Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Nismo parts for GTR

Old 08-29-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by budgy,Aug 29 2008, 05:14 PM
i would say that based on the idea that power/weight ratio's are typically the one most important thing when comparing one car versus another on a track, and the GT-R is WAY behind an ACR, ZR1 or even a Z06 for that matter in this area. Typically on dry roads AWD should not really be an advantage at all, so I would say all the technology that you do not see as being a big leap forward definitely made up a lot of ground for a car that is over weight and underpowered against its competition. This is what is incredible about the GT-R from a technical perspective even ignoring the price points of the car.
Power to weight is obviously not the most important thing. Look at the GTR, like you said its wayyyyy behind but it does hold its own against 2 other cars with much higher ratios. Obviously there are other important factors to consider then just power/weight.

AWD is an advantage and disadvantage even in dry. It has more drivetrain loss (typically) but at the expensive of being much more stable as compared to RWD anyway. I was more referring to the fact that the technology is nothing NEW in the GTR, people were / are making the car out as a godsend with totally revolutionary technology implemented in it. As I said, its nothing revolutionary.

Impressive yes, considering....revolutionary hardly

again IMO.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well this is exactly my point, its all the technology in the GT-R over the ZR1 or ACR which makes it some how compete on such a wide open track like the Nurburgring despite the FACT that being heavy as shit is a huge detriment to how well a car handles and brakes, and obviously in the straight line the ZR1 or ACR are gonna pull away from the GT-R.

I am just saying that if you took an ACR or ZR1 and added 600 pounds of ballast weight or whatever you needed to make it the same weight as a GT-R there is no way they would even be close to the time...now before you blast me for saying that because I know its silly to say this, just keep some context please about my previous comments. I know its hardly fair to say the cars should be compared if one of them had to lug around extra weight that it wasn't even designed to hold, just merely trying to get my point across about how this car truly is revolutionary, all the reviewers seem to agree with that, the car does things that based on the paper specs it should not be able to do.

EDIT: This is actually budgy posting, just forgot to log off my bro's computer, so sorry about any confusion there
Old 08-29-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Aug 29 2008, 06:32 PM
Impressive yes, considering....revolutionary hardly
Never before has a car accomplished so much with so little hp. It's a revolutionary development of the concept of what a car is capable of. Even with the EVO and STI, the GTR is a whole new idea on car performance. The progressions of 911 -> 911 S -> 911 GT3 -> 911 GT2 is an evolution. A 3900 lbs 480 car accomplishing what it "normally" takes a 3400 lbs 600 hp car to accomplished - that's a revolution.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:23 PM

Additionally, here's what I'm really excited about - take the concepts behind the GTR, refine them, lighten them, and put them into a car with 350 hp and 2800 lbs. THAT would rock.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Elistan,Aug 29 2008, 08:23 PM] Additionally, here's what I'm really excited about - take the concepts behind the GTR, refine them, lighten them, and put them into a car with 350 hp and 2800 lbs.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Aug 29 2008, 07:27 PM
Thats personal opinion on what is comfortable and whats not. I find my, more or less, track only s2000 very comfortable and "DDable" but I bet many wouldn't either. Luxury? Its a Nissan, lets be serious now. I hardly call the interior luxurious anymore then I would my 25k WRX. But once again personal opinion.

I thought the spec-v was said by Nissan to cost ~120k or something ridiculous. If it was just a rumor, my bad I thought that was confirmed.

I think we can both agree both of these cars perform (neither you or I denied that). I should hope your not racing in the snow. Hell without proper tires, neither car would perform in the snow. AWD means nothing without proper traction. As for rain, sure the GTR would overall be better. Do note though, both the ACR and the GTR were tested on the Nurburgring when it had rained earlier in the day.

I wouldn't mind owning a 911 turbo at some point
Stone is stone no matter how you look at it. As a matter of fact any Nissan is equipped with more Luxury than a Dodge.

Stop twisting things around, the bottom line is that te GTR is a leap and revolutionary, so its the ACR in its own way but overall the GTR is more of an everyday car with the GO of race cars that are very harsh to live with every day like the ACR.

I personally would take an ACR for DD with no problems but I know for a fact that I'm not the masses, I'm the minority like you that can live with the pain that is to drive a race car. Most people want a little of everything and be able to live with it and that is what Nissan accomplished with the GTR just like Porsche has done all along with the Turbo. The GTR was not created to go against the likes of Corvettes and Vipers, it was created to give those that can't afford a Porsche Turbo the chance to own something close and special in its own way. To its advantage its price range landed right on the Z06 realm (which ws unheard of) and the 50 year old ladies on the Vettes started to get worried.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Aug 29 2008, 08:34 PM
to a point. I would still rather have a 6-speed manual and a more driver oriented driving experience (rather then videogame like). But yes it would be one fun car.

S2k on roids
I dunno, the S2000 is lauded by many its owners for its great handling - I find it ironic that those same owners then complain about a car handling TOO WELL as being like a video game.

On the other hand, other S2000 owners are proud of the fact that the S2000 is actually a pretty difficult car to drive - the MY00-01 cars didn't get their snap oversteer reputation for no reason. It takes some real skill to drive one to its full potential.

Personally, I would LOVE if my S2000 handled as well as the GTR reportedly does. I don't think an exceptionally handling car takes away from the driving experience, rather I think it enhances it.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Elistan,Aug 29 2008, 07:19 PM
I dunno, the S2000 is lauded by many its owners for its great handling - I find it ironic that those same owners then complain about a car handling TOO WELL as being like a video game.

On the other hand, other S2000 owners are proud of the fact that the S2000 is actually a pretty difficult car to drive - the MY00-01 cars didn't get their snap oversteer reputation for no reason. It takes some real skill to drive one to its full potential.

Personally, I would LOVE if my S2000 handled as well as the GTR reportedly does. I don't think an exceptionally handling car takes away from the driving experience, rather I think it enhances it.
Well said.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo99V,Aug 29 2008, 01:16 PM
The ACR is on a higher ground than the GTR on performance. Since the GTR was manufactured with a different mind set does not mean it has not accomplished much.
So, does the ACR can be as friendly for DD, does it have the luxury the GTR has? No... I think the GTR has accomplished a lot for what it was built. Don't assume anything about the V-Spec until its out, no price or numbers. Don't run on assumptions like when before the GTR was out, the same thing may happen and you might have to

You don't have to bust out the competition card because that I already know.

I would love to race you in an ACR on a snowy road...or wet... not everything is optimal or perfect, the GTR actually can accomplish more than an ACR, performance is nt everything. Note: Do not twist my words, I do believe the ACR is an awesome machine and excellent for what is was designed to do.

Do you know why the Porsche 911 Turbo is said to be the best all around sports car in the world? Think about it.

Furthermore, the ACR's faster time is hugely contributed to its power advantage too (not to mention much lower weight). All the GT-R needs is a healthy diet and it'll hand most cars their asses.

Besides, the ACR is a modified version of the base Viper, to be more of a dedicated track car. Do the same to the GT-R and see what'll happen.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Aug 29 2008, 03:27 PM
I hardly call the interior luxurious anymore then I would my 25k WRX. But once again personal opinion.

You're just a blinded hater, that's all to it. You obviously haven't seen or sat in the GT-R's interior and are just spewing bull crap all over the place. Do yourself a favor and go see a GT-R's interior in person before spewing anymore b.s.

Haters and their blind hatred!

P.S. Or you can ask any of the few GT-R owners on here too. They've all said the interior is of very high quality, most magazines have also said so. I've seen and touched one in person and have to agree.

Well considering a basic car with only ABS (no traction control, no AWD, no computer game driving) beat the GTR by a good margin, what leap has the GTR really accomplished? Seriously?
Power advantage, power advantage, power advantage! And on a mostly track-dedicated car too. Modify the base GT-R in the same ways and see what'll happen.

"Computer game driving"? Please STFU! What the hell does that even mean? Stop spewing bull crap that you have no idea what you're talking about. How about asking the owners if their GT-Rs drive like a computer game?

Quick Reply: New Nismo parts for GTR