Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Civic Type R

Old 07-21-2022, 07:29 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts
Default New Civic Type R

Last edited by TheDonEffect; 07-22-2022 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Add pictures.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:40 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Meh.

Also I find it nothing but attention whoring to announce it is the most powerful CTR ever, but not disclosure how much power it actually makes.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:32 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Meh.

Also I find it nothing but attention whoring to announce it is the most powerful CTR ever, but not disclosure how much power it actually makes.
A guy in Japan ordered it this morning. It’s like 325/330 HP. Torque was around 309. Weight was 3152. I did the conversions last night before I went to bed.

Still front wheel drive only, and a damn shame, that like Subaru with the WRX, insist on competing in the space of one. I could only think what the vehicle would be capable with their excellent SH-AWD system. With that they’d really be competing with the Golf R and coming GR Corolla.
The following users liked this post:
S2020 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:40 PM

I actually like it. Honda did a good job with the styling, well as good of a job as you can do with an economy priced sedan. It's like they finally listened to actual buyers and not a bunch of online focus groups. I could do without the wing but it's appropriate I suppose for what it is. The interior is still best in class imo.

I dunno, I dig it, they did all the right things, even the wheels are smaller diameter, flares are subtle, all the vents are functional and real, even the three tailpipes looks better. Looks like the adults finally came back into the room.

Yeah, bummer that it has no AWD, but I suspect that this thing should be a decent amount cheaper than the Golf R and GR Corolla as well. I think theyre being hush hush to hopefully see where the Corolla ends up landing with price and performance.

Without a wing, this thing has total sleeper appeal, with the understated flares and everything else, dare I say it may be even be a downright good looking car.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:34 AM

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

It's a massive improvement, aesthetically, from the previous generation. My biggest gripe about the CTR was the stupid amount of fake vents, winglets...it just looked like a Pep-Boyed Civic. I think this understated style suits the CTR better and calls back to some of the first CTRs that had very few visual cues that set it apart. I think very few of us would have a negative thing to say about how the original CTRs looked. I do wish it was a 2 door but that's mostly just a preference and I'm sure a lot of people appreciate the back seats. I'm seriously considering this and the GR Corolla. Hopefully by the time both are available, the new car market will be a bit more reasonable.

The following 2 users liked this post by Nil-S2k:
S2020 (07-25-2022), TheDonEffect (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 08:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My biggest complain and what it will hold me to buy it is the front wheel drive, at least make it AWD
Old 07-22-2022, 09:17 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I like it. Would love a fun sedan with a stick. My biggest complaint on the last model, outside of the garish looks which kind of grew on me over time was the lack of heated seats and wheel and the fact I live in a frozen hellscape for 5 months a year. I still hate that it does not have them but then you say to yourself, "the Integra S will have them when it comes out." So, it is all good.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:40 AM

Yeah, AWD definitely would've been better, but that's the thing, they already got those offerings in the Golf R or the GR Corolla, hell maybe even an STI one day. Presumably this car will be notably cheaper, and I can appreciate simpler drivetrain. Just remove the wing and I think everyone that wanted a "touring" version of the last CTR will get what they want here. You remove that wing and it pretty much blends in, but it has those flared fenders to set it apart which will give it more presence.

By the looks of it, this thing should be priced competitively, just like the Si. Why get into a war where no one eventually wins, why not stay in your lane and do what you do well.

I'm not going to say the last gen grew on me, but seeing it more and more in a sea of all the other modern cars, it's looks don't seem so outlandish like it did when I first saw it. The flares and such really gives it presence, so something cool to look at while driving around vs all the jelly bean overstyled CUVs that are everywhere. This new car should be really nice.

So if they price it around 38k, should be a solid proposition, it'll compete on price with the WRX and to an extent the GTI, it will be significantly cheaper than the AWD VW and Toyota, and presumably compete with their performance while killing the WRX and GTI.

It's not for me though, but I totally dig this car and in the right situation I can see myself actually owning this one. Give it to me in white or silver, take off the wing, change out the wheels to something more subtle and more sidewall, and just drive it under the radar. Frankly, I think it would be a homerun if they detuned it a tad to meet a lower price point, compete with the upper end of the GTI options list.

Feels like Honda is getting back in touch with their character.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:54 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

It definitely looks better than the last model. Rear spoiler looks stuck on and cheesy as does the exhaust. I love the design philosophy of "Type R" described in the video, but honestly how can you fail to acknowledge that you simply can't have the best handling or the ultimate driving pleasure with a FWD platform? It can be the best FWD car out there and it still won't be as fun as RWD. It's a performance car in 2022, you have SH-AWD available, and nobody cares if it costs a little more.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by rwheelz
It definitely looks better than the last model. Rear spoiler looks stuck on and cheesy as does the exhaust. I love the design philosophy of "Type R" described in the video, but honestly how can you fail to acknowledge that you simply can't have the best handling or the ultimate driving pleasure with a FWD platform? It can be the best FWD car out there and it still won't be as fun as RWD. It's a performance car in 2022, you have SH-AWD available, and nobody cares if it costs a little more.

So, full disclaimer this is not a car I have any aspirations to buy, and I find myself in a unique situation defending a Type R product since I tend to be a critic of theirs, but for the sake of conversation here goes.

I agree that if all things are equal, I want power to the rear wheels. But that is not the car, doing so will compromise usually practicality, weight, and cost, oftentimes all three. FWD's advantages is cabin space, drivetrain simplicity, and cost.

So I disagree with the cost thing. Lots of people care, the people who make the purchasing decisions in year 2, 3, 8 in a model life cycle care a lot. Year 1 is all the idiot hype beast types that want to post on their socials so they can feel like a pseudo celebrity.

So consider this, the Golf, the Civic's natural competitior. The GTI starts at 30, then jumps to 34 for the SE, and then liek 37 or 38 for the top spec. The Golf R is 45k. The last gen Type R was 38k. So from a price standpoint, it competes more directly to the GTI than the Golf R, so it's feasible then that a would be GTI owner could look at the Type R and make that financial stretch. Meanwhile, all the magazine numbers, track times, all the crap people fixate on when buying a performance car, the Type R actually competes against the higher priced R. You don't see comparisons to the GTI, only the R and STIs of the world.

So in alot of ways, if I want to compliment myself, it's a thinking man's choice. For the price of a loaded GTI/WRX, I can get Golf R/STI level performance, trade off being FWD vs AWD which only becomes a problem when I start driving well beyond legal limitations. But day to day driving won't notice it so much.

The problem I had with the prior gen is that it looked the way it did, here you make a sorta sensible decision and then it goes and looks like that. This current gen now just sorta fits in my head better.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheDonEffect:
rwheelz (08-05-2022), S2020 (07-25-2022), The King (07-27-2022)

Quick Reply: New Civic Type R