Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

new civic si

Old 09-11-2002, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen 3 Civic Si's on the road in Toronto since they went on sale in May. One was particularly nasty - red with cheap black thin spoke alloys. Looked absolutely terrible.

On the other hand, I see lots of Nissan SER's and several Mini Cooper/Cooper S's a day.

They're probably discounting them so heavily because they can't move them. I mean, who would buy one with all the other great pocket rockets out there?
Old 09-11-2002, 06:17 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Having had good test drives in the Civic Si, the Cooper, Cooper S, SER Spec V, and the SVT Focus I would rank them as follows.

1. Mini Cooper S
2. Mini Cooper
3. SVT Focus (That was a surprise)
4. I'll go with a tie between the Civic Si and the Spec V

The Si is nice and would be a good buy at that price but a base Mini Cooper that may not be as fast in a straight line is about the same price and MUCH more fun to drive. The Cooper is what the CRX should have become. Shame on Honda for letting BMW do it first.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:46 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The local Honda dealer here has 2 Civic Si's on the lot. Both are silver. It's sad because no one ever really looks at the Si. A friend of mine that works at the dealer says that the only folks who have looked at the Si are those considering a Civic Coupe. After the drive, they still opt for the Coupe and not the Si. Overall, there decision is based on looks.

Other Honda dealers in the area also have Si's simply sitting on the lot and if you look at their insection stickers, you can see they have been sitting there for over 6 months. Within 45 miles, I can assure you that there are at least 8 or 9 Si's sitting ont he lot.

I have one of the Si's here at my office in an effort to increase the awareness. Hopefully someone will buy it. I have been driving it off and on for a few months now. Just little errands to the Post Office and maybe to get lunch. It's really nice and built well. If I really wanted a 2nd car, I think I would really consider the Si.

Oh well. . .I just hope someone eventually buys it and really loves it for what it is, a Honda.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:27 PM

Someone on this board has a really funny picture in his signiture that i believe somes it all up perfectly. Its a pic of Dr Evil from Austin Powers sitting in between an Odyssey and a Si, the caption reads "I call it mini me!!!"

Get it, odyssey, civic, mini me? lol, i thought it was hillarious.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:30 PM

The local Honda dealership has 25 Si's when I last checked on their website. When I test drove one about a week ago, w/o even bargaining the finance manager offered it to me for invoice (Around $17,300). So, I'm sure I can get it cheaper then invoice. BTW, I love the seats in the Si's.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:55 PM

S2kRob - You're doing better than me. I've only seen one Si in Toronto since they came out. However, I've seen dozens of Mini's (might have something to do with living nearly next to the dealership on King St.)

CG - was the shifter feel in the Spec V as bad as all the magazine reviews say it is?

Edit - never mind. Found an old post of yours saying the shift feel wasn't too bad...