Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New WRX

Old 03-08-2013, 05:15 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by nofearofdanger' timestamp='1362717217' post='22388667
Why change what doesn't need to be changed? Manufacturer spec battles just results in companies going broke, pricing going up, and the car becoming overpowered for the street. The performance is fine as it is, and if you want more, you don't have to spend very much to get it.
Leaving the performance alone is fine, IF:
-vehicle weight goes down or stays the same. Instead it's gone up
-vehicle sale price stays the same. Instead it's gone up

Once you realize that then the frustration is pretty simple to understand.

Originally Posted by LFK
Originally Posted by nofearofdanger' timestamp='1362717217' post='22388667
Why change what doesn't need to be changed? Manufacturer spec battles just results in companies going broke, pricing going up, and the car becoming overpowered for the street. The performance is fine as it is, and if you want more, you don't have to spend very much to get it.
+1 1990's sports car were great because of the gentleman's agreement on limiting horsepower. Can't just power-up and sell a "better" car.

Power priorities are low on the totem pole for the WRX. Instead of improving power, these are the things the WRX truly needs:
1. ~30 mpg hwy
2. run regular fuel (87 octane). Every other non-German turbo-four runs 87 octane
3. better seats (just use BR-Z seats?), better trim (this is a +$25K car).
4. continue to improve cabin isolation from road-noise
5. step it up on paint quality

If they want to touch the power, just improve the power-band instead.
I have read online in Scooby forum discussions that the new WRX will achieve all of that, except probably the fuel rating (seriously, that bothers you? just deal with it) and I've heard nothing about seats.

FWIW, over on the Impreza boards it seems to be common knowledge that the current WRX's engine is underrated. That it's SAE 265hp is really more like 280-290hp.

THe funny part about the underrating is that the STI generally puts less than 10whp more down vs a base WRX.. Great for base WRX buyers... not so great for buyers dropping $35k+ on STI.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:34 AM
LFK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read online in Scooby forum discussions that the new WRX will achieve all of that, except probably the fuel rating (seriously, that bothers you? just deal with it) and I've heard nothing about seats.

FWIW, over on the Impreza boards it seems to be common knowledge that the current WRX's engine is underrated. That it's SAE 265hp is really more like 280-290hp.
Yeah, it does bug me. And seriously does deter me from considering purchasing one. So I do deal with it, by not purchasing one.

You have a small engine to save money, right? But you still want power so you turbo a small engine to get more power out of it. So you should be getting the economy of a small engine, but the power of a bigger engine at the same time.....but you don't in the WRX/STi. Honda can offer a 2.0 that gives 240 hp without penalty of lag and better reliability and 26 mpg. Okay, I'll pay extra for premium for that.

Hyundai can turbo a 2.0 and get 278 hp AND offer their 10yr/100000mi warranty AND run on regular gas. How long has Subaru been in the game? They don't do that with their turbo 2.5.

Admittedly, those talking points deal much more so with the whole ownership experience of a WRX than the performance aspect. But that's the point. You're spending more money, you should get more car and a better car. And that goes WELL beyond just power/performance. Why can't they engineer the car to deliver better value and make it better to own? Cheaper gas does that (a tank of premium is $5 more expensive than regular). Making the car more reliable does that. Having good paint quality does that.

Performance-wise, losing weight is top of list. Power isn't something the WRX needs more of. Even though I'm sure there will be a bump in power. Seriously, the power of the WRX bothers you? Just deal with it. Super easy in the aftermarket. Unless it's porking on weight like the M3 did post e46, power isn't a priority.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Your point about Subaru's turbo engine requiring premium compared to some of it's peers is valid. But you're forgetting that Hyundai's engine is direct injected, which helps prevent pre-detonation. And I have no idea what Honda engine you're talking about. However their's Si's 2.4 liter engine with 201 hp calls for premium.

I'm by no means well off but I've been driving "premium only" cars exclusively since 1999. It's really not much of a big deal. Do you also put cheap tires on your sports cars to save a few bucks?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacques79
Originally Posted by Scot' timestamp='1362687634' post='22387602
i love how the EVo and STI's have basically the same performance as they did back in 2003 when they were introduced in america.

Low 13's qtr mile and seat 5 and all wheel drive..... yay.... ......
x100000000000000000000000
What do you want them to do? Drop the tribeca flat 6 in there?

Both the evo and the STi are (off) road course versions of basically economy cars. They started out with 4 cylinders, ended up with with 4 cylinder turbo's.

Not many manufacturers are going to produce over 300hp 4 cylinders that are reliable. There's only so many ways to slice an apple.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 AM

I hate to say it but the MPG matters to me too, my next car will be my daily and its mandatory for me that it will break 30mpg on the freeway. I know most of the other cars don't have the drag of awd going against them, but with things like VW saying the 2014 GTI will be getting 220hp and 256tq while still getting 39mpg on the freeway, if at least the WRX can't break 30, I don't care if its premium or regular, it will be a deal breaker for me I'm keeping the s2k, so whatevers next doesn't have to be a race car, just fun to drive. I'm actually super interested in the next gen mazda3 wagon 2.5l, if the new skyactiv 2.5 already gets 38mpg freeway in the bigger mazda6, I cant imagine what it will do in the mazda3
Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
THe funny part about the underrating is that the STI generally puts less than 10whp more down vs a base WRX.. Great for base WRX buyers... not so great for buyers dropping $35k+ on STI.
The WRX vs STI argument is so tired. Give it a rest. Similar quarter mile times between the two cars mean absolutely nothing. They are both great for what they do and the premium you pay for the STI gets you a whole lot more than a car that's close to the same quarter mile speed as the WRX.

Anyway, I'm excited to see the next gen WRX/STIs come out. The new engine redesign with stronger internals and direct injection should stir things up quite bit. These cars needed a motor refresh YEARS ago and it's great to see it finally happening. Hell, people have been blown away with the NA FA engines in the BRZ and how well they are responding to aftermarket parts and tuning, ESPECIALLY forced induction. It should be just as great for the next gen WRX/STIs.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:01 PM
LFK

Your point about Subaru's turbo engine requiring premium compared to some of it's peers is valid. But you're forgetting that Hyundai's engine is direct injected, which helps prevent pre-detonation. And I have no idea what Honda engine you're talking about. However their's Si's 2.4 liter engine with 201 hp calls for premium.

I'm by no means well off but I've been driving "premium only" cars exclusively since 1999. It's really not much of a big deal. Do you also put cheap tires on your sports cars to save a few bucks?
I think the new WRX will have direct injection. The current set-up on the WRX is old. Even Subaru will admit to that. I really do have high hopes that the next gen will be a big improvement overall. I know that some of my points will be addressed. But that is the point; those are important things they should address and that's why they're improving in those areas.

The Honda engine that I'm talking about is the F20 in the S2000. Yes, the S2000 is more heavily engineered and more expensive. But that's what you and I are talking about, right? Since they are breaking away from the regular Impreza, we should be getting a much better, higher engineered car. The S2000 is ten years old but offers higher specific output than the Subaru turbo'd engine?

I'm not putting cheap tires on a good car. I'm not making demands on them just as an enthusiast. I'm expressing very important things that as I buyer I'm considering. As mentioned, the hyundai 2.0 turbo delivers 278 HP, 35 MPG, uses 87 octance, and has a warranty that's twice as long. I don't want to buy a Hyundai per se, but Subaru should be deliver something that Hyundai doesn't...

Why buy premium if I don't have to? It's much more than a few bucks. I understand buying tires if you want to play. But why do I have to buy premium fuel to play? Especially for a car that's billed specifically as a "best performance per dollar"? High compression? Mazda is going to use that throughout their line and only require regular. Since the BRZ uses premium, I'm not holding out hope that the WRX will use regular. It's not a deal breaker, but neither is the power increase that you were posting about (since it's much easier to deal with that). Octane isn't big enough of a thing to be.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 PM

What a whiner. You want power but premium gas is a deal-breaker? WTF is wrong with you? Forced induction generates significantly higher combustion chamber pressures, requiring a higher octane fuel. And at the end of the day, fuel consumption is based on power output, not engine displacement. That Honda engine you are talking about? They don't make it any more, and it got no better gas mileage than a Ford V8 of over twice the displacement, so it's not exactly the shining example you think it is.

If you want fuel economy, go with a NA four cylinder economy car. Otherwise, suck it up.

If you want a Hyundai, go buy a Hyundai.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
What a whiner. You want power but premium gas is a deal-breaker? WTF is wrong with you? Forced induction generates significantly higher combustion chamber pressures, requiring a higher octane fuel. And at the end of the day, fuel consumption is based on power output, not engine displacement. That Honda engine you are talking about? They don't make it any more, and it got no better gas mileage than a Ford V8 of over twice the displacement, so it's not exactly the shining example you think it is.

If you want fuel economy, go with a NA four cylinder economy car. Otherwise, suck it up.

If you want a Hyundai, go buy a Hyundai.
Unamused cat approves this post

Old 03-08-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

If you really want to moan about gas prices - come and live this side of the pond - i think we are just over 8USD a gallon at the moment if i stick 97 super in Gas mileage really does matter when it gets as expensive as this. I quit smoking and cut down drinking to fuel the car

Would i drive the car more carefully just because fuel is expensive - no. If i wanted a car to drive around in carefully i'd go buy some diesel barge

Quick Reply: New WRX