Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Car Decision

Old 04-26-2007, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about you get a job to pay for your own car AND insurance instead of having a "dilemma" such as this?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the car your dad wants you to get and be grateful for the opportunity. In this stage of your life, you want the LEAST amount of financial commitments as possible. Save your money or blow it on massive keggers, road trips, hookers, gambling etc. You'll have MUCH better memories doing these things then being a slave to your S2000.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it seems like anymore, nobody really has to work, or pay for their own cars if they are younger or living at home. i dont get it? i say, go out there snag yourself a job, save up some $ and then buy what YOU want and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that YOU bought and paid for YOUR car. its a great feeling. every car i've owned, i've paid for, and if i can do then anyone can.

and no, im not jealous. more just supprised but the amount of 30k+ car owners that have their car bought by mommy and daddy. my dad's made 6+ figures for years now and always urged me to try and do it on my own, and you know, he was right. it is a great feeling.

im not flaming you at all, dont take my words that way. its more of a shocker to me the more and more read on the boards, the more of these kinda posts i see.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by kadeshpa,Apr 26 2007, 02:38 PM
Get the car your dad wants you to get and be grateful for the opportunity. In this stage of your life, you want the LEAST amount of financial commitments as possible. Save your money or blow it on massive keggers, road trips, hookers, gambling etc. You'll have MUCH better memories doing these things then being a slave to your S2000.
This is exactly what I was trying to say. At this stage in your life, there is no real reason to be concerned with material stuff. I'd just focus on getting laid, having fun, doing stupid shit, etc. There's plenty of time to accumulate junk when you're older, married, etc. At which time, you may just look back with fondness for the days when you had no responsibility...
Old 04-26-2007, 03:32 PM

BMW > G35

you'll know once you sit in the G35... I loved them, until I sat in one... cheaper interior than an Impreza.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Apr 25 2007, 08:20 PM
i have both cars that you are considering... sorta
i have the s2000 and a 330cic (the convertible version of the car that you are looking at)

two different cars in most respects- my bmw has a sport suspension, so it is tighter than normal, but even with the tight suspension, i do not trust the bmw as much as i trust the s2000 at limit in corners. the bmw is a heavier car and it feels it. the bmw is a better car for longer road trips (cause it has more room), and the s2000 is a better car for round town and for trips with nice windy roads.
the s2000 is an exhilerating drivers car. the bmw is a little more of a compromise- still has nice power and handles well, but not quite as much fun as a drivers car... it is a bit more tame.
i know that you are not looking at the convert bmw, but one of my fav things about mine is the remote top down- wish the s2000 had that!

(btw- rock chalk jayhawk... go k.u.!!)
I agree with this dude. I haven't driven the BMW nearly as much as the S, but when I did drive it, just a couple times, I was not impressed. It is a smooth ride and they look great but I just didn't think it had the power. Also, I don't know what year you were looking at, but I thought the BMW's interior was made to look luxurious rather than be luxurious.

And, if I could do it all over again, I would drive reliable beater cars through college and spend all of my money on having fun on the weekends. Once you graduate and have to get up at the ass-crack of dawn every day to go to work and listen to 8 bosses drone on about mission statements (Office Space paraphrase), you might find yourself thinking, "I wish I was still in college."

On the other hand, if you (or your father) can afford it without affecting the enjoyment of your college years, then fuk it. You only live once....so enjoy yourself.