Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New SUV pick up - Jaguar F-Pace

Old 06-07-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Wow nice pick up. I bought the '15 macan s back in 2014 and still in awe with how it drives. Is the jag new? I compared every cuv at the time when being in the market but never came across the jag til just now with your thread. Car looks beautiful. I just couldnt get past how well the macan handles. For how high the car is it feels so planted. Just as enjoyable to drive as my lowered cr considering its an c-suv. Congrats on your new car tho, hope it drives aa great as it looks!
Yeah, Jag F-Pace is brand new, 2017 model year introduction. I had been looking at all CUVs as well and the Macan was on the list. You are absolutely right about how well it handles and moves, but for the price and options and actual use, the F-Pace won out for me.

It does drive very well - I tell you, that engine note is addicting. Fashioned to sound like the growl of a Jaguar!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by cbehney
Originally Posted by Reckon' timestamp='1465304245' post='23986910
[quote name='cbehney' timestamp='1465239402' post='23986324']
Aside from cargo space and rear seat room, what was your impression of the Macan vs the Jag?
In terms of bang for buck, the Jaguar seems the better deal. The Jag starts with a 340hp engine well below $50k (base F-Pace with the supercharged V6 is ~$42k) while the Macan requires you to get the S variant in order to have the same power (Macan S starts at ~$54k, base Macan with 252hp/273ftlbs starts at ~$47k). Add in options and the Jag comes in way cheaper than the Porsche.

In regard to driving performance - I would give a slight edge to the Macan. Porsche knows how to make a vehicle move and feel like a sports car, regardless of size. But unless you plan on really carving mountain roads at the limits, the F-Pace is more than adequate and extremely fun on regular roads and some slight twists. It has no issues in the power department, with 340hp and 318ftlbs, compared to the Macan S 340hp and 339ftlbs. And I prefer the growl of the F-pace exhaust and engine note compared to the Macan (you can really hear the supercharger whine when you push the F-Pace engine!!!).

The Macan GTS (355hp 369ftlbs) is similar to the F-Pace S (380hp 339ftlbs), but much more expensive as well.

Ultimately, preference depends on how you like to drive an SUV. They are both very comparable and you can't go wrong with either one. If you plan on really pushing the SUV to the limits, the Macan is the better option. If you want a fast, great sounding and sporty SUV, the F-Pace is amazing (based on the F-Type, so you better believe its fun and sporty). Not to mention it has more cargo space and back seat room .
Thanks! That's very helpful and informative. And congratulations on the purchase - enjoy it!
[/quote]

My pleasure!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:22 AM

I am still to see one on the streets here - and I know at least 3 others have been purchased before mine, haha. Adds to the uniqueness factor, so that's a plus. I see plenty of Audi Q5s, a few Lexus NX and RX, plenty of Macans and some random Infinitis.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:56 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 06-07-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have absolutely no interest in an suv/c-uv at all. However, something about the F-Pace has me excited. I love everything about it. Please post some pictures of your actual car. Congrats on the purchase!
Old 06-08-2016, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by bkowa092
I have absolutely no interest in an suv/c-uv at all. However, something about the F-Pace has me excited. I love everything about it. Please post some pictures of your actual car. Congrats on the purchase!
Its a very hot market - getting a vehicle with cargo space and room but with some kind of sport and performance. It fit my needs perfectly . Should have the F-Pace back today and will take pics and post as soon as possible.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:15 AM

Have you compared with the RR Evoque?? Just Curious
Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by suzuka_indy
I did actually. The Evoque is a great looking car and quite the vehicle but not in the same class as what I was looking for; it was too small for my needs but I did look at the big brother Discovery Sport. Both cars have the same engine, 240hp/251lbft turbo charged 4 cylinder, with the Disco Sport being a little heavier so not as peppy and sporty. I don't say this to be offensive in any way, but the Evoque was really built to be a womans car - with interior styling designed by Mrs. Victoria Beckham and specifically marketed for females. Its a great car and I see no issues with anyone, male or female, driving it. But it just wasn't what I was looking for.

I almost bought the Discovery Sport but they had a stop sale issued the day I was there for a license plate light bracket vibration issue. I am particularly impressed with the Jaguar/Land Rover lineup, warranty and complimentary service/maintenance. The cars look great and drive very well. Even now I am tempted to trade in my Audi S4 for something in their lineup (the XE R Sport or the Discovery Sport based on certain things changing in my family).

I used this site, http://www.caranddriver.com/features...vs-and-hybrids, to look at a lot of vehicles in the segment I was looking at, namely Compact Luxury Crossovers and SUVs.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Reckon
Originally Posted by suzuka_indy' timestamp='1465827318' post='23991952
but the Evoque was really built to be a womans car - with interior styling designed by Mrs. Victoria Beckham and specifically marketed for females. Its a great car and I see no issues with anyone, male or female, driving it. But it just wasn't what I was looking for.

Dang!!! that explains why my wife is hellbent on the Evoque, while the bigger Disco sport - eventhough a little cheaper - gets no love from her. Thanks for the thoughts and best of luck with the new car.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Wait till Evoque cabrio is out!