Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New DD

Old 11-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I likes!!! Especially that 911!!!!!
Old 11-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im intrested in a FD rx7 but are they really unreliable as people say.
Nice car btw
Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why r u selling the RX-7?

Nice pick!!!! STi FTW!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 AM

Agh, I'm jealous, nice choice St4rk! Great combo, that's a garage that could keep any car guy happy for a while.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by S2Krence,Nov 22 2009, 08:22 PM
Congrats! The new STis have really grown on me.
Me too. Glad you came to your senses getting rid of that FD. A friend had one and it was an upkeep nightmare for him. That color combo is perfect on the STi.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by EVAN&MONICA,Nov 22 2009, 02:12 PM
what all are the mods?? I think I see some aftermarket horns there right? Were hoping to get an STI in the summer
I'm not sure if it is aftermarket...I honked it today and it was kinda high pitched sounding. Everything else is stock, I checked out the exhaust and it's pretty decent size for stock, it sounds pretty nice too and you can hear the typical boxer engine sound.

Me too. Glad you came to your senses getting rid of that FD. A friend had one and it was an upkeep nightmare for him.
Interesting. I've had mine for over a year now and it has been a great car. Will be very sad to see it go, there's no way I will be able to mod all 3, and I don't really want any of those 3 to sit outside. It's also a big headache dealing with DMV/Insurance/Inspection/Emissions on all 3 cars.

You see any reason to keep the 996tt after modding the STi slightly?
Absolutely. They're much different driving experiences which makes it fun to switch it up once in a while. On really cold days with no snow, the carrera is really really comfy.

And thanks to everyone else for the nice comments, hopefully I gave some insight to people who were thinking of getting an SUV as a DD.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:37 AM

Nice DD!!
I've always liked the look of the newer STIs.
How good of a deal did you get on it?
Was it new or used?
I'm contemplating on possibly getting a DD and STI was in the list.
Also, how's the ride compared to the older gen STIs? (if you had experience driving the '08 STis or older)
Thanks,

Dan
Old 11-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by nearwater4me,Nov 23 2009, 03:37 PM
Nice DD!!
I've always liked the look of the newer STIs.
How good of a deal did you get on it?
Was it new or used?
I'm contemplating on possibly getting a DD and STI was in the list.
Also, how's the ride compared to the older gen STIs? (if you had experience driving the '08 STis or older)
Thanks,

Dan
I guess I got a decent deal. They're about $34k new I think, mine was $28k with 15k miles. I tried to drop the price to 27, but they wouldn't go. Didn't really care as it was already $2000 under my $30k budget.

The only styles of STi I liked was the bugeyed one, and the one before. After that I really hated the way they looked and was a big reason I never bought one. But once I saw the 5 doors I was shocked at how good it looks (especially in white ).

The only other Suby I've sat in was my friends 2004 WRX, so I can't really comment on differences from the other gens. However, I have read a few reviews and the general concensus is that it lost some of it's edge in 08, so basically it's more refined and rides better apparently. I think it rides like a sports car should, and it really handles well.

I got to test out the differential settings last night. There was light rain. I had the diff on full lock and took off from a stop sign. I was surprised at how the car just burst forward without any effort. I then set the diff to it's lowest setting. Took off again and the rear tires were just spinning. To me I think it's a really cool feature of the STi, but I believe top gear said it was gimmicky or confusing, silly brits.

So yeah, I definitely love this car and think it's a great DD. The rear seats fold down and you can really fit a lot of stuff in there. I had 2 15s in my LR3, and amazingly that gigantic box fit right in the back of the STi without even having to fold the seats.

It makes the drive to work as enjoyable as driving in the 996tt, which is what I was looking for. The LR3 felt like I was taking public transportation. I just sat there and slowly drove to work...bored as hell.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue,Nov 22 2009, 06:08 PM
sweet car! Do the rear tail lamps have a vinyl overlay kit on them? Do you know if subaru ever fixed the problem with the car running massively lean after WOT passed 4k rpms? I know they offered a reflash for that but that never really cured the problem.
MY 2007 only for that problem

nice pick up man congrats enjoy it.!! i had an 05 and loved it.

enjoy.... but beware of modding and taking it to the dealer, most dealers will redflag you for mods if you own an STi. then when it comes time for a shortblock they deny you lol.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 AM

That's seems like a perfect DD: sporty, fun, a few mods make a big difference (and don't affect the DD-ability of it much), the hatch seems like it has decent storage without getting into a large[r] ride like an SUV, plus AWD for foul weather (and skunking other cars off the line )

Quick Reply: New DD