Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nice cars and co-worker jealousy

Old 02-01-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm the opposite. My S2000 is among one of the lowier cars in the parking lot. I'm jeolous of their cars
Old 02-01-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in that situation.

Been with a major I.T. company for about 2 years now and I'm the youngest in our team of 100 by about 10 years. They all have families, responsiblities, home payments, kids college tuition and drive normal cars and pickups, nothing flashy.

When I first got hired, I brought my s2k a few times and parked far away to avoid dings, they saw me the "new guy" walking to my car a few times and got asked questions, some simple, some obviously a bit on the uncomfortable side. Since than I drive my daily beater '01 daewoo that no one notices, still get asked, where's your flashy car and just tell them oh it's at home. I just turned 25, and fortunately make good money for my age and can easily afford a much more expensive car, but I don't, people perceive the s2k as a much more expensive car than it is, the red leather does seem a bit flashy and the oem kit, but they don't realize that it is a 7 year old car although mine looks brand new because it only has 16k miles on it I know I need to drive it more as my gf always says and I will because finally i see a nice new 335 coupe and plenty of other flashier cars than mine.

I say keep a cheaper beater because the daily commute sucks to work anyways and I'm glad i have an auto beater and drive in the vette on really nice days and moderate traffic occasionally.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:59 AM

I'm sorry, but I say fu'kem!

People make different choices and people should be free enough to enjoy their choices. I don't make a lot of money and yet I have an S, a Titan, a very nice CRX-SiR and a super (although old) motorcycle. I no longer have a wife, I'm old enough there is about a zero chance I'll ever be able to have a child. These are the choices I have made in life, it is my life. If I had the money and desire to buy a C6, I would buy one, in fact I would get the beautiful orange color because I have nothing to hide from.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Feb 1 2007, 09:59 AM
I'm sorry, but I say fu'kem!

People make different choices and people should be free enough to enjoy their choices. I don't make a lot of money and yet I have an S, a Titan, a very nice CRX-SiR and a super (although old) motorcycle. I no longer have a wife, I'm old enough there is about a zero chance I'll ever be able to have a child. These are the choices I have made in life, it is my life. If I had the money and desire to buy a C6, I would buy one, in fact I would get the beautiful orange color because I have nothing to hide from.
That was an effin awesome response..lol I'd get the orange too.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by dcak,Feb 1 2007, 12:16 PM
It's easy to say "Screw em if they're jealous", but in most work situations, you will want to build a good relationship with people, if for no other reason than you will sometimes need them for whatever their expertise is. It's good to have a rapport with your co-workers and as wrong/unfair as it is to be judged badly based on your car, it can affect your work life and makes things more difficult for you.
I agree, and there is nothing wrong with simply telling these people this is something you have always wanted, you have worked your tail off to get and now it's time to have it.

Respect comes in many forms and that is a good thing and I agree it is very important to develop that at work and with the people that have some degree of influence over your career; I also believe those are the smart people who will understand. There is another type of person and they are the shallow jealous type, they will not understand and they will talk behind your back. To me, there is no way I'm going to let some under developed child like adult rule my life or my decisions.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Feb 1 2007, 01:06 PM
I'd get the orange too.
Yea baby!

Old 02-01-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 505 Likes on 386 Posts

We are all guilty of generalizing at some point in our lives, and basically if you're a young guy buying a toy of a car, people are going to assume that mommy and daddy paid for it. On the other hand, if a college kid pulls up in a newer Accord LX or a Civic EX, they think hey responsible kid who's parents are helping him out in life, but most people don't realize that a used S can be about the same price. Why buy a brand new 20K Altima when you could buy a used, certified, few years older but still low mileage Lexus?
Whenever people look at my car and say must be nice, I look at their car and say must be nice to be able to afford a 22 grand Accord, and then I get the puzzled look. The worst are the ones who judge my car because they're still driving their car from high school; I then say mustve been nice to have a nice car (or any car) in high school.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 AM

I bought the S2000 right out of college which was a step down as I wanted a Z06. None of my co-workers really gave me any shit. The ribbing about, "well must be paying you too much!!" ended quickly and it was all in good fun anyway. I was young, dumb with no debts...all of it was in my car.

I don't think it will be a big deal and how you handle any kind of jealousy will make your situation better or worse. Just saying ####em sounds really great, but it's not a mature way to handle it. Just because someone else wants to act stupid doesn't mean you have too. Most people will come around if you turn it around by treating them with respect and not acting cool about your nice possession.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 411 Likes on 228 Posts

Good responses so far.

See, I like to walk softly and carry a big stick, certainly after learning what I did at my first job. Let people underestimate you and you will get further along in life.

Problem is, my staff includes accounting, HR, payroll, IT, and general office operations. Several of those people know my salary and it's a multiple of theirs.

So, I really don't want to rub it in their face, but at the same time, I would like to drive my future C6 to the office without them crying behind my back and having to deal with that crap. HR related issues have been the biggest issue so far (catty stuff, etc.)

I see both points about telling them to take care of themselves and not worry about me, but also I'd like to fly under the radar too. My senior IT guy has a 330i and he seems a bit surprised that I 'only' drive an S2000. The guy I replaced is driving a loaded Hummer H2.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just caught this thread. Like it was already stated just buy the car and enjoy it. I got my used 02 S about a year ago and a half ago when I was 23 (6months before I turned 24) and have been enjoying it ever since.

I work as a graphic artist for a real estate company and make decent money (nothing really crazy, thank you NY) and have brought the car in all summer cause it was the first summer I had with the car. Some of the agents were alittle surprised by me showing up with it but they all understand I have no wife, no kid and no debt.

Ironically the only smack I get are from strangers who think I'm some spoiled kid. The fact is get the car that you lust for and enjoy it. When I turn 28 I will have my 01 gts viper. Do you think I'll let other people influence what I drive and how I spend my money...HELL NO. So you get that c6 and make sure to post up lost of pics of it on here when you do.

Mike

Quick Reply: Nice cars and co-worker jealousy