Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New NSX vs Nissan GT-R

Old 07-20-2008, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Habiib,Jul 20 2008, 07:38 AM
Here is a question I have regarding the NSX and GTR. Based on what I've read so far, it sounds like the GTR and NSX both have advanced AWD systems. Will the NSX receive the same criticism that the GTR has? I'm referring to the saying that the electronics are doing all of the work for you.....etc. Will it be said that it has no soul or passion IF it only comes with a DSG style tranny? I'm trying to figure out how it won't receive those same complaints if its SH-AWD allows it to perform miracles around the track.
Here is a question I have regarding the NSX and GTR. Based on what I've read so far, it sounds like the GTR and NSX both have advanced AWD systems. Will the NSX receive the same criticism that the GTR has? I'm referring to the saying that the electronics are doing all of the work for you.....etc. Will it be said that it has no soul or passion IF it only comes with a DSG style tranny? I'm trying to figure out how it won't receive those same complaints if its SH-AWD allows it to perform miracles around the track.
First, this is no longer the NSX even if they keep that name.

However, yes it will be a very different feel. I did not get the Active Steering and all wheel turning garbage on my infinit because all the reiewers came to the same conclusion: It separates the driver from the driving experience.

Now with that said: Both these are insanely fast cars and it may just be necessary to have the AWD. The "soul" as you put it may come from a different place.

I test drove an Audi TT at one time with AWD and I did not feel like I was in control of that car so I know what you are getting at. However, I bet they are working on different feedback manners. All we can do at this point is wait and see. I do plan on test driving one of those GTRs if a dealer lets me gets my hand on it.

Dean
Old 07-20-2008, 09:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Leaving aside the speculative nature of this post, the performance or "experience" to cost ratio has never been linear. It almost always costs increasingly more to purchase incremental performance/experience. The GT-R's magic seems to bust that rule, but it doesn't change the fact it will usually be true. And even with the GT-R, I'm left wondering what has been sacrificed to beat the curve.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dean2900,Jul 20 2008, 10:46 AM
Now with that said: Both these are insanely fast cars and it may just be necessary to have the AWD. The "soul" as you put it may come from a different place.
I expect this will become the norm at a certain point. I wonder what the "ultimate" exotic cars 20 years from now will feel like as DBW-based corrections and torque redistribution approaches push the limits so far ahead they become accepted.

(maybe all cars will feel like the tesla )

I get the impression that before my time, ABS and power steering were once things that supposedly weakened the experience, but now they are usually overlooked or considered safety features. Also, I'd bet our implementation is a lot better--i.e. "overboosted" steering is always a minus on a sports car.
___

As for the OP's point, I agree. The GTR's supposed price point makes it a much more feasible supercar. If someone can't afford an Aston Martin, they may settle for a much cheaper Jaguar and be nearly as happy with the car but for only half the money. Similarly, I couldn't get the money for the Z4M I was looking into, but I could make an S2000 happen, and I love it.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:10 AM

The next Honda super car will completely dominate... As long as weve had to wait it better
Old 07-20-2008, 11:29 AM

I have to ask: Is the OP seriously posting this?

A car with unknown specs and unknown capabilities and unknown price vs. another vehicle?!!

S2ki is starting to attract some really intellectually challenged folks.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by vishnus11,Jul 20 2008, 11:29 AM

A car with unknown specs and unknown capabilities and unknown price vs. another vehicle?!!

I agree.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vishnus11,Jul 20 2008, 11:29 AM

My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by vishnus11,Jul 20 2008, 02:29 PM

I agree in general with that statement, but the current post is not the best example of it. As long as I can remember, S2Ki has been home to bizarre comparisons, so comparing RumorCar to GodzillaCar doesn't seem like the best example of the downgrading of S2Ki.

But I do love the way you phrased it -- "A car with unknown specs and unknown capabilities and unknown price"

Old 07-20-2008, 12:39 PM

Give me a little respect. I have been here for 8 years. It is the nature of the car boards to discuss what is supposed to be out. We didnt know sure until last year about the Nissan Specs and the concept car has already been created by Honda.

It is no stretch to compare the two concept cars even if the Nissan is going to be released.

I think it is interesting assuming this is accurate that we have two different car makers going for a different approach. The highly compressed v6 with a twin turbo and the V10.

It is not as if Honda has not relesed any info about the concept car and the specs. It is the new NSX and it will have a V-10 and it will be over 100 grand.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by dean2900,Jul 20 2008, 03:39 PM
Give me a little respect. I have been here for 8 years. It is the nature of the car boards to discuss what is supposed to be out. We didnt know sure until last year about the Nissan Specs and the concept car has already been created by Honda.

It is no stretch to compare the two concept cars even if the Nissan is going to be released.

I think it is interesting assuming this is accurate that we have two different car makers going for a different approach. The highly compressed v6 with a twin turbo and the V10.

It is not as if Honda has not relesed any info about the concept car and the specs. It is the new NSX and it will have a V-10 and it will be over 100 grand.
One thing that will be interesting, independent of comparisons, is how much Acura dealers will mark up the car when it arrives.

Quick Reply: New NSX vs Nissan GT-R