Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New civic type-R revealed

Old 11-19-2013, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New civic type-R revealed

As the the hot hatch market is starting to heat up, Honda is finally showing us the hotly anticipated next generation Civic Type R. The car was revealed today in near production ready form, without any camouflage.

The new Type R shares all of its bodywork with the standard European Civic hatchback. Instead of flaring the bumpers and wings, the added bolt-on flared elements, giving it the look of a racing car. A big rear wing and four very large exhaust pipes ensure nobody will ever be able to ignore this car.

While the Golf GTI or Ford Focus R have been designed to be more mainstream than ever, the new Type R is as ugly as a Subaru. We don't yet know how close the full production model will come to this one, but as you can see, the plastic surgery has been done by a butcher.

Together with lots of photos of the car, Honda also revealed a brand new engine, the so called 2.0 VTEC TURBO. This all-new unit was developed under the Earth Dreams technology initiative. Unlike the old Civic Type R, which only has a naturally aspirated, 200 hp 2-liter, this new turbo unit has almost class-leading output. Over 280 hp will be honed by what will most likely be a limited slip differential.

All that power and the crazy bodywork are there for a reason: Honda is going after the FWD production car lap record at the Nurburgring, which is currently held by Renault's Megane RS 265 Trophy.

Speaking during recent testing at the Nurburgring, Honda’s WTCC driver Gabriele Tarquini, gave his first driving impressions: "The car and the characteristics of the car were fantastic. I was really impressed by the power and the torque of the engine but also by the set-up they achieved…The car is very pointed on the front and very fast to change direction’. ‘This car is very close to my racing car and you can feel very well the DNA of Type R."

Pictures and videos at autoevolution.com

I Don't think this is a repost but if it is, please delete it mods.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:49 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Lies, all lies. Honda doesn't make fun cars, use turbos, or ever do anything for enthusiasts.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The numbers look good and I'm sure it will be an absolute blast to drive. That said, I'm not sure I like the hatchback body style. It just looks too much like an egg on wheels. Yes, I know they've done it before, but I didn't like it then either.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:05 AM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
The numbers look good and I'm sure it will be an absolute blast to drive. That said, I'm not sure I like the hatchback body style. It just looks too much like an egg on wheels. Yes, I know they've done it before, but I didn't like it then either.
I'm actually the exact opposite of you... I LOVE hatchbacks and am glad that's the body type they're going with

God I love this... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring it to the states! This is finally a step in the right direction for Honda and we need it here in the US!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:05 AM

Old 11-19-2013, 06:07 AM

Nice wheels and brakes! Body is definitely pretty wild - reminds me of a modern STi, though that front end reminds me of an older Ford Focus SVT. Nothing pretty about it, that's for sure...
Old 11-19-2013, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neat.

Too bad we won't get it in the states.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FurY
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1384872899' post='22884017
I'm actually the exact opposite of you... I LOVE hatchbacks and am glad that's the body type they're going with
I can't stop thinking about this bodystyle Civic about 10 years go... absolutely hated it.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by FurY' timestamp='1384873532' post='22884039
[quote name='deepbluejh' timestamp='1384872899' post='22884017']
I can't stop thinking about this bodystyle Civic about 10 years go... absolutely hated it.

[/quote]

Yeah I used to own an EP3 Si... it was definitely the black sheep of the Si's but can look really good if you're willing to put in the time/money.

Personally I think it's perfect:

Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Anyone else notice the "i-DTEC" on the CRV driver side rear door? Any ideas on what that is?

Quick Reply: New civic type-R revealed