like people here actually do try to give the impression of perceived wealth. I still do get the ladies in the office telling me how "cute" my car is and the occasional exec expressing interest in it; I'm pretty quick to tell the execs that I bought the car when it was 6 years old
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Feb 1 2007, 12:06 PM
My S is my daily and yeah I got some flack from a couple of guys at work... jealousy. It's amazing how whenever someone gets something great, these types of guys are quick to point out the bad things about the car. Like you get an S2000, oh it only has 240hp and no torque, so then I say ok, here's a Mustang, oh it doesn't have the 5.0. Here's a friggin McClaren F1, must be nice to have a car thatss worth 1.5 california homes. Seriously though, drive it and let them be jealous or whatever, everyone makes their decisions and they just need to live with them. Your time of kids, mortgage and such will come, enjoy your time now just like how I'm sure they did.
Someone where you work has a McLaren F1??
Old 02-01-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit,Feb 1 2007, 11:36 AM
But I think a C6 isn't too over the top in price. You're probably high enough that the amount of flak wouldn't be overwhelming. And there's really nothing else at that price point that compares.
I agree on the price factor, but the Vette has that 'flash' factor that some people find "intimidating." Not sure if that makes sense. Like, they probably wouldn't bat an eye if I drove a $45k pick-up, but if I rolled up in a $40k Vette, they'd go, "Whoa, what a flashy ride."

It's kind of weird. I guess I do have a while to figure out the atmosphere around here more. I just don't like the thought of buying a new Vette and then letting it sit in the garage all week. Though, I dislike the thought of not owning one altogether even more....

I prefer sleepers too. Honestly, if I could get the performance of a C6 with the understated styling of an Accord, I'd do it. I've considered maybe getting a debadged CTS-V as a daily to go alongside the Vette. That would make leaving the Vette in the garage a little more bearable.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Who cares what they think...I have tried having a 'meager' daily driver and the bottom line is that I just enjoy driving too much to spend time in something that doesn't offer some kind of connection. My parking lot at work looks like a German Uber-sedan show so nobody really says anything to me anyways. Who really considers a vette a high end car anyways...they're a dime a dozen.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:52 AM

Not a good situation I would say. You either have to deny yourself something because someone can't handle it or deal with their BS.

I wish it was that simple to just ignore 'em. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but their jealousy could have a physical manifestation. Probably wouldn't be too much fun to get your car keyed or dinged w/ a rusty pickup door...
Old 02-01-2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Feb 1 2007, 11:25 AM
Good responses so far.

See, I like to walk softly and carry a big stick, certainly after learning what I did at my first job. Let people underestimate you and you will get further along in life.

Problem is, my staff includes accounting, HR, payroll, IT, and general office operations. Several of those people know my salary and it's a multiple of theirs.

So, I really don't want to rub it in their face, but at the same time, I would like to drive my future C6 to the office without them crying behind my back and having to deal with that crap. HR related issues have been the biggest issue so far (catty stuff, etc.)

I see both points about telling them to take care of themselves and not worry about me, but also I'd like to fly under the radar too. My senior IT guy has a 330i and he seems a bit surprised that I 'only' drive an S2000. The guy I replaced is driving a loaded Hummer H2.
Understandable. However, it sounds like you are fairly high on the food chain. Is this is the case, don't sweat it. You're supposed to drive a sweet car, you're someones boss, its the way it works. If you were a lower to midlevel peon, then it'd be different, but I get the impression (able to afford a C6, yeah you're doing awesome ).
Old 02-01-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

being in the military, i sometimes get this. especially at my old squadron, when the pilots(officers) would see what i drove. you could tell they seemed a little ignorant about it. i'm an e-4, and they knew i didnt make much. good credit ftw. its funny too to get an accidental salute every once in a while.

i wouldnt worry about driving a better car to work. if people are jealous and cant respect you, just goes to show what type of person they really are.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I work in a department of about 100 guys. I waited a while before I brought in my Cayman S. Needless to say, I got ALOT of negative comments. I am not looking to make Sergeant or Lieutenant. The added hours would cut into my other business. I did make sure that I got to know the higher ups and developed a reputation of being a proactive officer before I brought in my rides. Life is too damn short to not enjoy what you love. BRING IT IN! You are gonna kick yourself in the head on those warm summer nights! But make sure you park it in a place where you can monitor it, I am sure that uif my lot was not filled with camera, the porsche would be keyed already.

Bobby

Quick Reply: Nice cars and co-worker jealousy