Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The new Nissan Z

Old 05-29-2020, 12:49 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03

As much as we complain about the Supra being auto only, or the C8, how many of us would go in today and actually buy one if it was indeed manual.
To quote the great Jeff Spicoli, right here dude. I was gutted when the C8 was released with no manual transmission option. I can afford the Poopra or the C8 Z51. No manual, no got damn sale for me period.

I'm waiting on the new STI and 86 to be released then I will make my decision on one of those vs. a used Z06/ZL1/GT350. Since I heavily favor AWD for all season performance that's what I want. But I cannot bank on Subaru NOT f'ing the new STI up. Honda is also talking about electric motors on the rear half shafts on the next CTR so I'm in holding pattern waiting on new vehicles. I'll certainly evaluate the new Z as well. I have a Nissan for a DD, it's been extremely bulletproof and the best car I have ever bought.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:22 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

All my fun cars are manuals. My wife drives them to. Think it’s pretty lame when I see people with autos in performance cars.

think it’s worse when car people don’t bother to make a car with one.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:20 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Manufactures need to take a page out of the watch industry and make manuals a premium product. The watch industry faced the same sort of thing when quartz watches pretty much killed the mechanical movement. They just flipped the script, made it into a sorta artisanal thing, charge a bunch for it, and then it became an object of desire.

The bigger hustle was that the tech hasn't really advanced much, and it only cheaper. Manufacturers like Panerai even made the manual wind desirable.

This would then in turn not kill off the manual, and may actually make them better.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDonEffect:
Mr.E.G. (06-04-2020), Saki GT (06-02-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 07:44 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Manufactures need to take a page out of the watch industry and make manuals a premium product. The watch industry faced the same sort of thing when quartz watches pretty much killed the mechanical movement. They just flipped the script, made it into a sorta artisanal thing, charge a bunch for it, and then it became an object of desire.

The bigger hustle was that the tech hasn't really advanced much, and it only cheaper. Manufacturers like Panerai even made the manual wind desirable.

This would then in turn not kill off the manual, and may actually make them better.
ive been saying this for years. I’d pay $5k more for a manual c8
The following users liked this post:
Mr.E.G. (06-04-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 08:40 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Regarding 400Z, I'd much rather Nissan did a smaller, lighter,200Z. Something like a cab-rearward FT86 on a shorter wheelbase and with much better weight distribution.
Perhaps with a turbo4 and/or n.a. V6 as the higher-power/weight option...

We'll see if 400Z makes it, no reason not to be cautiously optimistic I suppose...
Old 05-30-2020, 10:34 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Drove 991.2 GTS manual and PDK cars back-to-back at Barber Motorsports Park. I actually preferred the PDK car. The 7-speed manual just didn’t feel that satisfying or engaging to use. Gear selection and clutch were very low effort, although both quite precise. I haven’t tried the 991.2 GT3 6-speed yet.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:18 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by waltk88
Drove 991.2 GTS manual and PDK cars back-to-back at Barber Motorsports Park. I actually preferred the PDK car. The 7-speed manual just didn’t feel that satisfying or engaging to use. Gear selection and clutch were very low effort, although both quite precise. I haven’t tried the 991.2 GT3 6-speed yet.
I’ve owned so many manuals and modded many of them. Bushings, new clutch spring, always aftermarket options to tighten it up and make it outstanding. I think many are too skurrred to mod anything anymore.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:55 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I seek out manuals. I am looking to add another when I can swing it but I need to get a storage lift for the garage first. I would like an ND2 RF or M2/240i. I would only buy one if I can find a manual. Post a write up of an ND2 if you pick one up, please.

I would also add Acura just put out the official TLX info, and no manual. I really like the looks of the car but have zero interest in it without one. New Z has manual? Interest. TLX no manual? No interest.

My last hope for company to make their top of the line sport sedan in manual is the potential for one in a Mazda sedan with their planned straight six. Infinity came close, but I did not want the bottom trim to get a stick.
all day long. I too am a manual shift snob. All 5 of our cars have 3 pedals, even the wife's outback. ANY "sports" car needs to have a manual shift in my books. Let's hope Z car for the win. now, if only Toyota would do the same for the Supra...then we'd see a good rivalry heat up on the track.
darcy
Old 05-30-2020, 04:59 PM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

They have the worst line up of vehicles, but I always liked the Z cars, pretty much every model they ever made. Bring back the Datsun name lol.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:50 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
They have the worst line up of vehicles, but I always liked the Z cars, pretty much every model they ever made. Bring back the Datsun name lol.
agreed, Joey. Apart from the Z, there is nothing of note on the Nissan show room floor currently. My brother has a 2nd year specV Sentra (new car for him at the time he virtually stole since they couldn't get them off the lots at the time). It is a real fun car to drive- LSD, 6 speed. We've done a bunch of stuff to it over the years so its pretty raucous- removed the balance shafts, primary cat, intake, header, exhaust, stiff suspension, removed rear seats. Its his daily driver when he drives...I really want it in my life since they don't make 'em like that anymore.

darcy

Quick Reply: The new Nissan Z