Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Nismo parts for GTR

Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonjm,Aug 29 2008, 10:00 AM
I am not posting about an article.

I am posting about two specific sentences in the article.
well still, my posts are both relevant. which is to say, if you break something OEM on the car while @ the track its not like Nissan is gonna cover it, and that the only parts covered are parts that typically should never have any kind of a failure except for the dampers wearing out somehow.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephenopoly,Aug 29 2008, 12:54 PM
Seems more money and time wasted then gained from this. It would be a pain to go to the dealer every time you went to a track day, and I hate taking my car to the dealer haha.
Me too.

Things like this they'll find when surveys come up.

I'm sure many will complain about this. and so I'm interested how they'll cater to customers then? Will they change? I'm looking past this initial offering.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by budgy,Aug 29 2008, 01:05 PM
well still, my posts are both relevant. which is to say, if you break something OEM on the car while @ the track its not like Nissan is gonna cover it, and that the only parts covered are parts that typically should never have any kind of a failure except for the dampers wearing out somehow.
I understand, which is why I wanted to post this up. As you said "...typically should never have any kind of a failure except for the dampers wearing out somehow." We dont' know the details of the proposed plan but lets say they did decide to warranty the Nismo parts even for general wear. I think this would be very interesting, and I'd like to see it evolve perhaps even competitor matched..somehow.

Basically, i at least like where this is going. Not there yet, but I like where it's heading.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:15 AM

well like I said, if the dampers are covered for wear that is pretty nice, I wonder how much those cost on their own, it all has to be reasonable.

I have Mazdaspeed Coilovers on my Mazdaspeed 3, they are not covered by Mazda, however they are made by KW, and the one person I know of that had a failure with one of the dampers had it replaced through KW.

What would be nice is if this kind of coverage could be purchased extra over the car, I mean, manufacturers offer extended warranties but they still do not cover this kind of abuse. And yet a car like the GT-R is made for some track use, why not offer an extended coverage plan for the GT-R which will cover the OEM parts on the car even if tracked. Thats what these automakers really should be doing.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by budgy,Aug 29 2008, 01:15 PM
well like I said, if the dampers are covered for wear that is pretty nice, I wonder how much those cost on their own, it all has to be reasonable.

I have Mazdaspeed Coilovers on my Mazdaspeed 3, they are not covered by Mazda, however they are made by KW, and the one person I know of that had a failure with one of the dampers had it replaced through KW.

What would be nice is if this kind of coverage could be purchased extra over the car, I mean, manufacturers offer extended warranties but they still do not cover this kind of abuse. And yet a car like the GT-R is made for some track use, why not offer an extended coverage plan for the GT-R which will cover the OEM parts on the car even if tracked. Thats what these automakers really should be doing.
Yes, this is surely what everyone wants. I want this too.

I think car companies are scared to take the giant leap, especially when they're losing so much money.

My own thread jack: I saw a vendor offer a BC packaged with a set of hochkis Bs for $13XX. Any word on how BC compares to the Mazdaspeed KVM setup? I'm eyeing a kit.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:43 AM

you mean the BC Racing coilovers, versus the Mazdaspeed KW's?

no comparison at all really. The BC Racing coilovers use the same universal shock body made in Taiwan for K-Sports, D2 racing, etc. The only nice thing about them is they can come with adjustable front camber for the front, but if you adjust the camber you need to have the car aligned. Also the spring rates are not properly matched for the valving used in the shocks, or maybe I should have said that vice versa. The hotchkis anti sway bars are nice, and would probably help handling, however on a car with sufficient spring rates the larger anti-sway bars might be a detriment. The Mazdaspeed spring rates are more than adequate for track use without the need for larger sway bars, therefore I think the best value, you can get them through some vendors for like $1500.

Stock spring rates on the Speed 3: F188 R171
Mazdaspeed Coilovers: F400 R290

So no need for larger anti sway bars, some people might suggest putting on a larger rear bar to make the handling more neutral, however the coilovers have already accomplished this for me themselves, and there is very little body roll, it corners very flat. And since they are made by KW you can count on those spring rates and the shock valving to be done consistently on each shock, as opposed to having a larger difference in the valving on one damper to the next like on the BC's. There is a reason the BC's are $1000 @ retail and the Mazdaspeeds are $1775.

My only other mods so far are the TWM shifter and bushings, and SSR Comps with Toyo T1-R tires but those will be replaced by some Dunlop Direzza Star Specs next spring or summer.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo99V,Aug 29 2008, 12:14 PM
We understand that in your eyes anything related to the GTR is not a leap.
Well considering a basic car with only ABS (no traction control, no AWD, no computer game driving) beat the GTR by a good margin, what leap has the GTR really accomplished? Seriously?

The only thing I can think of is a great bang for the buck (unlike the spec-v) and does lay some competition down to the Z06 / base viper. Competition is always good because in the end, we the consumer, win with improvements done to each car to keep it competitive.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Aug 29 2008, 04:59 PM
Well considering a basic car with only ABS (no traction control, no AWD, no computer game driving) beat the GTR by a good margin, what leap has the GTR really accomplished? Seriously?

The only thing I can think of is a great bang for the buck (unlike the spec-v) and does lay some competition down to the Z06 / base viper. Competition is always good because in the end, we the consumer, win with improvements done to each car to keep it competitive.
The ACR is on a higher ground than the GTR on performance. Since the GTR was manufactured with a different mind set does not mean it has not accomplished much.
So, does the ACR can be as friendly for DD, does it have the luxury the GTR has? No... I think the GTR has accomplished a lot for what it was built. Don't assume anything about the V-Spec until its out, no price or numbers. Don't run on assumptions like when before the GTR was out, the same thing may happen and you might have to

You don't have to bust out the competition card because that I already know.

I would love to race you in an ACR on a snowy road...or wet... not everything is optimal or perfect, the GTR actually can accomplish more than an ACR, performance is nt everything. Note: Do not twist my words, I do believe the ACR is an awesome machine and excellent for what is was designed to do.

Do you know why the Porsche 911 Turbo is said to be the best all around sports car in the world? Think about it.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Aug 29 2008, 12:59 PM

i would say that based on the idea that power/weight ratio's are typically the one most important thing when comparing one car versus another on a track, and the GT-R is WAY behind an ACR, ZR1 or even a Z06 for that matter in this area. Typically on dry roads AWD should not really be an advantage at all, so I would say all the technology that you do not see as being a big leap forward definitely made up a lot of ground for a car that is over weight and underpowered against its competition. This is what is incredible about the GT-R from a technical perspective even ignoring the price points of the car.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo99V,Aug 29 2008, 04:16 PM
The ACR is on a higher ground than the GTR on performance. Since the GTR was manufactured with a different mind set does not mean it has not accomplished much.
So, does the ACR can be as friendly for DD, does it have the luxury the GTR has? No... I think the GTR has accomplished a lot for what it was built. Don't assume anything about the V-Spec until its out, no price or numbers. Don't run on assumptions like when before the GTR was out, the same thing may happen and you might have to

You don't have to bust out the competition card because that I already know.

I would love to race you in an ACR on a snowy road...or wet... not everything is optimal or perfect, the GTR actually can accomplish more than an ACR, performance is nt everything. Note: Do not twist my words, I do believe the ACR is an awesome machine and excellent for what is was designed to do.

Do you know why the Porsche 911 Turbo is said to be the best all around sports car in the world? Think about it.
Thats personal opinion on what is comfortable and whats not. I find my, more or less, track only s2000 very comfortable and "DDable" but I bet many wouldn't either. Luxury? Its a Nissan, lets be serious now. I hardly call the interior luxurious anymore then I would my 25k WRX. But once again personal opinion.

I thought the spec-v was said by Nissan to cost ~120k or something ridiculous. If it was just a rumor, my bad I thought that was confirmed.

I think we can both agree both of these cars perform (neither you or I denied that). I should hope your not racing in the snow. Hell without proper tires, neither car would perform in the snow. AWD means nothing without proper traction. As for rain, sure the GTR would overall be better. Do note though, both the ACR and the GTR were tested on the Nurburgring when it had rained earlier in the day.

I wouldn't mind owning a 911 turbo at some point

Quick Reply: New Nismo parts for GTR