Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

new GTR is a rat!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bet if the GPS system is jammed of disconnected that the ECU goes into a "limp home" mode! The war between enthusiast and manufacturer escalates.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shhh.. it's listening.

The GTR knows where you live and it has enough power to do a 3.3 seconds 0-60 right over your ass while you sleep. It'll probably talk shit while it does it too.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jan 31 2008, 08:46 PM
The GPS knows when you are on a race track - that's also the only time you can turn the stability nannies off.
And that's when the black box turns on

After a couple more times, the voice issued a final warning that the vehicle was recording his driving habits and any damage done to the vehicle at the circuit would not be covered under the new-car warranty at a Nissan dealership.
So how is this gonna work in the US? It won't have the race-track recognition software. Does this mean buyers can't track their GTRs?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by wildcardtrd,Feb 1 2008, 07:55 AM
It won't be too long before the big aftermarket companies crack the GT-R computer and have their way with it, either scrambling the GPS signal or disabling it for track use.

Besides, I think that the first major lawsuit that develops from Nissan voiding someone's warranty on a component that broke but was unrelated to any track "abuse" will pretty much negate this nanny back to nothing more than a nagging bark with no bite. Remember, the manufacturer needs to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you or your aftermarket components caused the malfunction. They are bound by law to honor your warranty otherwise...at least here in the states. Things may be different in Japan.
I know many is praying that your right man..lol it doesn't look like Nissan is dicking around. This car was about a decade in the making and I wouldn't be surprised if nissan made damn sure it was near impossible to crack. And when that first few actually do it, it will not be cheap.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Feb 1 2008, 01:16 PM
I know many is praying that your right man..lol it doesn't look like Nissan is dicking around. This car was about a decade in the making and I wouldn't be surprised if nissan made damn sure it was near impossible to crack. And when that first few actually do it, it will not be cheap.
I'm sure Nissan put their best minds to work to keep us from dicking around with their version of the Cyberdyne Systems Model T-101
Old 02-01-2008, 09:24 AM

nissan should just challenge the /b/tards to crack it. They would have that thing open like Paris Hilton's legs in 30 minutes.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by wildcardtrd,Feb 1 2008, 07:55 AM
It won't be too long before the big aftermarket companies crack the GT-R computer and have their way with it, either scrambling the GPS signal or disabling it for track use.
You all will be relieved to know that the Japanese tuning company Mines has already cracked the "uncrackable" GTR ECU. Mines was born as one of the premier companies for tuning ECUs so it doesn't surprise me that they were able to do this. Their R34 GT-R road car was absolutely stunning. I expect to see a better performing car come out of the R35.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Like all factory stock JDM cars, the GT-R is speed limited to 180kph. That's around 112mph. Only when the GPS signals that the GT-R is at a race circuit location is the speed limiter disabled.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:28 AM

So if you can't go fast at the track with it, what will people do? Oh yea, go fast on public roads. This is a pretty good excuse to not "take it to the track" for those top speed runs, etc..

While they are at it, why not limit the speed to 88mph, since. Anything faster is illegal on public roads, which is where the car is being restricted to if you want a warranty. I guess everyone will have a choice between breaking the law or breaking their warranty...
Old 02-01-2008, 11:37 AM

Meh. It can't be that hard to fool it anyways.

Quick Reply: new GTR is a rat!