Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Next vette a small disp. turbo V8?

Old 05-31-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1

What if they could make the best damn 3.5 liter eight cylinder high reving turbo beast the world has ever seen? Would'nt you want to see what it could do and see what kind of sexy package they dropped it into?
No. Why would I care at all? Would it end up in a car I would own? Probably not. So why care about someone else's wet dream fantasy car? I mean really? It's not practical, it's not realistic, it's not remotely attractive as in "better than something that already exists." So why pretend this ~could~ be super-duper terrific? It's not real for so many reasons, and one of them is it wouldn't be super-duper terrific.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1306874594' post='20634988

What if they could make the best damn 3.5 liter eight cylinder high reving turbo beast the world has ever seen? Would'nt you want to see what it could do and see what kind of sexy package they dropped it into?
No. Why would I care at all? Would it end up in a car I would own? Probably not. So why care about someone else's wet dream fantasy car? I mean really? It's not practical, it's not realistic, it's not remotely attractive as in "better than something that already exists." So why pretend this ~could~ be super-duper terrific? It's not real for so many reasons, and one of them is it wouldn't be super-duper terrific.

By your argument, the F20 makes no sense to build. Honda could have easily dropped in a accord V6 into our car and called it a day. Instead they spent $$$$$ on building a 9K RPM engine that made the highest hp/liter output. I'm sure they could have easily dropped an H22 in the S2K, made it rev a little more and called it a s2200.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 PM

I don't understand them. They want 400-500HP our of a turbocharged 3.0L V8, when you have 420HP 4.2L and 4.0L engines that rev around 8g's from the germans. Even the new 458 has a 4.5L V8 that revs to 9k producing 562HP.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 PM

As has been said before, this rummer has only been reported by one source. Odds are good the R&D guys at GM are laughing at this crap.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oddly enough, I sat next to a Honda Racing IRL engineer on my flight back from Indy on Monday. He talked about their project in which they installed an off-the-shelf Honda 3.5L V6, and how well it worked in the car. Better drivability, better weight dist., and only ~50 lbs. more weight. He said that IF Honda releases an S2000 successor, it'll likely have a small V6 based on the success of that project.

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1306879472' post='20635268
[quote name='vader1' timestamp='1306874594' post='20634988']

By your argument, the F20 makes no sense to build. Honda could have easily dropped in a accord V6 into our car and called it a day. Instead they spent $$$$$ on building a 9K RPM engine that made the highest hp/liter output. I'm sure they could have easily dropped an H22 in the S2K, made it rev a little more and called it a s2200.
[/quote]
Old 06-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1306874594' post='20634988

Fuel injection? F*ck it! Four barrels are good enough. Why would I want anti-lock brakes when I can just lock em up because sliding sideways stops me better? New fangled intermittant wipers? Naw, lemme turn em on and off or just run full blast when it sprinkles. Hell, why use matches to light a fire when I can just bang two rocks together?

The 458 Italia has a high reving 4.5 liter V8 and look at how bad that thing sucks. I mean that little 4.5 liter is just a giant piece of crap. What kind of an Italian moron thought that was a good idea?

You people and your new technology wet dreams. As I type this on my Commodore64 I can't help but think about how new developments and advancements in technology really mess up things. How can I compensate for something with a smaller engine? Why try anything different, ever? It just never makes any sense.

I agree with Rockville though that is just fun rumoring.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
The 458 Italia has a high reving 4.5 liter V8 and look at how bad that thing sucks. I mean that little 4.5 liter is just a giant piece of crap. What kind of an Italian moron thought that was a good idea?
Worth noting that the 458 with it's smaller-displacement (but possibly physically bigger/heavier?) NA 4.5 liter v8 manages to weigh ~100-150 lb. *more* than a Corvette ZR1, makes 12% *less* hp, and gets 10-15% *worse* fuel economy. A glorious engine, for sure, but didn't result in a lighter weight car, makes less power, and gets worse mileage.
Not saying I wouldn't rather have the Ferrari (I would!), but its engine isn't "better" in terms of performance and efficiency than the ZR1's much larger lower-revving supercharged 6.2 liter.

I agree with Rockville though that is just fun rumoring.
'Tis!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are forgetting the new govt. regs that are making everyone downsize engines and many turbo products are coming out in places you don't expect them.

The only way they are going to attract a younger crowd is to make the Vette smaller. Someone said downsize it 10% and that would be a good start but 3/4 size would be just about right. 7/8 the size would the be absolute largest it should be. AND GET RID OF THAT HUGE BUTT!!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also on Yahoo this morning -- http://autos.yahoo.com/news/next-cor...turbo-v-8.html
Old 06-03-2011, 10:40 AM

The above article said possibly a mid-engine layout? Have they not learn anything about GM building mid-engine cars? They want a fire bomb waiting to happen?

Quick Reply: Next vette a small disp. turbo V8?