Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Car Decision

Old 04-25-2007, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Decision

Okay so im in the market for a new car. I currently drive an RSX type S and love it. Im looking for something sporting to say the least but my dad (whos paying for this) wants me to get a sedan to save on insurance. So i have the option of paying my insurance if i get a sports car or just getting a 328i 2007 and not having to pay anything on top of it most likely. Im just not sure if a 328i will have enough power for me and might be a little too civilized lol. Hence why im thinking about the S2000. Im just curious what you incredibly biased guys on a S2000 forum think i should do lol. How bad is the insurance gonna be lol.... cause the convertible top and extreme grip seem to really appeal to me.

Anyway... just thought you guys might want to share in my decision

Ps. Im very fortunate to have this choice at all and i know it so dont flame me like they did on the BMW boards.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:07 PM

i'm pretty sure everyone on this board is going to tell you to get the s2000.

if anything, the s2000 is going to be a wayyyyyyy more reliable car.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:07 PM

The BMW will feel much more "refined" and "smooth", which you may or may not want. The 328 is a very nice car and you won't be sorry with it. On the other hand, the S2000 comes with lots of raw fun, but almost zero practicality. I'd say if you drive a lot and live in an area with snow, go with the BMW but if this is your occasional driver, go with the S2000. As for insurance, you should be able to find out by placing a phone call to your current insurance company. I don't think the S2000 will be much more, if at all. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by joosyjoos,Apr 25 2007, 03:03 PM
. . . dont flame me like they did on the BMW boards.
Do you really want to buy a bimmer and be associated with people who would treat you like that?

If you want to be able to haul four people occasionally, buy the bimmer. If you want to make sure that you cannot get stuck hauling four people, buy the Honda. If you don't care about how many people you haul around, start a new thread asking whether you should buy an X5 or an Odyssey.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:19 PM

Anyway pops will spot you for a 335 ? That will surely have enough power for you.... easy decision over the s2000, of course, it costs quite a bit more as well.

If the old man is covering all expenses, I say go for whatever is given to you, and save the rest for traveling and/or a house. The decisions you make at such an early age can have a GREAT affect on where you are even in your late 20's....

Old 04-25-2007, 03:41 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why not have him get you a VW GTI with two or four doors? It's a fun car and even though it's FWD it should be more fun to drive than the BMW. It he's willing to go for it and pay the insurance, why not? He should be since it's a "cheaper" car. I know that sounds nuts but go drive one before you form your opinion. No, it's not as fun as the S2000 but if he's paying all the bills and you don't have to worry...
Old 04-25-2007, 03:42 PM

Ya theres no way he would ever go for a 335 otherwise id be busy driving it around by now haha. I live in Atlanta so snow wouldnt be an issue at all. I dont ever want to drive people around (it drives me crazy cause tehy always play with stuff in my car). So i dont know... thanks for the opinions guys.

im sure ill be happy with either... but somehow i dont feel like im "old" enough for a BMW. I just feel like id rather have a toy thats a bit more raw kind of. Ill be driving it daily in traffic too... not sure if that really matters because i get by fine with the lack of torque in my RSX and id have a manual in the 328 too anyway.

Keep the opinions coming guys... we'll see who can win me over! lol

And yes... those BMW people hurt my feelings (lol!!) but ill admit to being a BMW fanboy because my dad has owned M3's, Z4 M coupes and about every other BMW imaginable.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:47 PM

Link to the BMW thread?

Old 04-25-2007, 03:49 PM

No way man... its too brutal....

I only narrowly escaped.... lol
Old 04-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by CG,Apr 25 2007, 03:41 PM
Why not have him get you a VW GTI with two or four doors? It's a fun car and even though it's FWD it should be more fun to drive than the BMW. It he's willing to go for it and pay the insurance, why not? He should be since it's a "cheaper" car. I know that sounds nuts but go drive one before you form your opinion. No, it's not as fun as the S2000 but if he's paying all the bills and you don't have to worry...
Ahh what the heck, test drive a Yaris too

Quick Reply: New Car Decision