Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Car Suggestions

Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Suggestions

Hey Guys. Recently I got into a major accident and needless to say, I'm in the market for a new car. I wanna hear your guys suggestions. My budget is below $20,000. I have an open mind to FWD and AWD. Here are my cars right now.

FWD:
Acura Rsx Type-S
Acura TSX (6-speed)
Mazdaspeed 3 (Hearing torque steer is crazy with this car)

RWD:
S2000

AWD:
WRX/STI ? (Been hearing problems about them and kinda making me turn away from them but both of my buddies have sti's with over 150k on them and both of them are running strong)
Legacy GT
Old 11-21-2013, 05:17 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

How about a Fiat Abarth? Plenty of used ones available at your price.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWD
05-08 Acura TL

RWD
LS2 Pontiac GTO

AWD
Mazdaspeed 6

Out of all the cars on your list I would choose the S2000.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I have had an S2000 as a second car for about 10 years now. This was the first year that due to ordering a vehicle and trading in my DD I had to use the S2000 as my one and only car for about 5 months, and I am surprised to say I hated it.

It is not that I don't like the car, I love the car. But having it as my one and only got old mostly due to the higher noise levels in the bare interior and the harsh ride, cramped quarters and ability to haul just a couple bags of groceries. These are things that I love for a few thousand miles every year and the car can be a joy to drive, but near the end of that five months, I just wanted a quiet smooth ride to work just once! On a nice day its a great car, in bad weather its a bad car.

I am going to dump more money into it this summer because I still like it and even boosted it is rock solid reliable, but if I was only able to have one car I'd have to look elsewhere. I realize some people don't have the space, budget, or are in a different stage of life where you don't have the house and need a Home Depot machine, just a car to drive your date around in and for that the S works fine I suppose.

My advice is get a Legacy GT, the RSX (even the non-Type S) or TSX as cheap as you can as a daily (or even Civic/Accord)if you want some sportiness, and get the S2000 as a second car when you have the cash. The daily does not even have to be that nice or used that often, but it is nice to have the second car option.

When I was just out of college I did an MR2 and a beater Toyota pickup tandem and it worked great. Having a beater car you don't give a crap about is highly underrated. For $20k you can easily get a decent beater and an S if you have the room and don't mind insuring two cars. Beater pickup/suv = hauling skis, mountain bikes, off roading, canoe/kayak, and you only drive it when you want to. And if you plan on modding your S, you WILL have downtime and need other transportation. My second car now is a sporty four door, but I would love to still have a beater pickup too.

Sorry for the rant. Have fun shopping.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 AM

Legacy GT

Great car and value.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your only criteria is that the vehicle needs to be under $20k? Or is it $20k for whatever condition you can find for the cars you've listed?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Post-S2000, I think you'll find the RSX-S disappointing.

But if you insist, I'll sell you my wife's right now for $19,995.00
Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Avoid anything boosted from Subi. Can tell you first hand they aren't well made.

Are you looking for a daily driver?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:22 AM

why not consider an evo?
Old 11-21-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by TW00Si
Your only criteria is that the vehicle needs to be under $20k? Or is it $20k for whatever condition you can find for the cars you've listed?
Any vehicle that's under $20k

Originally Posted by rob-2
Avoid anything boosted from Subi. Can tell you first hand they aren't well made.

Are you looking for a daily driver?
Yes, this will be my DD. I live in NY and we get a reasonable amount of snow here so that's why i'm kinda leaning towards AWD but still considering FWD and RWD. I have been considering the Legacy GT. Does it have the same problems as all the other boosted subi's do?

Quick Reply: New Car Suggestions