Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nice cars and co-worker jealousy

Old 02-01-2007, 05:14 AM

Received 411 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Nice cars and co-worker jealousy

After the S2000 lease is up, I am planning on getting a C6. However, I am concerned about driving it to work and causing negative feelings from both the people above me (about 5 people) and those below me (about 300 people).

I guess I don't want the hassle of people being resentful. When I bought my C5 right out of college, I was a staff person at a big accounting firm. I had no debts, so it wasn't a big issue. However, I got some very bad vibes from some managers, etc. that found out. I think they were pissed because I thought I was "cool" (which wasn't the case at all, I just like fast cars) and owned a Corvette when they were saddled down with a house, wife, 3 kids, and a dog and drove a Corolla.

Anyway, anyone else keep the 'nice' ride at home and drive a pick-up or some other unassuming car to work? Where do you draw the line?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not get much back talk from people about the S2000....probably because I have only driven it to work about two times.

However, I do have some people give me some crap about my NSX. I try explaining to people....it is a 13 year old car with 115,000 miles....it really is not that expensive of a car. The funny thing is that the people that give me the most crap drive cars more expensive than mine!! I think they just perceive it in an odd way since they do not know much about it. Either way, I couldn't care less. I drive it because it is fun and reliable....if someone else has a problem with it they will just have to deal.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my daily to work...nobody knows what my "other" car is.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 AM

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts

Just don't brag about it to non car enthusiasts and you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about coworkers, just clients if you're in that type of job.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:55 AM

The s is my daily, and yes I catch crap but not because it is a nice car. I live in baton rouge so the lot I park in is full of Full size chevy trucks
(all the guys) and full size suvs( all the ladies) with the exeption of a 745 I or clk550 amg(the boss). The worst part is most of the trucks are done up exaust, intake, chip. So they all drag race and watch nascar. Ive told them about autox but they had no clue what that was. They said " you race that thing whats it got like 90hp!" So at work I try to stay away from the topic as much as I can.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:57 AM

F'ck that

If you're going to worry about this, you'll end up having no fun at all. I personally don't give a darn what others think when they see me coming to work in my car.

I've had the CEO of the multinational company who told me "you've got the best car in the company", and I took it more as a compliment then anything else.

Everyone has priorities, and they shouldn't bug me about it if they're more concerned about getting their kids to college or buying a new TV.

My passion is cars, and I might as well live it to the fullest!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:06 AM

It's one of those things that in a perfect world you shouldn't have to worry about, but in reality I find it is always better to keep a low profile. People do get jealous, or make assumptions.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 AM

Received 431 Likes on 303 Posts

I work with people who one might consider very "granola". Lots of practical cars. Mostly a lot of toyotas, hondas, subie foresters, and hybrids. For the most part, the S2000 is considered "flashy". But its your money.

I just found that it is best to tone down the driving within a mile of work. If I scoot by someone who turns out to be a coworker, dirty looks come into play. I also don't come in blasting the stereo or revving the engine. Just don't do anything showy near the workplace, and the rest is somebody elses problem.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:42 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I deal with this on a lower level, driving a "flashy" (bright red) $30k sedan even though I am an entry-level person. I also park in a very visible spot (far out from the building, but right near the entrance).

In the Navy, it was no big deal because there were plenty of people scrimping to afford a nice car; you're almost like a member of a club if you have a nicer car than you maybe should afford. Now, I just kinda play it up about being a car guy a little. I have a model 930 and a model S2000 on my desk, I'm the guy people ask about their cars, etc. Just make it subtly obvious that cars are your "thing" and people tend to view you more as a guy who's spending money because he loves his car, not as a jerk who is trying to show off a flashy piece of driveway jewelry. When my coworkers ask, I just say that I save in other places in my life (going out, eating lunch out, etc) so that I can afford a little nicer car, and no one seems to think much of it.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Former Moderator

It's all about the choices people make and the interests people have. if your choices in life allow you to truly afford that Vette and you love fast cars.... get it.

Quick Reply: Nice cars and co-worker jealousy