Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nice cars and co-worker jealousy

Old 02-01-2007, 06:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Feb 1 2007, 10:42 AM
......if your choices in life allow you to truly afford that Vette and you love fast cars.... get it.
To hell with what other people think.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats why I work for myself. Dont have to worry about other pricks.

If I see anyone else's nice things, it motivates me more than anything else.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say screw it.

People who work hard to earn their money are allowed to do whatever they want with it.

I also think the problem is the S2000 looks more expensive than its price tag might suggest.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:15 AM

I think this is a valid concern if you have superiors who determine your compensation. If you determine your own compensation, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in a fairly similar situation right now. I'm thinking about getting a new car in a week or so, but it is also about time to talk to the boss about a raise. So, I'm not sure if I want to roll into work with a shiny new car right about the time I ask for more $$$. It's not really an issue where I work, but you never know how such things affect others. The people in my office are very liberal/environmental types who could care less about cars (they'd probably walk to work if it was feasible), so no one drives anything particularly nice (which is fine). My boss has a few-year-old C320. I'm also fairly young (31 today), so the cars we have and the one I may be purchasing are probably pretty nice for our age group (particularly in a small town). In sum, I think your concern is reasonable, and what you do with it is, obviously, up to you... My $.02 worth.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 AM

I think most people with nice cars can't afford it, and most people who'd want a nice car have other obligations or ironically have more money or equity than the person with the nice car.

Where I work there aren't many nice cars. Most people have kids and a house and don't care about cars or buy cars for utility. When I had my S I lived at home, I don't see why people would be jealous of that.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:02 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Back in the mid-80's I took a job as an asst. mgr. in a chain drug store. I had a 84 CRX and a 85 Calloway bodied Corvette. My mgr told me not to drive the vette to work because it would cause questions from the higher ups if they saw it. As luck would have it I drove it to work on the day a higher up surprised us. I was questioned about how I could afford such a car, interviewed by LP and made to take several polygraphs before they believed that I was also making more money on the side with real estate than they were paying me. I also left the job as soon as I was sure my name was cleared. Assholes!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 229 Likes on 162 Posts

Only a few people at work are jealous about my 1999 Accord LX.

You're looking at an '08 C6, which gives you at least 6 or 8 months to really get a good feel for how your manager/boss as well as the coworkers deal with "apparent" or "perceived" wealth.

For myself, I think it's about your attitude more than anything. As Chris mentioned, if you are "the car guy" at work, they won't think twice about you having a nice car. If you're the company idiot, they'll probably think you're being paid way more and they'll get jealous.

Ultimately, if and when I buy my "nice" car, I will drive it to work regardless. I won't flaunt it or anything, but I work so that I can occasionally have nice things and I'm not about to let someone else tell me what is and is not acceptable.

If I was the VP or CEO and we were having a bad year, yes, I would leave my Porsche at home. However, as long as I'm working my tail off and doing my part, I'll drive whatever I want.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 505 Likes on 386 Posts

My S is my daily and yeah I got some flack from a couple of guys at work... jealousy. It's amazing how whenever someone gets something great, these types of guys are quick to point out the bad things about the car. Like you get an S2000, oh it only has 240hp and no torque, so then I say ok, here's a Mustang, oh it doesn't have the 5.0. Here's a friggin McClaren F1, must be nice to have a car thatss worth 1.5 california homes. Seriously though, drive it and let them be jealous or whatever, everyone makes their decisions and they just need to live with them. Your time of kids, mortgage and such will come, enjoy your time now just like how I'm sure they did.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:09 AM

Received 229 Likes on 162 Posts

Since you are fairly high up in the company, I guess that last paragraph sort of applies to you. You are in a position that holds a higher profile (on the management totem pole) so you might have to walk a tighter standard than I do.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:16 AM

It's easy to say "Screw em if they're jealous", but in most work situations, you will want to build a good relationship with people, if for no other reason than you will sometimes need them for whatever their expertise is. It's good to have a rapport with your co-workers and as wrong/unfair as it is to be judged badly based on your car, it can affect your work life and makes things more difficult for you.

But in my field, my superiors know what they made when they were my age, know I don't have kids, so they have to figure I can afford it without skimping. They just usually just gibe me a little bit about it, more in fun.

Quick Reply: Nice cars and co-worker jealousy