Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Next vette a small disp. turbo V8?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see how much engine bay space it would fill up

great motor for the S2k
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make it so Number One

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

10,000rpm turbo vette sounds really good. The only problem with that is that all of the old folks with their Z06's will want those instead of these, so the prices on C6 Z06's will never come down... I am foiled again!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 AM

I'm all for innovation but I feel like the Corvette has a good recipe already. I think the Vette is the perfect combination of boyish muscle car power meets sophisticated chassis and suspension. Hell, even the big bad v8 is pretty damn sophisticated. The car makes plenty of power and it gets good gas mileage.
Now after posting and thinking some more, I agree. The people who buy vettes want one thing, and that's a big ass motor... The problem is, will they ever get that big ass motor to pass CAFE? I really doubt that you could ever get the 6.2L engine that they use now (even if they went D/I) over 35 mpg City. Starting in a few years, they only way that you are going to be able to make power, will be with turbo/superchargers.

I'd like to see how much engine bay space it would fill up

great motor for the S2k
First one to swap in the 3.0L V8 from the atom 500 wins everything...
Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Banned

A street-legal turbo V8 that can rev to 10K? I'll believe it when I see it. Name one street-legal turbo car that can rev to 10K.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steponme
A street-legal turbo V8 that can rev to 10K? I'll believe it when I see it. Name one street-legal turbo car that can rev to 10K.
Maybe that's because no one has produced one... ??
Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Originally Posted by Steponme' timestamp='1306429178' post='20618700
Ding, ding! Producing a turbo V8 that can rev to 10K for the street? Oh yeah, I can just picture how reliable and realistic the car would be. As I've said, I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder how many people who chose a 911 or Ferrari or Lambo over a Corvette would be swayed by a "European-style engine." I suspect not many.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cbehney
I wonder how many people who chose a 911 or Ferrari or Lambo over a Corvette would be swayed by a "European-style engine." I suspect not many.
Unless it also has European-style design & finish. If it had that and maintained its current price point, I suspect it would be very desirable... once people get past the stigma of it being a Vette.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steponme
Originally Posted by whiteflash' timestamp='1306429402' post='20618718
[quote name='Steponme' timestamp='1306429178' post='20618700']
Ding, ding! Producing a turbo V8 that can rev to 10K for the street? Oh yeah, I can just picture how reliable and realistic the car would be. As I've said, I'll believe it when I see it.
[/quote]

And that's what they said about 9,000rpms... TWELVE YEARS AGO. Now this might be a little presumptuous and overly hopeful of scientific advancement, but I'm hoping over the course of 12+ years, squeaking out another 1,000rpms isn't mind blowing.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A number of contradictory/confusing statements in there with regard to the power plant. A 3.0l DOHC v8 is likely to be as heavy or heavier and physically larger and more expensive than the current LS3/LS7, especially if you add turbos to the equation, which will limit how much the car can be shrunk. As far as I know, the LS series engines are about as good as it gets for hp/lb and ease of packaging. As pointed out, why would you need a turbo motor to rev to 10,000 rpm? Especially if, as stated, you are going to build it with a long stroke for those coveted high piston speeds. Small bore also equals small valve area, further limiting performance potential. The current car will get about 30 mpg on the highway, and I have a hard time seeing the small v8 do much better. My experience with turbo cars is that they are not especially frugal around town unless you keep the boost close to zero, so I don't know how much gain there will be in that arena either.

I'm all for Chevy going after the younger buyers, but I think that by upgrading the interior design/electronics package and materials they will capture the attention of many of the younger buyers. I wonder what the average age of a 911 buyer is? I don't remember seeing a lot of 20 somethings or even 30 somethings riding around in late model Porsches in my area. If you make the car more expensive, that will probably not push the demographics in the direction they want to go.

Given the choice I'd take the current powerplants with mild updates, a heavily reworked interior, a revised, slicker looking tail section and maybe a few inches narrower than the current car with some additional weight shaved off and maybe an optional DCT or something similar to the new Mercedes performance transmission.

Quick Reply: Next vette a small disp. turbo V8?