Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Tesla roadster

Old 11-17-2017, 11:59 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
I don't think you're looking at that the right way. The 40kWh battery probably represents the oldest battery technology. In going to 85kWh, they more than doubled capacity. If they just added more cells, you'd expect the weight to double. That would have been 2600+ lbs of batteries! But it was (according to your numbers) more like 1200 due to improving battery techology. It would be more appropriate to say they more than doubled battery capacity, while shedding more than 50% of the battery weight. (2600+ down to 1200)

Going to a 200kWh battery pack with the car coming out in 2 years, they are no doubt expecting further battery advances and weight savings to materialize. I mean, if they just crammed in five of those 40kWh packs that are lying around, the car would carry 6500lbs worth of batteries. Clearly that is NOT going to happen. I'd be shocked if they even crammed a pair of existing 100kWh batteries in there. With Musk, always expect something new. Either higher battery voltages (less overall cells), or a different chemistry (lighter, better energy density, less cells), or better packaging (lighter). Or some of each...
They shed only 10% of the weight while doubling the capacity. Their current 100 kWh likely doesn't weigh much less than the 85 kWh, if at all. The estimate I put up gives a 12.5% weight savings to the 200 kWh battery over the 85 kWh (if it was 200 kWh using the design it has). They are throwing out performance numbers now based off of working prototypes and I have no reason to assume they've made any titanic leaps in battery technology now nor will they 3 years from now at launch (likely 8 years in reality). The battery pack is likely the entirety of the floor pan of the car and it is a 2+2, not a true roadster. I think 4,200lbs+ is a fair estimate for it's weight.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
More than likely it will suffer from the same problems that the Model S does at the track and will be nothing more than a drag-racing, stop-light warrior for those with large pockets to brag about. For that price point, I'd rather have a real supercar that can handle more than 1-2 laps around the track.
Yeah, that is what I was wondering about. Battery cooling will be a major challenge.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ishtori5
What exactly is the point of this car? I still can't understand why people are excited about this. No matter how much advances they made recently on battery technology it is going to add extra weight to the car. Extra weight = poor performance and this is marketed to be a sports roadster? Sure it is going to be a drag strip monster but is there going to be anything else this car will be good at?

For $250k...I much rather get exicted about this:

You make a fun point

Do most super car folks go to the track, no

so there is plenty of biz to be had providing something with red light/green light mind blowing speed

I am sure it will be lots of fun to toss around. My NSX is and it is heavy.

You like the GT2RS, I like it too but the Tesla Roadster serves another purpose.

No need to hate on it.

Maybe Tesla becomes huge or maybe they bust due to biting too much of the Apple.

If they do bust, you can be sure Apple will be there to eat them for pennies on the dollar.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ishtori5
What exactly is the point of this car? I still can't understand why people are excited about this. No matter how much advances they made recently on battery technology it is going to add extra weight to the car. Extra weight = poor performance and this is marketed to be a sports roadster? Sure it is going to be a drag strip monster but is there going to be anything else this car will be good at?

For $250k...I much rather get exicted about this:

good luck getting one for $250k.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

if they make it, great. Why would I want any manufacturer to make less "fun" cars. Better than making trucks and regular sedans.

But if I was an investor, I'd be more concerned. I'd rather have Musk actually meet production goals and fix quality/manufacturing issues with the Model 3, than spend time, money, and effort on the roadster. IMO Tesla hasn't been able to successfully launch and produce any of their 4 previous models. They have all been plagued with various issues. I'm happy I didn't put a deposit down on the model 3
Old 11-19-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I’m excited for Tesla and what comes next. Im not getting the people that can’t hold a stick to Elon and sit in their basement and knock this man. He is pushing technology so far ahead of so many other companies. He’s making the world a better place by introducing these awesome new toys.

What I haven’t read in here is the low center of gravity this car will have. If it’s around 4000 pounds and they put in a decent suspension system, why wouldn’t it corner?

One of my reservation on this car is the insane stats it’s putting out. What track is ready for these numbers in a HPDE course? The limits are so damn high, offs will be so much further than most cars.

The future is here. In 20 years, we will have electric cars whipping around the road course like no big deal and will make my s2 look like a Yugo.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
if they make it, great. Why would I want any manufacturer to make less "fun" cars. Better than making trucks and regular sedans.

But if I was an investor, I'd be more concerned. I'd rather have Musk actually meet production goals and fix quality/manufacturing issues with the Model 3, than spend time, money, and effort on the roadster. IMO Tesla hasn't been able to successfully launch and produce any of their 4 previous models. They have all been plagued with various issues. I'm happy I didn't put a deposit down on the model 3
Bingo. He's writing cheques his engineers can't cash. He's a great visionary but he's always making promises that make no sense. He hasn't hit a production target (on time) or a product release (on time) yet. When you declare the Model 3 to be "released" and then you build 300 over a few months, it ain't released or ready for release.

He needs an actual COO with production experience to give timelines that his employees can hit. Musk used to have some of the best engineers in the business working for him. Most have left, with good reason: he commits them to nonsensical timelines that have no basis in reality. He has no respect for the time it takes to set up, test, revise (loop until good) and qualify production processes in a high-volume plant, making something as complex as a vehicle.

The OEMs are going to eat his lunch. Making a wildly powerful vehicle (ICE or electric) has never been an issue. Making one that works well, all the time, in all conditions, is a tougher issue and the OEMs are way better at it than he ever will be. Why? Because he refuses to learn from their mistakes and instead forges his own path....that makes the same mistakes all over again. His hubris is what's holding Tesla production back.

Great mind but just lacking some common sense.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I instructed in a Tesla S and we made it till noon before he had to head home because his battery was drained and there were no charging stations anywhere nearby.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I instructed in a Tesla S and we made it till noon before he had to head home because his battery was drained and there were no charging stations anywhere nearby.
curious to know how it did? DId it handle like a tank?
Old 11-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

It does poorly. Car&Driver ran one on his Onelap or hotlap or whatever that thing is called where they drive a bunch of cars around VIR. It was real slow. It was never designed to lap anything quickly.

Quick Reply: New Tesla roadster