Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

new VW GTI

Old 04-03-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Euclid's comparison is what I am talking about. Every new GTI I have seen locally is 24k+. I built one up on the manufacturers site, but edmunds is normally pretty close. Even $2 grand is 10% more. I am not sure it is worth it.

I have had Audis for 6 years and based on their pricing, I probably won't buy another one. It just isn't worth. I feel the same way about VWs.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:22 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a few areas the GTI wins over the civic. :

basic warranty: Honda 3/36K VW 4/50K
Engine: VW has 50% more TQ. 139 v 207 - TQ

The VW has a lot more room:
Passenger Volume (cu. ft., mfr.) 83.0 v 94.2
Cargo Volume (cu. ft., mfr.) 11.5 v 15.1
Headroom (Front, in.) 37.8 v 39.3
Headroom (Second-Row, in.) 34.7 v 38.5

The GTI has heated seats as an option (I don't care about this feature, but my wife does) I don't think the SI has heated seats avalible.

The GTI has an available auto shifter (DSG) while the Si does not. I normally don't go for auto shifters, but the GTI/DSG combo is one of the best on the market and would be a great DD IMO.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:03 PM

Go buy both, in 2 years come back and tell us which is better. I suspect one will almost need to be thrown away if it continues its historical trend. One has topped reliability for 20 years for any car made. One has been in the bottom 5 of reliability of ANY car over the past 20 years.

It basically means that one is made real purdy for the ladies but within a year its busts up REAL bad.

Which is which you ask?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:20 PM

Man the car is overweight. It's small, it's fwd, and its slow for the money in this segment.

If it was 4 door, I would consider. I wouldn't even get the Si. I would get the wrx.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:26 PM
rai

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Apr 3 2006, 03:03 PM
Go buy both, in 2 years come back and tell us which is better. I suspect one will almost need to be thrown away if it continues its historical trend. One has topped reliability for 20 years for any car made. One has been in the bottom 5 of reliability of ANY car over the past 20 years.

It basically means that one is made real purdy for the ladies but within a year its busts up REAL bad.

Which is which you ask?
Ha

I own a VW with 100K miles in 7.5 years of hard driving. it's hardly made of puddy and probably will run another 100K miles if I know anything about cars.

Just b/c VW ranks low in reliability does not mean it's only going to last 2-3 years LOL. It may have a few more problems than a Honda but by and large it's most likely going to be a solid car.

Also the GTI and SI are within one percentage point in predicted resale value after 5 years.

Really, some people post the stupidest things on this web site. Now I know what Steve is talking about fanbois here
Old 04-03-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Christople,Apr 3 2006, 03:20 PM
Man the car is overweight. It's small, it's fwd, and its slow for the money in this segment.

If it was 4 door, I would consider. I wouldn't even get the Si. I would get the wrx.
In terms of acceleration the GTi is pretty much neck a neck with the Si so I don't see how you can say it's slow.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Euclid,Apr 3 2006, 09:11 AM
They are no longer made in Mexico. All US bound GTI's are made in Germany.
As if cars made in Germany don't break down? Actually my brother picked up a new GTI. A major reason why he did is the DSG tranny, since he can't drive stick. He bought it for under MSRP with XM, and IPOD connection as his only options. It comes nicely equipt. I didn't get to drive the car, but did get a ride. First thing is how nice and roomy the interior is, but that is a hatch back bonus. Material are top notch with nice gauges and soft touch plastics, like most VW/Audis. The 6 disk standard CD radio is great, however the sound quality sucks for 7-speakers, I think it has 7? The ride is not smooth at all, somewhat hard, mainly due to a short wheel base and stiff suspension. The seats are nice and suportive. It's a nice car if you like torque and you can't stand honda Vtec torque less engines. My brother is going to trade in is TSX for a new RAV 4 as a second car. Overall I would worry about reliability and re-sale, but if you don't care and want a nice car for s few yesrs, the GTI is a good pick.

Sam
Old 04-03-2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by rai,Apr 3 2006, 04:26 PM
Ha

I own a VW with 100K miles in 7.5 years of hard driving. it's hardly made of puddy and probably will run another 100K miles if I know anything about cars.

Just b/c VW ranks low in reliability does not mean it's only going to last 2-3 years LOL. It may have a few more problems than a Honda but by and large it's most likely going to be a solid car.

Also the GTI and SI are within one percentage point in predicted resale value after 5 years.

Really, some people post the stupidest things on this web site.
Couldn't agree more. I've had TWO GTI's and they have been the least problematic cars that I have owned.

Some of the people on this site are...well...dumb.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:51 PM
rai

Originally Posted by slicksilver,Apr 3 2006, 04:29 PM
In terms of acceleration the GTi is pretty much neck a neck with the Si so I don't see how you can say it's slow.
C&D had the GTI 0-60/1/4 mile at 6.6s/14.9 sec and the SI at 6.7s/15.1 sec (just about as close as you can get).

Again you can get quicker cars for less. WRX or STR-4 neon etc. Cars are more than about power to weight ratios.

People pay a lot more than $22k-$26K (GTI) to get a similar power 325i for example.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by omg516,Apr 3 2006, 08:58 AM
i really like the gti, but i've been reading some horror stories about the ones in north america assembled in mexico. damn it vw i want to like your cars but give me a reason not to be scared to buy one.
Most of the GTi's are made in Germany. Check the VIN, if it starts with WVW then it's a real German made VW. If it starts with 1VW or 3VW, stay faaaaar away. Run, don't walk.

I love the DSG... wish my R32 had been available with it here in the states.

Quick Reply: new VW GTI