Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

new GTR is a rat!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This goes for anything, but even more so in this case: if I were paying $70,000+ for a high performance car, I'd want the manufacturer to keep its electronic big brother the #### out of my car.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 PM

More info: At least it won't have this crap in the US
Motor Trend's Scott Kanemura sat down with Michizio Niikura, the president of MINE'S Motor Sports, the first aftermarket firm to get its hands on the new Nissan GT-R. The conversation centered on the roadblocks Nissan has put in place to stymie high speeds and limit modifications to the GT-R.

We've previously reported on how the GPS system fitted to the GT-R would remove the 111 mph (180 kph) speed limiter when the car arrives at a track, but according to Niikura, it will only work on pre-approved racetracks. However, the GPS sensor doesn't automatically remove the limiter by itself, it has to be manually changed by navigating through a series of menus on the GT-R's touch screen. While having to go to a Nissan-approved track is daft in its own right, it's even worse when you leave. After the track day, owners are required to head on over to a Nissan High Performance Center where a $1000 safety check is performed. Don't do it and the factory warranty is void.

Another rumor that began circulating after the Tokyo Auto Salon has also been confirmed: aftermarket wheels are out. Supposedly, all the GT-Rs on display at TAS had to be driven in on the stock rollers, jacked up and then fitted with the tuner's chosen wheels. Due to a sensor mounted on the valve stem, if the GT-R is driven with aftermarket rims, an error code is thrown on the dash. And although MINE'S has fitted a custom exhaust to their shop car, they've found that any modification to the intake system causes the ECU to go haywire.

While all these findings are disturbing draconian, GT-R owners here in the U.S. won't have to worry about the speed limiter/track day issue. Nissan has said that the GPS system won't be implemented here in the States, but the future of tuning the GT-R remains questionable.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dash going red is just the car complaining cause it can't find the TPMS sensors.

Just add them back in and your good.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Feb 1 2008, 05:24 AM
What's next, it calls the cops if you speed? Calls your wife if your cheating? Calls your boss to say you weren't really sick? If you can't trust your car, who can you trust!
'nuff said
Old 02-07-2008, 09:00 PM

Why not just remove the GPS? Woudn't that solve all these kind of problems? Or if you really want GPS then just change it for a different one.

Come to think of it, I'm sure some people would prefer to buy the car wihtout GPS out of factory.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:37 AM

This $1000 inspection thing really reinforces the concern the GT-R's too laden with technological doodads to stand up to repeated track use.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Feb 7 2008, 11:16 PM
At least it won't have this crap in the US
Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 AM

let's slow down here guys..we do not know if any of this stuff is true or not, heck the car has yet to hit our shores.....
Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 AM

New high tech Ferrari:
"NOT going to the track will void your warranty"
Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by cbehney,Feb 2 2008, 07:28 AM
And not to be a total flack for Porsche, but you can add those points (engineering the car that way plus standing behind the car for that use) to the often-talked-about "Porsche Experience."
FLACK! FLACK! FLACK!

Quick Reply: new GTR is a rat!