Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New WRX

Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never understood the hype surrounding these cars. The WRX might be the most overrated car sold today in the US.

Subaru's marking department should be all given raises for convincing a lot of people that AWD actually matters for what the cars are made for and what 99% of the people use them for. I have heard so many people in person who own Subaru's tell me how well they handle, and it's AWD handling is the best and they won't drive anything else. It's just crazy.

I can't help but just shake my head.

And the used prices for these cars out of control. Maybe the new one won't be beat with the ugly stick like the recent ones, time will tell.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:28 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ms32s2k
I never understood the hype surrounding these cars. The WRX might be the most overrated car sold today in the US.

Subaru's marking department should be all given raises for convincing a lot of people that AWD actually matters for what the cars are made for and what 99% of the people use them for. I have heard so many people in person who own Subaru's tell me how well they handle, and it's AWD handling is the best and they won't drive anything else. It's just crazy.

And the used prices for these cars out of control. Maybe the new one won't be beat with the ugly stick like the recent ones, time will tell.
If you live in New England (maybe you do), you'd see it differently. Subaru is the "official" car of VT and NH. Heck, New England has it's own Subaru importer; different from the rest of the USA.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Used car prices in general are out of control right now, not just Subarus. Although, they do retain their value really well.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

WRX's have barely adequate handling... tons of understeer. STI's are better but still plow a bit through corners. I too laugh at people that claim that their Subaru has super fantastic handling.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:33 PM

I also hope they are able to do something.
After the last change in looks on the last generation...I was not impressed AT ALL!
I have owned a 2002 WRX and also several 2004-2005 STi's. I wasn't a fan of the new headlights in 2006-2007, but eventually they grew on me. When they introduced the hatch, I could not get over how bad it looked (to me) but I still drove one. It was a lot more refined than the previous models, but seemed so boring.

I thought the newer sedans would grow on me after a while but that hasn't been the case. I simply do not like the newer model...hope they do some drastic changes on the body of the new ones and definitely up the power.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:47 AM
LFK

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
What a whiner. You want power but premium gas is a deal-breaker? WTF is wrong with you? Forced induction generates significantly higher combustion chamber pressures, requiring a higher octane fuel. And at the end of the day, fuel consumption is based on power output, not engine displacement. That Honda engine you are talking about? They don't make it any more, and it got no better gas mileage than a Ford V8 of over twice the displacement, so it's not exactly the shining example you think it is.

If you want fuel economy, go with a NA four cylinder economy car. Otherwise, suck it up.

If you want a Hyundai, go buy a Hyundai.
Have you considered that the WRX is actually marketed as a four cylinder economy car? Only it has AWD and can accelerate.

I don't think it's whining to ask for a new car to be better than old one it's replacing, and post it on a forum.

Especially since I would like to justify purchasing it. WRX accelerates nicely in a straight line, but for that kind of money I want more/better car. I only clearly expressed the things from a buyer's perspective that would be welcomed changes for WRX.

If forced induction "requires" premium, how come another company can offer one that doesn't require it? Fuel consumption is not based on power output. That is why a Ford V8 with double the displacement and more horsepower achieves better fuel economy than the F20. Why contradict yourself twice in the same paragraph? MPG is a result of many factors. The next WRX will have higher mpg whether I or anyone else "whines" about it or not. Because Subaru is smart and knows that fuel economy is an important factor in new car purchases. The WRX is a $25-$33K daily driver for almost everyone who buys one.

I don't even ask for more power. Others did, but you didn't whine and complain about those posters? Power and acceleration are adequate for the WRX. But there are things that are clearly lacking in the WRX because there are whiners about the weight and whiners about the power and whiners about the appearance.

If you want to come at every car with an bare-bones enthusiast mindset, it's so easy to see why you're now whining on another thread about hypercars that you'll never even purchase, LMAO. Yes, new cars are more expensive and each new model year companies try to offer more. Deal with it. WTF is wrong with you? You think it's better if that was reversed and they offered less? I promise you they won't sell for less, so might as well get more while you're at it. For your convenience, most companies give the ability to turn off TC with a push of a button. But you still whine about it? It's so easy.

If the WRX is already so great and nothing can be said on any improvements that need to be made, oh well. But that's far from the truth. Premium fuel isn't a deal breaker. I pay more for fuel because I think driving a S2000 is worth the cost. But for a daily, it's not much to ask for good MPG. Preium + MPG = total fuel cost. If they increase MPG, cheaper cost. If they use 87 octane, cheaper cost. Doesn't matter which part of the equation they choose to attack. But why not attack from both angles? Every single new WRX buyer will pay more than the out-going model. Subaru better change some things, not just fuel cost. Seriously don't care if you call me a whine-baby. Person paying more should be getting more.

You know every old car was new at one point, right? So unless you only buy cars that are older and older each time, I hope that when you buy a car that you're getting more/better each time.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:58 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

I think you're making more sense now. Most people won't argue against you on those points for the current WRX. And they shouldn't, as the car itself has barely been changed since 2007. It's definitely overdue for a replacement and this talk of 2015 is rather disappointing.

However, Subaru doesn't market the WRX as an economy car. Have you been to a dealership to look at buying one or test drive one? It's more difficult than going to drive a 911 at a Porsche dealership. Most of the dealerships, if they even have one on the lot, ask you to baby it assuming they'll let you drive it at all. Personally I find that mindset ridiculous and almost insulting.

Finally, resale value on them is high because the WRX is not a high volume vehicle. They're almost entirely a "made to order" vehicle. The first time I wanted to test drive a new one I had to drive 200 miles to do so! (was making the trip for another reason, but it was still the closest WRX).
Old 03-11-2013, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by LFK
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1362782328' post='22390518
What a whiner. You want power but premium gas is a deal-breaker? WTF is wrong with you? Forced induction generates significantly higher combustion chamber pressures, requiring a higher octane fuel. And at the end of the day, fuel consumption is based on power output, not engine displacement. That Honda engine you are talking about? They don't make it any more, and it got no better gas mileage than a Ford V8 of over twice the displacement, so it's not exactly the shining example you think it is.

If you want fuel economy, go with a NA four cylinder economy car. Otherwise, suck it up.

If you want a Hyundai, go buy a Hyundai.
Have you considered that the WRX is actually marketed as a four cylinder economy car? Only it has AWD and can accelerate.

If forced induction "requires" premium, how come another company can offer one that doesn't require it? Fuel consumption is not based on power output. That is why a Ford V8 with double the displacement and more horsepower achieves better fuel economy than the F20. Why contradict yourself twice in the same paragraph? MPG is a result of many factors. The next WRX will have higher mpg whether I or anyone else "whines" about it or not. Because Subaru is smart and knows that fuel economy is an important factor in new car purchases. The WRX is a $25-$33K daily driver for almost everyone who buys one.

A few things. The WRX is actually not marketed as a four cylinder economy car. They market it as, and I'll quote from the brochure: "Unflinching all-road performance and an unabashed design express the uncompromising soul of the WRX - a real-world sports car as forceful as its presence." That's pretty far from touting miles per gallon as a sales generator.

Yes, direct injection allows the use of 87 octane in Hyundai's forced induction motors as most likely does the presence of a knock sensor to retard timing on 87 octane. But it's not like Subaru is the only company mandating premium fuel in their forced induction engines. Time will tell if Hyundai DI turbo motors survive the long term. Either way, given 91 octane is 20-25 cents more per gallon, if you buy 15 gallons a week that's only $195 more a year, max. I really fail to see how $600 over three years makes any difference at all to someone prepared to spend close to $30,000 on a new car.

As far as my comparison of the F20/22 for a Ford V8, the engine I was referring is the 4.6 SOHC V8, making 260 hp to the ~240 hp of the Honda unit - pretty similar power output, and almost exactly the same mileage despite quite different displacement. I should not have used the word "based," a better way to put it is "Fuel consumption is more related to power output than displacement." The point is that the WRX mileage is on par with other cars making similar power. It's a bit worse, but not terrible.

Keep in mind that Kia/Hyundai exaggerates mpg and power output in their marketing materials. They're quite notorious for it, settling lawsuits rather than risk a jury settlement awards.

There's no argument that the Subaru motors are not the newest, latest designs and technology. But don't buy the car if you don't want it. Claiming that Subaru should be matching Hyundai's claimed figures is silly. Subaru "should" be doing whatever moves their cars off dealer lots at a profit.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Went to the local auto show this weekend, checked out the current WRX. Subaru must fix the interior. The current car has an interior the looks like a mid 80's Hyundai. It is plain terrible and one of the cheapest looking of any car currently made. Cheap plastic, cheap carpet, cheap everything.

I don't know what happened. The last generation I looked at seemed to be decent, but the current one was probably the worst of any car at the show.

Too bad because it is an interesting car otherwise.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by robotvoice
Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1362752132' post='22389239
THe funny part about the underrating is that the STI generally puts less than 10whp more down vs a base WRX.. Great for base WRX buyers... not so great for buyers dropping $35k+ on STI.
The WRX vs STI argument is so tired. Give it a rest. Similar quarter mile times between the two cars mean absolutely nothing. They are both great for what they do and the premium you pay for the STI gets you a whole lot more than a car that's close to the same quarter mile speed as the WRX.

Anyway, I'm excited to see the next gen WRX/STIs come out. The new engine redesign with stronger internals and direct injection should stir things up quite bit. These cars needed a motor refresh YEARS ago and it's great to see it finally happening. Hell, people have been blown away with the NA FA engines in the BRZ and how well they are responding to aftermarket parts and tuning, ESPECIALLY forced induction. It should be just as great for the next gen WRX/STIs.

I know I know... just poking the fire! I personally dont think either car is worth the money but hey to each their own. I appreciate them for what they are. I would love to see a similar power, lighter WRX with more stout internals and trans. DI would be amazing. A 300-500lb lighter wrx with DI and good internals.. new DD for me.