Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

new GTR is a rat!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:06 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

don't forget Japan has top-speed limited to 118 mph on most cars and was slow to break the 260hp 'rule' etc..

Japan and US are different markets.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is this 1984...
Old 02-01-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wildcardtrd,Feb 1 2008, 10:05 AM
not yet...but you better believe that the change is in the wind, even for P-car owners.

If I were Nissan, I would sell a special warranty plan that does include light track use...I wouldn't put it past them to offer it with the spec-V if/when it comes out.
Don't Porsche dealerships have track techs? Porsche encourages their customers to put them where they belong. This Nissan thing is a joke.

As for the "upgraded" warranty: That won't go over at all. So you pay more for nothing but a stronger word? As a customer, that's garbage. What kind of performance car can't perform without fear of it breaking? Just like the M cars not offering the extended warranty we discussed awhile back. Whether or not they will last is one thing but the fact that the manufacturer is not confident enough to back the car is disconcerting.

On another note, the ECU will be cracked in some form or another if talented people want to make it happen. There's always, always, always a way around these things.

I hear that the new vettes, have a voice that says, "is that all you got?"
Old 02-02-2008, 05:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Porsche is very cool about supporting usage of their cars on the track w/o invalidating warranties. My local dealer even sponsored a great auto-x school, which cut the cost to a third of what it would have been otherwise, they fed us all day, and provided a Cayman S & Boxster S for unlimited test runs around the track (actually a small road course but w/ cones added). But Porsche engineers their cars to withstand track abuse, so they're confident enough to back them up under such use.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Feb 2 2008, 09:44 AM
Yes, Porsche is very cool about supporting usage of their cars on the track w/o invalidating warranties. My local dealer even sponsored a great auto-x school, which cut the cost to a third of what it would have been otherwise, they fed us all day, and provided a Cayman S & Boxster S for unlimited test runs around the track (actually a small road course but w/ cones added). But Porsche engineers their cars to withstand track abuse, so they're confident enough to back them up under such use.
And not to be a total flack for Porsche, but you can add those points (engineering the car that way plus standing behind the car for that use) to the often-talked-about "Porsche Experience."

Old 02-02-2008, 06:54 AM

^^I so want a Porsche
Old 02-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

It's a rat? I thought it was a terminator?

Sick of reading these statements yet? Don't worry! When full tests are out, there'll be many more similar statements from all other magazines as well.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:36 PM

Honestly I'm just here with my kid to watch Nascar
Old 02-03-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=versionJDM,Jan 31 2008, 09:40 PM] http://www.sema.org/Main/ArticleDeta...ontentID=58974

Innovation Is Alive and Well
The innovation that aftermarket companies around the world display is legendary, and the in-house innovative power displayed by some TAS exhibitors showed that the bar has been raised higher this year, particularly when it comes to products that have become highly computerized. Aftermarket companies in Japan had heard dire predictions from inside Nissan that the GT-R would be impossible to modify, so they were prepared for the worst.

A Japanese journalist reportedly had the following experience when test driving a pre-release model of the GT-R. As he approached the main entry gate of Suzuka International Circuit, the car
Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 PM

Haha, not exactly what you expect when you buy "911 Turbo performance for half the price!"

Quick Reply: new GTR is a rat!