Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Lancer Discussion (Not the EVO, but the Bridge between the Lancer OZ and EVO8)

Old 08-15-2003, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One friend who had a good Mitsubishi isn't a very good statistical pool of data to say Mitsubishi has good quality. Their ratings are pretty bad compared to other Japanese automakers. Companies who are selling a lot of cars don't have to resort to gimmicks like 0-0-0.

The worst part of that financing deal is all of the people who don't make a payment for a year and are then upside down on their loan $4000 on a car that cost $16,000 new. Most people would put some money in savings to offset that, but I feel bad for the people who aren't so finance savvy and are stuck with a rapidly depreciating car they can't sell because they owe thousands more than it's worth. There's a reason the residual on an Evo lease is 41% after 36 months and 30% after 60 and it's because Mitsubishis depreciate like a rock.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:09 PM

Dang, pierceman beat me to it. Nice to see other people see the flaws for the average consumer in that promotion.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:14 PM

got ya wicker on my porch too hahah

nice call though bro.
MAtt
Old 08-15-2003, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

94 hp at the wheels!

Old 08-15-2003, 06:57 PM

i own a mitsubishi, and i must agree... mitsubishi SUCKS when it comes to customer service
Old 08-15-2003, 07:27 PM

just jumping in, my cousin (who is basically my "brother from another mother") has a Galant, 2000 I think, and i love whiping around in that car, he says it never s up but his old man who is good with engines tells him to get rid of it as soon as possible (got it last year from a friend with 20k on it for 10k, good deal in my opinion love the look of the car, but from the sound of this forum should he just sell it now? Oh he wants a GTI 20th but then some days he says he wants to "run the galant into the ground" how long will this take?
Yay or Nay on keeping it is my question I guess?
(mind you he doesnt make the bank for most car you guys would recomend he get instead)
Old 08-15-2003, 07:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wickerbill
[B]One friend who had a good Mitsubishi isn't a very good statistical pool of data to say Mitsubishi has good quality.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:07 PM

I heard about this, great sporty car under 20k, only thing I like about them is the inside and stock radio. Everything else is ok...I would take it over the Nissan Sentra though...
Old 08-15-2003, 08:50 PM

Yeah it is another nice choice for young people who likes Evo but couldn't afford one. I have heard it will carry a 160hp 2.4L inline-4 engine with base price around $19k. Consider it smaller than Accord but with the same displacement four cylinder engine it should go fast enough. However, I really wish Mitsubishi would provide some nice options, since it is not a pure high performance vehicle like Evo.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:34 PM

I own a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES (I4) and I hang out at the galant forums (thegalantcenter.com) from time to time. I'm the first to agree that Mitsubishi resale values are terrible. In fact right now I owe more than my car is worth and I didn't even do the 0-0-0. Actually I bought my car used, so mitsubishi's extreme depreciation worked in my favor at the time I bought it. If I keep the car long enough it wont be as big of deal, but still the depreciation is pretty bad. I will say I have only had 1 problem that was fixed under warranty (failed wheel bearing) in 70,000 miles of driving. By and large most of the guys on the Galant Forum have not had a whole lot of trouble with their cars. No, our cars probably aren't as reliable as a Honda (had a CRX and loved it), but I don't hear a whole lot of horror stories either. I have found that a good gauge, aside from the venerable consumer reports (which seems to rate the galant average, and the Galant did make the recommended list this past year if I'm not mistaken), for reliability are the consumer reviews at Edmunds.com and Epinion.com. For instance, check out Volkswagen - at least %50 of the reviews complain of failed window regulators or something like that. If you read reviews of the Galant they are generally good. As for the engine, I have heard a lot of good things about Mitsubishi's 2.4l I4. In fact a few members have over a 100k on theirs and have had no problems.

Ninethreeeleven - If he (your cousin) likes the car I would recommend he keep it. As long as he takes care of regular maintenance (sp?) it should run for a good long time. I would stay away from the GTI. If he has any doubts send him to edmunds.com and epinions.com and have him read the reviews for a 1 or 2 year old GTI. I think he'll change his mind real quick. I did, cause I thought the GTI was very cool until I read the reviews. Also if he's interested in more power for his galant go to rippmods.com They have a supercharger for the Galant and so far I believe no one has blown an engine. From what I gather Rippmods is very careful about their work.

And just to make sure this is really long... I test drove an S2000 a few weeks ago. It was the second time I've driven one. Driving it a second time I seemed to notice the lack of strong low end torque more than the first time I drove one. Don't get me wrong it goes very well, I just wouldn't mind getting pushed back in my seat a little more...and yes I know straight line performance is not what the car is about...but it never hurts ya know. (I have driven a C5 Vette and thought is sucked in almost every way except brute power and good handling). I do love the feel of the S2000, it's very easy to drive and very very tight. I also noticed this time how narrow the driver's seat area is. Not the seat itself, but the fact that my legs seemed to push up against the door and center console area when I was just sitting in it (but not when driving because my legs are extended). Now I know I would be driving in it and not just sitting in it but still, coming from a Galant the S2000 is VERY narrow. I sat in a Miata and found it to be roomy compared to the S2000. However with the Miata I noticed that the top of the windshield seemed to protrude into my line of sight a little bit. I could still see out, it just seemed like I had to duck my head a little or lean way back in order to see out the windshield properly. Anyone else notice this?

So in conclusion The S2000 was fun, but probably not for me. I am going to look into a used Z3. I have done some research and found them to be extremely safe. In fact if you go to car-accident .com and find a picture of the z3 that hit a church going between 90-130 mph you will probably soil your pants to find out the driver and passenger both lived! Amazing. There are more stories but I have written enough. Thanks for reading.

Rod