Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Next vette a small disp. turbo V8?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:59 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Multiple engines makes even less sense than this one single engine. Also, the type of engine being discussed here would be useless throughout the rest of the lineup as it is purely a sportscar motor (would have no use in a pickup, like the LSx motor).
Old 05-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

Torque or gtfo.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS motors are here for a very long time. Mark Reuss doesn't understand the Corvette.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

If they can't accomplish 125 hp/l revving to 10K without a turbo then something is wrong. This article really is a lot of speculation and the potential #'s we are being fed are clearly not rooted in reality. When they say small turbo V8 I am thinking 5.7 or less...probably no way it would go below even say 5.0 displacement. This has been on the rumour block for sometime...but they are not going to end up going high revving when this is all about improving fuel economy and emissions. All the euro manufacturers are already moving away from the higher revving powerplants because they are simply not efficient.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One point in the rumor's favor, recall the C4 ZR-1. That was an astonishing production motor for its time (in a crappy chassis) -- 32 valved, aluminum block, variable intake. And the price of the ZR-1 was equally jaw-dropping (ratio similar to the C6 base versus C6 ZR-1, lol).
Old 05-29-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

So much of this is speculation. Someone needs to check the rumor with a Honda salesman, to get the true scoop.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Traveldude
This makes no sense to me whatsoever. The V-8 in the Vette is compact, powerful and returns good fuel mileage.

Instead of investing the funds into a completely new engine, why not put the dollars towards the exterior design and the interior finishes. I think those elements are holding the Vette back more than its engine.
Yep. Good luck designing a new V8 that's smaller, lighter, and more fuel efficient than GM's current generation of small blocks with anything near the cost to produce or the reliability. I don't see the economics for a low volume V8 engine that's only going to see duty in a high end sports car. It doesn't make sense.

Now, if Chevy could shrink the Vette 10% and lose maybe 400 lbs while making the interior competitive.....I could see developing the current corporate 3.6L V6 with DI into a turbo variant that could rev to maybe 8,000 rpm. That would be cool.....to me. But would "Corvette buyers" line up for a V6 Vette?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, but S2000 buyers would ("look, the S3000!"). Lots of us want less weight but GM is already using a lot of tricks, some expensive, to get the weight they have now. It'd be like BMW's "Light" versions that cost a megabuck more and lose a whole 200 lbs. Not enough buyers for that, I imagine.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If GM could reduce its footprint by 10% and weight by 5% along with a nicer, sleeker interior, I'd be more than satisfied.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Who knows if the rumor is true or not. Hell, if I were at GM I would float BS rumors all day long about the C7 if it kept people talking about it.

As far as whether or not anybody would be interested, it piqued my interest enough to read the articles. I'd rather have a wait and see attitude then dismiss it out of hand. What if a smaller high reving turbo eight kicked massive ass? Would you say "Screw that, I want the old one back!"

I don't think this is the true route they will take, but the C7 is the only car remotely on my radar for the next purchase compared to a Cayman. If a smaller turbo 8 makes the whole car smaller in dimension and weight, than it only becomes more attractive to me personally, not less.

I still think this is just something to get people to talk about the Vette or even a trial balloon to see enthusiast reaction, but better is better. If someone can make a better overall car with a smaller turbo engine than and bigger pushrod, fantastic. But if it is the route they decide, don't dismiss it until you see the result.

Lots of you think that GM makes the best damn 6 liter pushrod beast on the planet. What if they could make the best damn 3.5 liter eight cylinder high reving turbo beast the world has ever seen? Would'nt you want to see what it could do and see what kind of sexy package they dropped it into?

Quick Reply: Next vette a small disp. turbo V8?