Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Acura RSX-Type S Factory Performance Package! (Pic)

Old 07-16-2002, 01:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Acura RSX-Type S Factory Performance Package! (Pic)

Acura will offer its first Factory Performance package for the RSX Type-S at dealerships nationwide beginning in early 2003.

The Factory Performance package features track-tuned shocks and springs that lower the car by approximately one inch. These shocks and springs combined with lightweight aluminum alloy wheels, 17-inch high performance tires, slotted brake rotors and performance brake pads give the RSX Type-S razor sharp handling, reduced body roll, increased cornering grip and enhanced braking performance. A rear wing spoiler, an under-body spoiler kit and an interior trim package featuring a Factory Performance shift knob and badging, give the car an aggressive, high performance look.

"Since the RSX Type-S is already so popular with the performance enthusiast market, it gives us the perfect opportunity to launch this exciting collection of factory high performance components," said Stony Furutani, manager of accessory marketing. "An RSX owner can now build a pure Acura performance vehicle with no compromises and without voiding the factory warranty on their car."

The Factory Performance package will have an MSRP of $4,800 plus installation. While Acura offers a wide range of dealer installed accessories, the introduction of the RSX Type-S Factory Performance package marks the first time Acura will offer a comprehensive high performance kit to be installed by dealers and covered under a factory warranty.

"The warranty coverage alone makes buying the Factory Performance package a smart move versus buying aftermarket parts," explained Furutani. "And since it includes only genuine Acura parts, you know you're getting the same high level of quality as the rest of your vehicle."

The RSX Type-S Factory Performance package will include:

High performance, track-tuned shocks and springs
Slotted brake rotors and performance brake pads
Lightweight 17x7.5 inch alloy wheels
High performance tires (225/45VR17)
Factory performance rear wing spoiler
Under-body spoiler kit
Metallic look interior trim kit
Factory Performance shift knob
Factory Performance badging

I wonder if these slotted rotors will make it into the production models. If so, perhaps this could be an '03 upgrade on S2000's!

I like it! Honda is also working the Factory Performance program with their Civic's! Here's a pic of one in Knoxville's WestSide Honda during my Dragon visit this weekend.

Old 07-16-2002, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea but I'm not sold on the execution.

What's the point of adding all that heavy lower body cladding anyways?

The real point is this. Thank God Honda is finally pulling its head out of its corporate ass and moving towards fully embracing the import tuner crowd. For a while, I was worried that Honda was going to sit by and let Ford with SVT and Toyota with TRD, Kazuma, etc. take over a segment that Honda inadvertently created.

Now, I have a question.

Why the hell are upgraded wheels, tires, supsension and brakes not available for the real sports car sold by Honda in the US under the Honda name? In other words, why does the RSX get upgraded wheels, tires and brakes and the S2K does not?

Are you listening Honda????
Old 07-16-2002, 02:06 PM

They should of just brought the RSX Type-R.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:20 PM

Geebus! $4800 + installation??

Wouldn't it be much cheaper to install aftermarket parts on your own? Of course, I wouldn't know..
Old 07-16-2002, 03:16 PM

That rear wing is ugly, but i likes the wheels, tires, and rotors.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:19 PM

that thing is just a fake rsx type-r...what do they mean that performance parts are now under "factory warranty"....obviously anything they put on the car must be under their warranty....They make it sound like if you get a turbo and blow the engine or something they're going to fix it...it's dropped, but your gonna have to drop it even more all over again cause it's not low enough...
basically it's a RSX with OEM kit, type r wing, and better stock brakes...rims aren't anything cause people buy them to distinguish their car...what's the point if it's a option on the car, a lot of people are gonna buy em...

$4800???? wouldn't it be better to get a diff. bodykit, brakes, springs, 17's, etc. It would probably cost about the same, maybe even cheaper depending on the part....

just my $.02
Old 07-16-2002, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol....very old news in clubrsx.com....
Old 07-16-2002, 05:22 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by eyescream
lol....very old news in clubrsx.com....
To be expected on a board that focuses on the car!

Same here with anything related to the S2000.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by s2kyle
That rear wing is ugly, but i likes the wheels, tires, and rotors.
ditto
Old 07-16-2002, 05:35 PM

I think most of us RSX'ers were pretty dissapointed with the Performance Package. For that kind of money I would expect a LSD, maybe Brembo brakes ect. To hell with the useless wing, kit, and other things that have nothing to do with Performance. I mean for god sake I could buy a 350Z for the price of a Type-S plus the package! Ok done venting.

Quick Reply: New Acura RSX-Type S Factory Performance Package! (Pic)