Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Daily Driver, what would you buy?

Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why even get rid of what you have if you are just going to get something else in a few years? To me that just seems like throwing more money out the window.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 AM

Why not wait until you need to get the family hauler? Or just get the family hauler now instead of waiting and potentially wasting money buying now and then trading in 2 years?

OR

MS3...

GL!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Used Mini might hold on to its value the best.

I'd vote for the WRX, though.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Sep 5 2008, 03:48 PM
Fair enough, but what does kids down the road have to do w/ that factor? You have no autos today, and your wife prob. would rather have one now rather than wait for kids to get one. (just guessing)

Well, I guess it's easier to turn around and tend to your kids while driving an auto...
sorry, didn't make it clear that the subaru we're getting rid of is an auto..and my wife likes driving it just for that reason...so if she had it her way, we'd have at least one automatic in our garage.

your points are taken

-c
Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by txjeepn,Sep 5 2008, 04:35 PM
Why even get rid of what you have if you are just going to get something else in a few years? To me that just seems like throwing more money out the window.
didn't make it clear...i'm actually giving our subaru to my brother (he is moving back home and needs a car. he's been living in nyc and doesn't have a car).

i honestly was willing to keep the subaru until we NEEDED to replace it. but things have changed, and it may sound obnoxious but i don't think i can get away living in the northeast with two two seat rear drive cars (S and Z), and a 3hp scooter.

i love our subaru. just keeps running and running. i'm in the position now to replace it, with something just as practical, only a little more fun...

-c
Old 09-05-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

WRX or MS3 depending on price. Fit is missing a sack.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:03 PM

-> Beware of Subie's non-WRX 5-Speeds, as what FusionChickenLeg said, they are fragile as crap. I'd rather get a '06-'07 Wagon, then change the gears to the PPG set, but that would be too expensive (5,500 on parts alone)!

-> MS3 seems to be ok, but would you drive another 91+ octane car?

-> I would vote for the Fit, not to be sarcastic or anything, but I would think its the best of the bunch. Sips gas, fun to drive, less maintenance to spend/think. And cargo capacity seems to be more flexable if not roomier.

-> A3 would be pricey in the long run.

-> Speaking on the Mini, why not the regular Clubman (non-S)?

Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 PM

I'd rather not have a DD that drank premium fuel. So the MS3 and WRX would be out.

I'd opt for a new Forester or Astra.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:48 PM

We were thinking about replacing the CR-V with an STI but lately weve been leaning towards a fit... Wish we could get the JDM Jazz 4WD!
Old 09-05-2008, 09:11 PM

I have an MS3 and though it's fun to haul ass, I'm still getting used to driving FWD again(owns Outback and S2K). It's very fun to drive plus couple thousand cheaper than 08/09 WRX if that's what you're looking for. Torque steer somewhat of a negative but part of the fun lol. ECU limits torque when wheel is turned. Power is also restricted in 1st and 2nd but can easily spin the tires in both gears. Test drive all. You might miss AWD. Btw rear seats in MS3 and WRX/STI quite roomy and comfortable. My MS3 and friend's STI.

Quick Reply: New Daily Driver, what would you buy?