Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nice cars and co-worker jealousy

Old 02-07-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm the one that's jealous walking across the parking lot at work. I've seen a lot of nice cars at work including:
C6 Z06
E60 M5
Ferrari 360
Cayman S
996 TT
996 GT3
Viper GTS
Audi RS4
Maserati Quattroporte
DB7 Vantage
Elise
Countless E46 M3's
Old 02-07-2007, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I work from home mostly now, I tend to alternate cars when coming to head-quarters once a week.
People stopped asking : "New car?" after a few weeks

Whatever car you drive, by itself should have no negative impact from your co-workers as they should already have a solid opinion regarding your character and/or work ethic.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by S-TO-9K,Feb 7 2007, 05:53 PM
Whatever car you drive, by itself should have no negative impact from your co-workers as they should already have a solid opinion regarding your character and/or work ethic.
But it's the people who don't know you well that you risk alienating. You won't know everyone "solidly."

Also: There was a guy at work that I had a borderline negative impression of. Found out his choice in vehicles and his attitude about it, solidified his "poseur" status in my mind.

Sometimes keeping work and play separate is a good idea. Just think of Marv Alberts....
Old 02-07-2007, 10:27 PM

I'm 18 and I work the parts counter at the local Pep Boy's. The S2000 is my daily, and I catch some flack here and there about the car, since my store Manager drives a Geo Tracker. Noone really hates me for having the car. The only time I've ever gotten a negative look at work for it, was when the DM came to suprise us. We talked for a bit about my College classes and some other small talk, when it came time to punch out, he said he'd walk out with me since he was on his way home. He ended up parking his Camry next to me, and I had the car parked with the top down. He gave it the once over, and asked if it was mine. I said yea, and he looked at me like I had two heads. He just stood there with the door open, and watched me until I made it to the end of the lot. I don't know whether he thought I was kidding, or he was upset because he is a DM for Pep Boy's, and drives a Camry.

Bottom line, don't worry about what other people think. If you want something, and have the means to get it, go for it. Don't let what other people think stop you from having something you've worked so hard to get. Even if you are a higher up in a company. Everyone below you could be in your position too if they work hard enough. If they don't work hard enough, or become successful, that is their own problem, not yours.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:09 PM

He just stood there with the door open, and watched me until I made it to the end of the lot. I don't know whether he thought I was kidding, or he was upset because he is a DM for Pep Boy's, and drives a Camry.
Wow, talk about awkward moment.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gymkata,Feb 8 2007, 12:09 AM
Wow, talk about awkward moment.
Sort of, oh well.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:16 PM

I usually drive my 90 Corrado to work, which raises eyebrows because it screams "BOY RACER!!!" with all its carbon fiber, recaro seats, momo exhaust, HRE wheels, etc etc. This week I've driven the R32 to work all week, and I've been getting a lot of "new car?" comments along with "get a raise?" comments and "didn't you just have a kid? how do you afford a brand new car" comments, even though I saved for a new car for 5 years and actually bought it two years ago.

Then occasionally I drive my old Fiat Spider, when the weather is suitable. And sometimes I have to drive the Sienna minivan, if I've got family errands to run after work. So I do get comments about "how many cars do you own?"

Then there's the fact that I'm a pastor... I get a lot of weird looks being a man of the cloth who drives some relatively sporty cars. But all in all, I get a kick out of it more than anything.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by g60racer,Feb 8 2007, 12:16 AM
I usually drive my 90 Corrado to work, which raises eyebrows because it screams "BOY RACER!!!" with all its carbon fiber, recaro seats, momo exhaust, HRE wheels, etc etc. This week I've driven the R32 to work all week, and I've been getting a lot of "new car?" comments along with "get a raise?" comments and "didn't you just have a kid? how do you afford a brand new car" comments, even though I saved for a new car for 5 years and actually bought it two years ago.

Then occasionally I drive my old Fiat Spider, when the weather is suitable. And sometimes I have to drive the Sienna minivan, if I've got family errands to run after work. So I do get comments about "how many cars do you own?"

Then there's the fact that I'm a pastor... I get a lot of weird looks being a man of the cloth who drives some relatively sporty cars. But all in all, I get a kick out of it more than anything.
When they ask "get a raise?," you should respond with "Nope, but I am a pastor, and you gotta love the tax codes."

Old 02-08-2007, 05:31 AM

HAHAHAHA IMAGINE im was 18 with the s2000 hookedup then i go the c55 im young and all the managers here hate on me because they drive accords but you know what i work hard for my stuff also when they see my watch or something they give me a face ............. also another co worker of mine has a 545 slammed on hre's and they talk shit about him too and they say always to us mommy and daddy ........but if they only knew i pay for everything and do not live with my parents
Old 02-08-2007, 05:34 AM

hahahaha another thing is when i drive my 90corolla to work which is everyday they laugh i just tell them the benz got repo'd and they laugh and then i come the next day in it .............. bastards

Quick Reply: Nice cars and co-worker jealousy