Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Civic Type R

Old 07-28-2022, 03:48 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
That was his point. For some of us FWD is a no go off the rip, doesn’t matter what revoknuckle type magic they pull. It’s still being pulled around corners instead of pushed. And while it may be faster in the warm/dry around X circuit or whatever by .something or 2 seconds, whatever it is, inclement weather is a different story. I do find the “it’s faster around X” kind of funny because even us that do some trackdays or attack our mountain/canyon/rural twisty, none of us are racing for dollars. Lap times don’t mean really anything in reality. It’s just a metric that is a slice of a pie. The largest potion of that pie should be driver engagement for the type of driving you’re going to do with it. Are you a fair weather driver as it pertains to sporting purposes, or year round? The internet is a funny thing where you’ve got people who stat chase like they live right next to VIR, it’s always warm/dry year round and there is a river of whiskey or your favorite beer 5 minutes away. In reality it’s just got damn marketing.

I mean we got purists where if it’s a performance car, RWD is the only thing they’ll accept. AWD is “cheating” to them. I get that too. Fun driving to them is only ass hanging out oversteer. I get it because the last thing I’d want is a motorcycle with front and rear drive. On a bike it’s RWD only ICE only or I’m not interested. They can make whatever EV bike they want, not interested.

Or Honda “nerds” like “some” of the CTR buyers where it really doesn’t matter what it does, or what it don’t, it’s a Hype R. It’s a “JDM yo” status symbol for them. I’ve got a guy with one at my gym, with all the mods done to it that would drive Walt in Gran Torino, absolutely batshit. It’s riced out to the max. I talked to the owner. It’ll never see a track, or a corner that isn’t an underpass. Acceleration is stop light or highway pull, that’s it. Most buy them for image.

The good thing we got now is competition in this space, so we finally have some flavors instead of just 1-2 things. In the price space now we have the Twins, the Miata. Then you have the WRX, CTR, soon to be GRC, and the Golf R. IE shit that don’t cost 50, 60, 100k or more. It’s been a minute. 5-6 different manus offering performance something that is somewhat affordable comparatively. RWD, AWD, and FWD offerings. Coupes, vert (wish there was a choice of vert at this price area), sedan, and hatchbacks although there is only one remaining 3 door hatch on the market, the JCW. That’s a good thing as everyone has a somewhat affordable choice now. I think we can all agree on that. if 100% ICE 6MT is going away soon as all indicators say, at least at these price points, shit, finally we have some choices. Toyota didn’t make shit for over 20 years. Now they got 3 GR models. Honda hasn’t had an “all new” thing in the performance space since the S2000 which is why we are all here. VW has been consistent with their offering, same for Mazda. But the others haven’t even been around. Go up to 50k and now you add a 6th or 7th mfr with the Z, and then include the Supra. Golden days to me at the end. And I do think it’s the end over the next 5 years unless you enjoy dropping 100k on shit with a DCT.
You get me, you really get me
Old 07-28-2022, 05:43 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I tracked a CTR a few months ago and while it was really fast, it was way too boring for me. This was the first time I have ever driven a FWD car in a performance setting and I have no desire to ever do it again.

The car is fabulous as a fun DD, but I would have no desire to drive it on track if I owned one.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:49 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Shift9303
probably cross shopping with the GR86, GR Carola and Supra
Are we twins?

Been eyeballing the next car and this is the exact same list, which was amended by this new CTR, cause it actually looks good. Top of my list is the Supra manual, bottom GR86.

If you haven't realized we are in a very awesome time for cars that are performance and driver orientated -- consider the options you have for all under $70k:
Miata, Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, 400Z, Supra, CTR, GR86, Cayman, S4, RS3, Golf R, GTI, Veloster N, Stinger, WRX, Giulia, M3 (cheating here just a bit), Caddy V-sedans, C43.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:59 AM

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

I had a Mazdaspeed 3 years ago that I used to track and autox during a time in my life where I was at a track or event more often than not. If you're serious about becoming a better driver and have little/no experience in racing FWD cars, they can teach you certain things that are harder to learn in a RWD and even AWD to a degree. I learned a lot about throttle control, understeer correction, trail braking, car setup and found ways to drive around an heavily understeer-prone car. Being quick in one type of vehicle is commendable...being able to adapt to any vehicle is impressive. While the FWD may have been slightly less fun (debatable), I wouldn't trade what I learned for any car or drivetrain.

Most people spending $40k+ on a Honda Civic are going to be weekend warriors or local autox at best....if they race their car at all which is fine.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:54 AM

Received 102 Likes on 54 Posts

For those interested in getting the CTR, if Honda is truly going to limit production, would you guys get a Civic Si or Integra (as-is, the Type S has not been announced) instead?
Old 07-28-2022, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nil-S2k
I had a Mazdaspeed 3 years ago that I used to track and autox during a time in my life where I was at a track or event more often than not. If you're serious about becoming a better driver and have little/no experience in racing FWD cars, they can teach you certain things that are harder to learn in a RWD and even AWD to a degree. I learned a lot about throttle control, understeer correction, trail braking, car setup and found ways to drive around an heavily understeer-prone car. Being quick in one type of vehicle is commendable...being able to adapt to any vehicle is impressive. While the FWD may have been slightly less fun (debatable), I wouldn't trade what I learned for any car or drivetrain.

Most people spending $40k+ on a Honda Civic are going to be weekend warriors or local autox at best....if they race their car at all which is fine.
There is general agreement in the car community that having one axle doing all the work, braking, steering and power is less than ideal. So respectfully its great you made a FWD car go around a track but there is a reason why sports cars are RWD or RW-AWD platforms. Alot of the skills you learn to make FWD work don't apply to RWD platforms, just like you're not going to learn about steering the car with the throttle on a FWD platform.

I'd buy a lightly used GT350 with its track package. So much more car for the money than this CTR.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:04 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Tell me you don't know anything about performance driving, without telling you don't know anything about performance driving.

rob-2, you go first:
Originally Posted by rob-2
Alot of the skills you learn to make FWD work don't apply to RWD platforms, just like you're not going to learn about steering the car with the throttle on a FWD platform.
Old 07-28-2022, 02:29 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Nil-S2k

Most spending 40k on a Honda Civic are going to use it the same way someone else would use a Prius. It’s a daily driver, that’s it. Over 90%, the car will never see a track. Your local mountain, canyon, or rural twisty road, about the same, less than 10%, probably less than 5% will ever use if for sport driving of any kind. Highway pulls, WFO from a stop light, that’s about as far as the thing will ever be used. That may even be as high as 97%.

And what you described is not racing dude. Racing means you got a contract, IE you driving for a living pays your mortgage, pays for the food on the table, etc. You’re hobbyists at best and even if there are “prizes” it’s akin to the stereotypical guy in the office who won the golf club tournament which just a tournament among golf club members. No pros entered the tournament, nobody from the PGA. Because a PGA is actually racing or competing and would wipe the floor with the lot of them. Track days and Auto X is not racing. It’s wannabe racing. That’s why it should be referred to as a track day or Auto X, not racing. There is semi pro stuff where obtain a racing license and race in a semi pro environment. That’s racing, but it should be called semi pro because honestly that’s what it is, novices, amateurs, not professionals. Professionals are contracted. Real races contain bleachers and fans. There is a podium celebration at the end. Practice sessions, qualifying, then the race itself.

Most people here, we’ve owned FWD LSD platforms and pushed them. RWD LSD platforms and pushed those. We aren’t Billy’s (sorry Billy, not you bro, you’re an actual pro) off the street jumping on the merry go round for the first time. I can emphatically tell you I have little to nothing to learn from a turbo charged FWD lsd platform on track or off it. Been there and done that, with a turbo FWD vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
rob-2 (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 04:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my favorite cars, I've owned is probably a s2000. I do miss it at times and tried to get back into one recently and the prices are just too high. I currently own a Limited Edition Type R and it's a great all around car. If I had to pick a car just to drive on weekends, I'd pick s2000. But to have 1 car for everyday use, I have to say the Type R checks all the boxes. I still keep in touch with the guy I sold my last s2000. Maybe one day he'll sell it back to me. I plan on buying the new FL5 in the near future.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Driven
Tell me you don't know anything about performance driving, without telling you don't know anything about performance driving.

rob-2, you go first:
I dont debate ignorance but if you firmly believe your position good for you. If you're going to sit on the internet and tell me FWD learnings apply to RWD I know you have no idea what you're talking about. I'll even pick slightly different lines based on the drive train because of what it can and cannot do. Any time you want to jump on the track together you're welcome to join me. PM me directly.

Quick Reply: New Civic Type R