Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New to S2KI -

Old 12-13-2005, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to S2KI -

First off a little about myself. I graduated from Georgia Tech in May and I currently drive a 99 Civic Si. I recently found out my car was either totaled or stolen and did not receive the proper title from State Farm. As such, my car (and myself) are one of 30,000 cars/individuals included in a law suit against State Farm. As a means to remedy the situation State Farm has agreed to a tiered settlement placing my pay-off between $2700-3000 as compensation. I still need to get the car retitled and hopefully it will receive a rebuilt one and I can sell it for a fair price. Which brings me to the car that will be replacing the Si.

I currently have a GF out of state at Vet school (120 miles one way), whom I visit often on weekends. And my commute to work is only about 8 miles. It is relatively mild in GA with no snow, normally, in the winter. This would be my only car and I have managed perfectly fine with my 2-door civic up until this point. Please let me know all of your thoughts/opinions on whether or not the S2000 would be a good candidate for me or if I should end my search immediately and suck it up now before I ever go out and test drive the car. By the way, I have been a fan of the S2000 since its inception, however, I was never in a position to purchase/afford one until now.

Thanks for your time.

Jonathan
Old 12-13-2005, 06:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There really is no need to drive an S2K before you decide to look for a good candidate to purchase (it's that fun to drive).. but you should anyways. You need to get an idea of how well the car will suit you 1st hand. The interior is alot more cramped than your Si. The seat doesn't recline far at all, not much leg room, etc. Also, practicality will probably be a little lower than your Si. no back seat, smaller trunk (big enough for a few suit cases but not much more with top down).

I just purchased an S for a daily driver. I commute 50 miles to work each way and I had to get a lumbar support though since I couldn't recline the seat far enough and I get a slight ache in my back by the end of the 50 miles. With that I am very comfortable in the car and I think it makes an excellent daily driver. audio and climate controls are very close and handy also. the S makes daily commute much more enjoyable
Old 12-13-2005, 06:56 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. I rarely use the back seats in my Si for people or things, so that doesn't seem to be an issue. About how much space is in the trunk? Or should I say how big are those suit cases you are referring to?
Old 12-13-2005, 07:49 AM

I live in ATL, and it's a fine car for our climate. I drive with top down even now.

Trunk is maybe good for 1 carry-on suitcase & a couple of backpacks.

If you're buying a new S, then I would suggest that you go look at the new IS. S has zero practicality & I wouldn't want it as my only car. (I have a daily driver & S is my weekend car.)
Old 12-13-2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by JAPS2K,Dec 13 2005, 10:03 AM
First off a little about myself. I graduated from Georgia Tech in May and I currently drive a 99 Civic Si. I recently found out my car was either totaled or stolen and did not receive the proper title from State Farm. As such, my car (and myself) are one of 30,000 cars/individuals included in a law suit against State Farm. As a means to remedy the situation State Farm has agreed to a tiered settlement placing my pay-off between $2700-3000 as compensation. I still need to get the car retitled and hopefully it will receive a rebuilt one and I can sell it for a fair price. Which brings me to the car that will be replacing the Si.

I currently have a GF out of state at Vet school (120 miles one way), whom I visit often on weekends. And my commute to work is only about 8 miles. It is relatively mild in GA with no snow, normally, in the winter. This would be my only car and I have managed perfectly fine with my 2-door civic up until this point. Please let me know all of your thoughts/opinions on whether or not the S2000 would be a good candidate for me or if I should end my search immediately and suck it up now before I ever go out and test drive the car. By the way, I have been a fan of the S2000 since its inception, however, I was never in a position to purchase/afford one until now.

Thanks for your time.

Jonathan
I also live in the southeast and even though it gets relatively cold sometimes in the morning I never worry about running my summer tires all year long. The S2000 is my daily driver and really the only car I care to drive; I bought my wife a Kia Optima but I hardly drive it because it's such a let down coming from the s2k. My commute to work is 15 miles one way and I take the s2k everyday, no matter what (sun, rain, fog). For this reason, I don't run the OEM tires (the S02's); instead I opt for the Potenza RE750's, mainly because they are a bit cheaper and they do better in the wet.

The car to me is comfortable and I've driven it to Chicago and back (from Charlotte, NC, which was a 13 hour drive).

Do yourself a favor and get one because you'll be glad you did...there isn't a car like it in its price range. I wouldn't want to drive anything else these days.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:30 AM

Thanks again for the replies. I am not looking at a brand new S2000, but I am considering a few other cars brand new. The Acura RSX Type-S, Acura TSX, and possibly the RX-8. Truthfully, I want a fun car to drive, but with enough practicality to be a daily driver. Any thoughts on these other cars?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

RX-8 is not a practical daily driver unless you don't care that it guzzles gas at 13-18 gallons per mile like a v12. The RSX-S is a lot like your current Si, and to me would not be a logical progression. The TSX is nice.. roomy, nav, but at only 205hp, it seems underpowered for $28k.

The good thing about a used S is that its easy to find with low miles. since its a true sports car, many people haven't daily driven them. You should have no problem finding a used S with under 20k miles.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:13 PM

vtec9 - you make some very valid points. I do not want to simply upgrade to a newer vehicle, I want to upgrade the vehicle itself as well. Hence the RSX wouldn't be much of a jump. After some reliability/mpg issues with the RX-8, I think I will be bypassing that as well. Open for discussion....best car including S2K under $26k??
Old 12-13-2005, 02:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

This discussion would probably do better in the Car Talk forum, JAPS2K, not that I mind it here in Intro... I'm going to move it.

My opinion? Buy the S, you'll love it. However, as an only car, you do have some things to think about...

Moving to Car Talk.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:07 PM

I've been to Georgia Tech. Good times!

S2000 is a fine car, and the most fun car you can have for the money. Well, Miata is fun too. As the only car, it'll be fine as long as you don't need much room to haul people or stuff around. Some people complain of the stiffness in the suspension, but it's not that bad, part of the fun. I used to choose driving my S daily over my Camry that would've been better suited for such purpose.

Quick Reply: New to S2KI -