Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New WRX

Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

After Subaru dropped the buy eye Impreza, the WRX and STi have lost their appeal to me.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kreeper
Hopefully they finally drop their crap 2.5l engine and give us jdm spec stuff... The link says otherwise, and it is subaru, so probably time to be disappoint.
It will be the 2.0 liter this time and the turbo will be mounted under the engine. Any more than that the Subaru enthusiasts have no idea.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can they juat look good? For once?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot
i love how the EVo and STI's have basically the same performance as they did back in 2003 when they were introduced in america.

Low 13's qtr mile and seat 5 and all wheel drive..... yay.... ......
x100000000000000000000000

Seriously, I can buy a 2004 STI which will have the same performance as a brand new 2013 model. This is becoming S2000-like.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 PM

Why change what doesn't need to be changed? Manufacturer spec battles just results in companies going broke, pricing going up, and the car becoming overpowered for the street. The performance is fine as it is, and if you want more, you don't have to spend very much to get it.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

If you could find an STI/EVO thats not beat to heck for a good price used, then go for it. Otherwise youre going new. Cmoooon coupe!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 PM
LFK

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger
Why change what doesn't need to be changed? Manufacturer spec battles just results in companies going broke, pricing going up, and the car becoming overpowered for the street. The performance is fine as it is, and if you want more, you don't have to spend very much to get it.
+1 1990's sports car were great because of the gentleman's agreement on limiting horsepower. Can't just power-up and sell a "better" car.

Power priorities are low on the totem pole for the WRX. Instead of improving power, these are the things the WRX truly needs:
1. ~30 mpg hwy
2. run regular fuel (87 octane). Every other non-German turbo-four runs 87 octane
3. better seats (just use BR-Z seats?), better trim (this is a +$25K car).
4. continue to improve cabin isolation from road-noise
5. step it up on paint quality

If they want to touch the power, just improve the power-band instead.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by s2kreeper
Hopefully they finally drop their crap 2.5l engine and give us jdm spec stuff... The link says otherwise, and it is subaru, so probably time to be disappoint.
i read it on car and driver it will have 2.0 engine and will have around 270hp actually. not bad at all.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:23 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

The problem with these cars is if you want a nice example of a used one, you will be within a couple grand of something brand new. I have no idea why anybody would purchase one used without getting a great deal + knowing the history.

Every single time I have test driven a WRX that was on a dealer lot, something was wrong with it where it didnt run quite right.

My buddy bought a 2012 WRX base hatch and I absolutely love it for a DD type car. Has some balls with the cobb AP, intake and DP and with the hatch and AWD it's unstoppable for us in the NE.. but as a "sports car" to drive on backroads and such, the thing is a pig. Understeer galore, body roll, feels like a 4000lb car with stiff suspension and beefed up sway bars... because it is. It doesnt hide its weight at all.

Looking forward to a smaller, hopefully lighter version of this car.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:54 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Leaving the performance alone is fine, IF:
-vehicle weight goes down or stays the same. Instead it's gone up
-vehicle sale price stays the same. Instead it's gone up

Once you realize that then the frustration is pretty simple to understand.

Originally Posted by LFK' timestamp='1362726260' post='22388855
+1 1990's sports car were great because of the gentleman's agreement on limiting horsepower. Can't just power-up and sell a "better" car.

Power priorities are low on the totem pole for the WRX. Instead of improving power, these are the things the WRX truly needs:
1. ~30 mpg hwy
2. run regular fuel (87 octane). Every other non-German turbo-four runs 87 octane
3. better seats (just use BR-Z seats?), better trim (this is a +$25K car).
4. continue to improve cabin isolation from road-noise
5. step it up on paint quality

If they want to touch the power, just improve the power-band instead.
I have read online in Scooby forum discussions that the new WRX will achieve all of that, except probably the fuel rating (seriously, that bothers you? just deal with it) and I've heard nothing about seats.

FWIW, over on the Impreza boards it seems to be common knowledge that the current WRX's engine is underrated. That it's SAE 265hp is really more like 280-290hp.

Quick Reply: New WRX