Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nice cars and co-worker jealousy

Old 02-05-2007, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=CKit,Feb 4 2007, 09:58 PM]

You have a certain philosophy.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Feb 1 2007, 07:52 PM
I say it's even more important to be reserved in the case of sales. It's one thing when you have a set group of coworkers who know you and understand if you're passionate about cars, but outside clients are totally different- they will be sizing you up every step of the way. Of course you want to look professional, but if the rep I was dealing with was rocking a flashy car, gold chain, and a blinged out rolex, my first thought would definitely be that I am paying this guy too much money.
The only comment I have ever had from a client is" is that a honda" I said yea but it is still fun. As far as I know the s has never lost a deal for me. now the old rx7 you could hear from a mile away that I drove when I first took the job, Im sure is another stroy
Old 02-05-2007, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1,Feb 2 2007, 05:58 AM
Let me know where he works....we need to roll him and split the $10k....you can keep the Rolex too. LOL!!
Im down, but I got dibs on the watch
Old 02-05-2007, 07:01 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzukaboy,Feb 5 2007, 09:15 AM
I suppose if you rub your lifestyle in other people's faces you can expect some blow back.
Yes. The problem is, many people think just owning a nice car is "rubbing your lifestyle in their faces." Many people assume that the only reason to own an expensive car (and for many, that's $30k+) is to show off or flaunt your success. The fact that a $45k car might be 3x nicer to drive than their $15k car never crosses their simple minds.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:03 AM

[QUOTE=Chris Stack,Feb 5 2007, 08:01 AM]Yes.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzukaboy,Feb 5 2007, 12:03 PM
But that's their problem, not mine. I doubt there is anybody who owns an S2000 who doesn't know somebody who's envious, jealous or just doesn't get it. I long ago stopped trying to converse with people with those attitudes about my car choices. Truth is most people don't care as much as I might think. If someone is genuinely interested they let me know.
It's their problem until it affects your career.

I think for Corey, the best thing you can do is build a solid reputation now, and then when the time comes to buy the C6, how many of those people are really going to suddenly change their opinion of you? If you aren't a jerk now, they probably won't think you've suddenly become one through buying a nice car.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I've noticed is an asshole with a nice car is thought of as more of an asshole. A good guy with a nice car is a good guy withe a nice car, YMMV.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:10 AM

If you do sales then i would recommend against driving a nice car on your sales calls. I dont trust salesman who drive cars that are too nice -- to me it just says "i am making too much money off of you!". Of course, this is just my opinion ...

pursuant to this line of thought, I never drive my S2k on a first date. i drive my dd ('97 GMC sonoma). I wait until the 3rd or 4th date to break out the "big guns"
Old 02-05-2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by numbr_9,Feb 5 2007, 10:10 AM
If you do sales then i would recommend against driving a nice car on your sales calls. I dont trust salesman who drive cars that are too nice -- to me it just says "i am making too much money off of you!". Of course, this is just my opinion ...

pursuant to this line of thought, I never drive my S2k on a first date. i drive my dd ('97 GMC sonoma). I wait until the 3rd or 4th date to break out the "big guns"
I can see where you are coming from, but I have mixed fellings about that. If the car is to crappy then the customer might judge the product or service you sell as substandard. If I were to drive a lambo then they would think" how much is this gonna cost me." In sales the first thing you have to sell is yourself, the s is a perfect blend of looks and performance on a budget. I think that sends a good message to the customer. sales people in genral have a very negative rep, and that is the hardest objection to overcome. however I can see where that reputation comes from walk onto a honda lot and ask a salesperson to explain the handeling caracteristics of the s2000, oh a bring a tape recorder if you do!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=numbr_9,Feb 5 2007, 10:10 AM]If you do sales then i would recommend against driving a nice car on your sales calls.

Quick Reply: Nice cars and co-worker jealousy