Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nice cars and co-worker jealousy

Old 02-08-2007, 07:05 AM
jah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like fight club rules 1&2:
1st RULE: You do not talk about fight club.
2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about fight club.

serious:
go to work, do your stuff and leave. you grade the people by how well they do their job, not by how unique they are, hopefully the management has the same thinking.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by jah,Feb 8 2007, 10:05 AM
serious:
go to work, do your stuff and leave. you grade the people by how well they do their job, not by how unique they are, hopefully the management has the same thinking.
If only life were so easy. Fact is, companies and people are usually not "ideal" or "perfect". Relationships are a core part of business and poor relationships will usually translate into poor(er) business. Management isn't going to like ANYTHING that gets in the way of improving or maintaining business.

There's a fine line between ignoring the opinions/perceptions of others and living your life by people's say so. The middle of the road is usually what works best (a comprimise).
Old 02-09-2007, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's be realistic here. Unless you're 18 and working for minimum wage, no one is going to have bad feelings towards you for driving an S2000 from an expense standpoint. Sounds almost like you guys are hoping they do. That corolla that district manager was driving around probably cost more. It's not a ferrari...it's not even a 30k+ car any more. If you're 18 and driving it they probably wonder why you didn't invest that money and blew it on a car and insurance.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:54 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brennon,Feb 9 2007, 09:36 AM
That corolla that district manager was driving around probably cost more.
Huh? A Corolla maxes at like, what, $17k? That's about the cheapest a decent S2000 costs.

I get what you're saying, but let's not be ridiculous. PLENTY of people in the world still think $30k is a lot of money to pay for a car (especially an impractical toy)...and they are right.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=Chris Stack,Feb 9 2007, 06:54 AM] Huh?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brennon,Feb 9 2007, 09:59 AM
And you are right, plenty of people in the world think that's too much money on a toy, and again I agree they're right. They may think you're crazy for spending that much, but I doubt many will have bad feelings towards you unless that person loves cars as well and has some sense of jealousy.
In the car guy world, maybe. But plenty of non-car people think that if you are driving a flashy two-seat sports car, and they find out that it costs $30k, they will think you are just compensating, showing off, etc.

The S2ki community is more affluent than most people, and much more car-centric than almost anyone else. Let's not get caught up in the demographics of the forum and confuse those with the population as a whole. In the real world, most people can't buy $30k sports cars, and they probably have had a bad experience or three with people who have bought them only to show off. Since the enthusiast population is pretty small (what percentage of S2000 owners registers on this website?), the chances of a regular person meeting a show-off is probably much higher than the chances of meeting an enthusiast, so we all get painted with the show-off brush.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:35 AM

If you're not a true car enthusiast, $30K (or even $20K) is a lot to spend to show off only to end up w/ a car that isn't all that great from a basis transportation perspective. It's a good thing for enthusiasts, though, who have an ample supply of low mileage, heavily discounted used S2000's to choose from.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Feb 9 2007, 07:24 AM
In the car guy world, maybe. But plenty of non-car people think that if you are driving a flashy two-seat sports car, and they find out that it costs $30k, they will think you are just compensating, showing off, etc.

The S2ki community is more affluent than most people, and much more car-centric than almost anyone else. Let's not get caught up in the demographics of the forum and confuse those with the population as a whole. In the real world, most people can't buy $30k sports cars, and they probably have had a bad experience or three with people who have bought them only to show off. Since the enthusiast population is pretty small (what percentage of S2000 owners registers on this website?), the chances of a regular person meeting a show-off is probably much higher than the chances of meeting an enthusiast, so we all get painted with the show-off brush.
I think it's probably significantly different in chicago than it is in Southern California. There's hardly anyone over 23 that can't afford a 30k car here. There are just as many BMWs on the road as there are hondas. I see at least one exotic a day. I suppose I never had the mentality of the S2000 as a status symbol as a result of that.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Brennon,Feb 9 2007, 07:36 AM
I think it's probably significantly different in chicago than it is in Southern California. There's hardly anyone over 23 that can't afford a 30k car here. There are just as many BMWs on the road as there are hondas. I see at least one exotic a day. I suppose I never had the mentality of the S2000 as a status symbol as a result of that.
Southern Cal is an anomoly, but I wonder how many of those people over 23 years old can afford a home? Not very many, so since they've accepted the fact they won't own a home in Southern Cal until they're at least 40, then go blow their money on an apartment and monthly car payment.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Feb 9 2007, 07:53 AM
Southern Cal is an anomoly, but I wonder how many of those people over 23 years old can afford a home? Not very many, so since they've accepted the fact they won't own a home in Southern Cal until they're at least 40, then go blow their money on an apartment and monthly car payment.
Sounds about right.

Quick Reply: Nice cars and co-worker jealousy