Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New NSX

Old 01-27-2020, 06:53 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Unlike most people commenting on the new NSX, I've actually driven it and it was phenomenal. Quiet and relaxed when you wanted it, quick and brutal when you asked it. My wife was falling asleep when we were just cruising on the highway but she woke up in a hurry when I started hammering on it. It's a do-everything supercar that has the power, the looks and the performance to satisfy 99.9% of the enthusiast population. The shifts were completely imperceptible at low speeds (you genuinely have to experience it to believe it) and the instant acceleration at any sane speed has to be experienced to be believed.

Negatives? It was too quiet for my taste but I loved being able to hear the little "TSSSSS" when you let off the throttle and you'd hear the blow-off valves from the turbos. I'd like more intake noise, like the original NSX. It's heavier than I'd want but it doesn't feel heavy through the corners. I've never driven a more stable, planted car in my life. The Cayman GT4 I drove that same day felt like it was falling apart in the corners, relatively speaking - just all over the place at similar speeds. The car doesn't have the aural drama of, say, a Ferrari or Lambo, and that's unfortunate. It's so competent and so capable that you don't realize how fast you're driving until you glance at the speedo.

As such, it's not tiring or difficult to drive. However, it's also not as exciting since you can FEEL you're going fast but you can't HEAR it in the way a Huracan or 458/488 offers. It's just like the original - an every-day supercar that's not quite as over-the-top as its competitors but, conversely, far more usable because of it.

If you want a weekend car, it'd be great....but not as much as an event as a Huracan, for instance. If you want a brutally quick and capable car you can drive any time, all year, without being stranded or that won't start because you didn't plug in the trickle charger, this is your vehicle. Honda knocked it out of the park with this car.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:07 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
If you want a weekend car, it'd be great....but not as much as an event as a Huracan, for instance. If you want a brutally quick and capable car you can drive any time, all year, without being stranded or that won't start because you didn't plug in the trickle charger, this is your vehicle. Honda knocked it out of the park with this car.
For similar money new or used would take the NSX or new AM Vantage? I know they are opposite ends of the sports car spectrum, but are alike in many ways in terms of utility and cost.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:48 PM

I haven't driven the Vantage so I can't compare that aspect.

I will say this, though - the NSX looks incredible in person (it's quite small!) and it's built very well. I think the Vantage will feel more special from the inside (materials, etc), and it'll definitely sound better, but I can't imagine it's a better all-around car. I also feel that the Vantage looks worse than the previous generation (personal opinion only). I was/am a sucker for AM styling but I feel like they've really taken a step back compared the previous cars, which were just gorgeous.

As you know, I'm an NSX fan - we've had two of the originals in the family - and that's a tough bias to beat, especially when I haven't driven a new Vantage.

Ultimately, these cars are all about you - what you like, what you value, what you want. They're an emotional choice, not a rational one. Drive them and pick what you like!
Old 01-28-2020, 05:49 AM

Ultimately, these cars are all about you - what you like, what you value, what you want. They're an emotional choice, not a rational one. Drive them and pick what you like!
Both are big purchase. Let's say I could buy either one for the 125K used, which is going to depreciate less in 3 years? My hunch is the Acura, but maybe not?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:22 AM

The NSX seems to be depreciating fairly quickly. The demand just isn't there for the car (new), though I do believe used cars will be more in demand as they hit that "sweet spot" where people will overlook the badge and actually examine the car for what it is and what it offers.

Astons seem to depreciate fairly quickly as well. I'd say it'll be a toss-up between the two but I do think you're getting more car with the NSX at that price. It's quicker in pretty much every way and I'd expect it to hold up well also (more reliable).
Old 01-28-2020, 06:56 AM

The NSX seems to be depreciating fairly quickly. The demand just isn't there for the car (new), though I do believe used cars will be more in demand as they hit that "sweet spot" where people will overlook the badge and actually examine the car for what it is and what it offers.

Astons seem to depreciate fairly quickly as well. I'd say it'll be a toss-up between the two but I do think you're getting more car with the NSX at that price. It's quicker in pretty much every way and I'd expect it to hold up well also (more reliable).
The more I dig into the new NSX, the more impressive it is. I am also considering keeping the Rapide and buying an Alfa 4C as a 2nd car. Then there's the Evora 400; can't seem to get that car out of my head... Whichever way I go, it will happen towards the end of this year or early next year. NSX would be easier for my wife to drive, but offers the least space. The California is a hoot, but I;m not as into 10+ year old cars as much as I use to be. Would like to drive the Cali T and see how that compares. I like the looks of it more than the original.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:06 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Both are big purchase. Let's say I could buy either one for the 125K used, which is going to depreciate less in 3 years? My hunch is the Acura, but maybe not?
I would bet the NSX depreciates less. Sure the NSX has depreciated a lot, but people forget that A) it's been out for 3 years now, and B) many/most of them were bought at a huge discount, so the actual depreciation isn't that heavy. Also, the old Vantage depreciated down to below $40k. I don't see a new NSX, with its exotic layout, looks and performance, sinking down to the $50-60k range anytime soon, if ever. Whereas the Aston... there is any number of FR V8 GT/sports car alternatives.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:38 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
AM value drops like a brick. NSX won't depreciate that fast.
you can buy a 14-15 Vantage for $60K.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by S2020
Wow - that's worse than I thought.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by S2020
I am talking about the new Vantage. They're still all over 100K used.

Quick Reply: New NSX