Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Daily Driver, what would you buy?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Daily Driver, what would you buy?

i know there are a couple of these tyoe threads floating around, but i value peoples' opinions around here so here it goes...

i'll be replacing my 1996 subaru outback impreza wagon in the very near future (next few weeks). we want to replace it with something similiar, ie. reasonably priced, somewhat economical. a hatch/wagon is VERY desirable. AWD is a definite plus. price range, say below $28k.

please keep in mind i will be keeping the S around.

1. 2009 WRX: hp now up to 265, retuned suspension, AWD wagon. price TBA? and anyone know of a release date?

2. 2008.5 MS3: 263hp, hatchback/wagon. nicely priced at $23k (Sport version). but FWD (our accord 6spd w/ only 240 hp has killer torque steer).

3. 2009 Fit: cheapest of the bunch, best mpg, intriguing magical folding seats. but i'm not sold on the new looks (at least taffetta white is back!)

some long shots:

Audi A3: i really like this car but a 2.0 with Quattro is just too expensive
Mini Cooper S: again, i really like this car but i think it's too small for what we need

whatever i choose, i plan on keeping the car bone stock (ha!), because i anticipate trading it in in 2-3 years for something very safe and boring to shuttle kids around.

any other thoughts???

thanks

-c
Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Subaru will be priced right at 25k. They should be in the dealer lots in fall.

Really comes down if you need the AWD or not. If you need the AWD, well the choice is obvious. I have an 08 wrx and I love it. I needed an AWD car with space and some fun, wrx fit the bill nicely.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

need awd - wrx. but beware of the 5spd as i'm not sure how it'll like the newfound power (the 5spd isn't as weak as most make it out to be, but just in case you like to put your DD through some work outs frequently...)

don't need awd - ms3. stock power torque steer wasn't an issue for me. now with just cold air intake which landed 20whp .... torque steer is fun in 2nd gear

IMHO the fit will have you bored out of your mind in a few weeks. that's what happened to me. yes i know it's supposed to be the car touched by magic, but not for me.

oh and, test drive all these cars and the decision should become very clear.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something used, if you know you'll be trading in 2-3 years. Why go in knowing you'll have it over the steepest part of the depreciation curve?

Though I don't see why any of these would be unsuitable as a kid hauler.

If money isn't a big issue in the decision, '09 WRX all the way.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Sep 5 2008, 12:55 PM
Something used, if you know you'll be trading in 2-3 years. Why go in knowing you'll have it over the steepest part of the depreciation curve?

Though I don't see why any of these would be unsuitable as a kid hauler.

If money isn't a big issue in the decision, '09 WRX all the way.
yes, they can all be suitable kid haulers...but if we get the MS3 or the WRX, we'll have four manual tranny cars...my wife is getting tired of shifting

so i was figuring we'll get a fun DD now and down the road trade it in for the minivan

good info so far...keep it coming..

-c
Old 09-05-2008, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the 09 Impreza's are being release mid-September. I vote the the Subie wagon.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg,Sep 5 2008, 04:05 AM
need awd - wrx. but beware of the 5spd as i'm not sure how it'll like the newfound power (the 5spd isn't as weak as most make it out to be, but just in case you like to put your DD through some work outs frequently...)

don't need awd - ms3. stock power torque steer wasn't an issue for me. now with just cold air intake which landed 20whp .... torque steer is fun in 2nd gear

IMHO the fit will have you bored out of your mind in a few weeks. that's what happened to me. yes i know it's supposed to be the car touched by magic, but not for me.

oh and, test drive all these cars and the decision should become very clear.
The new wrx's have the LGT 5 speed.. I'd say wrx, but I'm biased..
Old 09-05-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by pup73,Sep 5 2008, 08:20 AM
yes, they can all be suitable kid haulers...but if we get the MS3 or the WRX, we'll have four manual tranny cars...my wife is getting tired of shifting

so i was figuring we'll get a fun DD now and down the road trade it in for the minivan

good info so far...keep it coming..

-c
Fair enough, but what does kids down the road have to do w/ that factor? You have no autos today, and your wife prob. would rather have one now rather than wait for kids to get one. (just guessing)

Well, I guess it's easier to turn around and tend to your kids while driving an auto...
Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Legacy GT, look for a low mileage used one. Nice car, roomy, great engine, nice interior, has decent fun factor and is awd.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you plan on trading in 2 to 3 years and money is an issue at all I would buy the Fit even though it will likely be the least rewarding to drive. You will lose the least amount of money on it by a long shot. Otherwise I like the MS3 slightly more than the WRX.

If you would look at the A3 why not at least drive the GTI with DSG. If your wife would like the automatic this is the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: New Daily Driver, what would you buy?