Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New rider question

Old 07-29-2003, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider question

I just completed my MSF course. I am interested in sport bikes (Honda CBR 600,) thinking they would be more fun than my S2000.

But my experience with course was not so good. With all the gear on and in the Maryland sun, being on a motorcycle was like riding around in a loud, dangerous oven with not stereo.

Help me out, did miss something?

It took me a while and three track days (Summit Point!) to get to the point where I could make heel-toe down shifts and slide the car around with some confidence. I get the feeling that sport bike learning curve is even steeper. Am I right?
Old 07-29-2003, 02:48 PM

ElTianti,
Riding is great! It's definitely a lot of fun...more fun than driving an s2000? Well I don't know about that, it's totally different!
All motorcycles tend to throw off large amounts of heat...especially in the summer. I understand what you are talking about. I don't live that far from you. This is something you need to take into consideration when deciding weather to purchase a bike. You have to understand that it's going to get hot out there in the dead of summer...for most of us that's a 'down-side' we are willing to take (the squids out there riding in shorts & a helmet might have a different take, but in my opinion if you ride like that your just asking for it). There are some ways to minimize your riding discomfort with mesh lined jackets, pants, gloves, etc...but what it comes down to is your concern for your own safety and how highly you value keeping your skin. It's a part of riding. You take the good with the bad. Some riders won't ride in the summer heat. Personally I don't mind it because when your moving it's not that bad. But you need to decide for yourself it this is something your willing to live with. I would compare it to the heat you feel sitting in your S in the summer w/ the top down...of course minus the great A/C!

The learning curve for riding or tracking sport bikes is definitely higher in my opinion than your regular cage. Take your time and decide what you want to do, but always ride inside your limits!
-jeremy

ps: if your concerned about the tunes get yourself a Goldwing...stereo and all! (okay maybe not as your first bike!)
Old 07-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Banned

1) "I just completed my MSF course. I am interested in sport bikes (Honda CBR 600,) thinking they would be more fun than my S2000."

2) "But my experience with course was not so good. With all the gear on and in the Maryland sun, being on a motorcycle was like riding around in a loud, dangerous oven with not stereo."

3)"Help me out, did miss something?"

4)"It took me a while and three track days (Summit Point!) to get to the point where I could make heel-toe down shifts and slide the car around with some confidence. I get the feeling that sport bike learning curve is even steeper. Am I right?
[/QUOTE]"

1)It should be a lot more fun than a car for you.

2)When I ride hard I wear full leathers and riding boots or at least a leather jacket, even when it's 90 outside. It's good to have some vents in your leathers and your helmet, I had to make one out of my size adjustment zipper on my pants. I wear nothing underneath but underwear and socks and when I'm cruising between rips I keep the jacket open along with my helmet visor.

3)Give it some time.

4) You sure got that right! The best advice that anyone can give you is; get the "Twist of the Wrist" by Keith Code (I think that's his name). Keep you bights on during the day and be careful at intersections, side roads, driveways and late night due to raccoons (or whatever animals and areas that pertain to your area.

Good luck and stay away from people tell you that you need a faster bike or that you need to ride faster. Give yourself a couple of years and keep in mind that if you
Old 07-30-2003, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even vented cow hide is too hot for me sometimes. Look into fabric (Cordura) or armored mesh. Consider wetting your tee shirt with water and putting a wet wrap around your neck. Not all helmets flow the same amount of air, look for a good vent system. If you're going for a long ride, try a Camelbak or other water system. The hard core sports guys I ride with don't stop enough to drink properly on hot days.

I'm not certain the learning cure is steeper but the price paid for mistakes is definitely higher. The physical & mental demands are greater (e.g. moving your weight around and separate control of front/rear brakes).
Old 07-30-2003, 11:06 AM

If you find no joy in it, then riding is not for you. The S2000 is not for everyone either. It sounds like you calling is not two wheel based.

Some things just cannot be explained.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penforhire
[B]Even vented cow hide is too hot for me sometimes.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MACH5GSXR
[B]4) You sure got that right!
Old 08-01-2003, 08:24 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scottrnelson
[B]If you're going to buy one of Keith Code's books, at least get A Twist Of The Wrist II, which is a little less racetrack oriented.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:47 PM

riding is definately not for everyone, you may just not enjoy it. However, the MSF course isn't exactly what I'd call fun... hit the parkway at a time when its not crowed, map out a nice, calm ride and take it easy. You will see that pulling u-ies and figure 8's is not all there is. Of course there is more to it than cruising in a straight line, but the rest come later
Old 08-29-2003, 11:35 AM

I live in Cali and it gets hot out here 90 to 100's but i still wear my jacket, gloves, helmet, and boots depending on what i'm doin. If you don't like the heat ride later in the day.... I do alot on night runs with friends which are fun too. The MSF course is really really really basic... the best way to learn is to RIDE, but RIDE WITHIN YOUR LIMITS! don't try to keep up with everyone. I have seen ppl gone down because they try to keep up with the more experienced riders. I always ride with ppl that are better than me ask them questions, go to a track day!