Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New G35 vs IS350 Vs TL Type S: Road & Track

Old 12-28-2006, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porschefan1013,Dec 29 2006, 12:29 AM
So forgive me for stating the facts...TOYOTA DOES NOT BUILD FUN CARS!!! They build appliances, they're a greedy money grubbing corporation, not an auto manufacturer...they're in the business of making a profit, not building cars the world loves to drive. The only reason they improve is to try and STEAL STEAL STEAL the customers of other makes, so they copy and try to reproduce old technology and perfect it, old farts are suckered into but real car enthusiasts see right through it and the car mags expose them falling flat on their faces. Now I've said my peace and I'll say no more.
A public auto company's CEO's primary responsibility is to maximize return to shareholders, not to build cars the world loves to drive. If I were a Toyota shareholder, I'd be pretty pleased w/ their performance. I have no desire to buy a Toyota, but they obviously meet the needs of a great portion of the car buying public, and manage to maintain brand loyalty that most other mfgs. would kill for.

Plus, isn't business all about stealing market share from your competitors?

If you ever become a CEO, let me know so I can avoid buying your stock...
Old 12-28-2006, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Chris S,Dec 28 2006, 11:21 PM] A public auto company's CEO's primary responsibility is to maximize return to shareholders, not to build cars the world loves to drive.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by porschefan1013,Dec 28 2006, 10:29 PM
So forgive me for stating the facts...TOYOTA DOES NOT BUILD FUN CARS!!!
Wow, what fact book did you get this from? That's an opinion.

They make high quality, ultra reliable, ultra durable cars. They obviously make a profit, they obviously sell units. I myself am not the hugest fan of Toyota, but I am a big fan of Lexus because they are one of the only luxury brands that offer a high level of customer service as well as "affordable" pricing. Very reliable I might add. First 8spd transmission in a production car. They don't make sportscars, that's pretty clear. They do however make a damn good car. 99% of the world thinks a fun car, is one that gets them from Point A to Point B with very little money per gallon (my definition of MPG) and one that runs.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:06 AM

I think we're on the same page as far as preferences go...I just drove a Cayman S a week or two ago, and it's my current dream car. I also appreciate the driving experience of the Elise, but I wouldn't buy stock in the company!

Please tell me where you found cash flow statements for Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mercede, and Lamborghini, b/c as subs. their financials are generally not disclosed at that level of detail. I can tell you that Mercedes' car division lost money in '05, though, and Jaguar has a long history of weak financial results.

Good cars and good car companies are not necessarily the same...
Old 12-29-2006, 12:11 AM

[QUOTE=porschefan1013,Dec 29 2006, 12:06 AM] Toyota makes near perfect cars.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 12-29-2006, 02:09 AM

[QUOTE=porschefan1013,Dec 29 2006, 03:06 AM]...
Old 12-29-2006, 04:46 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porschefan1013,Dec 29 2006, 01:29 AM
Ok, I don't understand why in the hell you're getting your panties in a bunch.
Trust me, my panties are quite unbunched.

Here's how it works. I am a huge store selling healthfood. You are a small store selling pizza. I make a ton of money every year selling exactly what my customers want. You scrape by selling more or less the same thing as every other pizza store.

So would you tell the health food store to sell pizza, which they are no good at, and their customers don't want? Or would you tell them to stick to what they are good at, boring health food that has been very successful for them in the past? People who want pizza aren't going into the health food store. People who want health food aren't going to buy pizza. So, if I was doing a very successful, albeit slightly dull, business selling health food, why in the world would I chuck all that and start making some pizza, which won't be as good as yours (becuase I don't know how to make it), won't sell as well (because it's not what my customers want), and pizza snobs won't buy anyway, because it comes from a health food store?

Car snobs like yourself aren't going to start buying Toyotas/Lexuses anyways. You're going to buy a BMW. Even if the Lexus was BETTER THAN the BMW, it still "wouldn't be a BMW" so why would Toyota bother trying to make a BMW that you, a BMW customer, aren't going to buy? Toyota would be much better off building a car that a Toyota/Lexus customer wants to buy, like an improved version of the last Toyota/Lexus. They built one of the best car companies on the planet by any measure, except for "ricer math," the theory that car A is always inferior to car B if car A is slower since everyone only wants to buy speed, using this approach.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:20 AM

Good analogy!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:22 AM

[QUOTE=porschefan1013,Dec 29 2006, 01:29 AM]
This isn't a quality debate here.

Quick Reply: New G35 vs IS350 Vs TL Type S: Road & Track