Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Civic Type R

Old 10-28-2022, 04:01 AM

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

That's a tough price to swallow even if you can get it at sticker. The Corolla GR enters the market considerably lower and includes AWD. The availability, however.....
Old 10-28-2022, 04:06 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

You'd have to be an idiot to spend $75K on a Civic Type R. Here in Canada, at $50K, I'd have to think I'd take a RWD competitor (BRZ or 86) at way less money ($34K, give or take) or else buy a cheaper (!) AWD competitor (GR Corolla) that gives me better year-round use and equal performance (on the street). I don't have a race track here so street performance is all that matters to me.

For those that track their car, I think the Type R will be a very quick car but even at $50K, I have options like a Camaro SS 1LE or similar with way more power for similar money...
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 05:08 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

60k, 70k for a front wheel drive car? LMAO.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:19 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
$5k higher than the outgoing CTR isn't a bad deal IMO for the upgrade it offers, but I've heard of some US dealers asking $20k mark-ups. Not an issue in Canada where dealers can't charge mark-ups above MSRP and they do it right.
What upgrades? This isn't some revolutionary model. It's the same powertrain as before. Same suspension design. Sure they made some minor tweaks but come on, don't create excuses that don't exist.

That aside, given the increased price of an Si (also a joke), this outcome was entirely predictable.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:45 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
What upgrades? This isn't some revolutionary model. It's the same powertrain as before. Same suspension design. Sure they made some minor tweaks but come on, don't create excuses that don't exist.

That aside, given the increased price of an Si (also a joke), this outcome was entirely predictable.

Beat me to it, yeah there wasn't some quantum leap here, just minor tweaks, I think the recurring comment about the car was to not screw up the what made the prior gen good, vs let's go all out and improve this thing.

Yeah the pricing is a joke, and I think Honda knows it, but seeing what dealers are getting with ADM I guess the figured it was time for them to get a piece of that pie. Toyota's pricing of the GRC makes more sense, but I will say as a car, not performance car, the Civic is probably nicer. Not saying nice enough to warrant the price difference, especially when factoring in the lack of AWD, but the price hikes are just ridiculous.

In any rate, we can complain all we want, but if the market is paying these prices then it is what it is. I mean no one is complaining that they're able to sell/trade their cars for much more than they thought. My bigger criticism is that for years, if not decades, we've been hearing no one wants a stick, no one wants a small car, enthusiast cars are this and that, and yet here we are.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDonEffect:
silvio1522 (10-28-2022), WolfpackS2k (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 09:36 AM

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Is the $999 Dealer Fee the charge for bending you over?
Old 10-28-2022, 10:18 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Funny how people can comment on a car without driving it. Spending 50k makes you an idiot regardless of ones financial status?!
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 10:51 AM

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
Funny how people can comment on a car without driving it. Spending 50k makes you an idiot regardless of ones financial status?!
Get used to it; it’s the norm around here.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:13 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbfgc
Get used to it; it’s the norm around here.
That's the whole point of Car/Bike Talk...to talk about cars and sometimes talk smack about cars you have no personal experience with at all, but maybe you read an article or watched an online video about it. That then makes you a resident expert.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:41 AM

Received 3,774 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k

Interior, exterior, engine, suspension, exhaust, aero, wheels, transmission, steering, technology, etc. I'd rather have the current gen for $5k more over the last gen, that's all, 5k is peanuts/lunch money.

The SI is a super cheap bargain basement compact car, also a car that I'd pay more money for compared to the last gen (I actually did). I don't mind cars with evolutionary changes over revolutionary changes, both new cars I bought this year would be classified as such. I'm not saying I would pay a penny of any ADM, but I don't find the msrp all that bad. Some people just don't want what the "other" cars may offer even if they are better, faster, cheaper etc. , Honda will sell all of the CTR's and ITR's they plan on selling , people will buy them and it is their money and their choice so who cares. I can think of many cars that are more expensive than the CTR which I would never want even at the same cost.

Quick Reply: New Civic Type R